Author Topic: Does anybody here use Audible  (Read 4614 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Does anybody here use Audible
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »
[slickantic]I have no idea what any of that meant.[/slickantic]
ok that wiki article sucked, sorry.
basically you chop the sound file into segments, then let them overlap, then add them back up.  depending on how much you overlap, you get a shorter file.  I don't fully understand why this works, but hey, it does.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »
Audible is pretty good. Can no longer justify such an expense, not on the student loans I'm living on these days. The library system I'm a patron of has everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, so that works just dandy for me. I'd say audible is worth the expense, if you have the disposable income (pennies in a bucket really) and voraciously love audiobooks.

The one thing I always hated though; buying a book only to find out the reader was crap. Nothing worse than a brilliant writer or his/her brilliant book being massacred by a "meh" reader (Packing For Mars by Mary Roach, read by mutilated by Sandra Burr... They should have gotten Felicity Day or someone who was into the subject or who had at least read the book before the recording sessions. /rant) GRRRR.... And they don't have everything, and sometimes they didn't have the book I wanted being read by the reader I wanted, and found what I was looking for elsewhere, usually for free. So, there's that.

Offline DoctorOHM

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Would you?
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 04:46:11 PM »
Oh, i've been using Audible for like a year now. Absolutely love it! One credit/month works great for me, and sometimes i buy a book when they have a sale or something.
"I'm part of the form-destroying process of entropy"
"To err is human. To arr is pirate"

Offline Holden Attradies

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Ak Flair
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 02:19:49 AM »
Over the last year they added a pretty in depth rating system for books, not just a five star over all but broken down into "Overall", "Performance", and "Story."  And the reviews tend to be pretty reliable on noting a bad reader.

I've used if for a few years now and listen to on average 3-4 audiobooks a month and it's GREAT if you listen to more than one a month.  The subscription thing is worth it, even for one credit.  You are allowed to save the credits so if you go a few months without starting a new book it's no big deal.  Having a credit subscription membership gives you a discount on books when your out of credits and once a month they offer to sell you a bundle of extra credits at a heavily reduced price (if your out).

The only complaint that I have ever had is that you can't share your audiobooks with anyone, even if they have an audible account.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
The only complaint that I have ever had is that you can't share your audiobooks with anyone, even if they have an audible account.

You can, but it's super annyoing.  You can burn your books to CD through iTunes.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Holden Attradies

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Ak Flair
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »
As a none mp3 file?

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
Right, a standard audio CD. I assume you could then rip it to MP3, but it might be locked somehow.  Like I say, huge pain in the ass.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:03 AM »
I've had audible for a few years now. I'm a 1 credit per monther, because I also devour podcasts. I think the membership is worth it, because you get discounts on audiobooks in addition to the credit, and occasionally they'll have a free thing that's worth downloading--that's how I was able to get "Go the F*ck to Sleep" read by Samuel L Jackson for free. 8) I HATEHATEHATEHATE DRM, but I can live with it for the properly formatted audiobooks I get. Audiobooks in an mp3 format are a nightmare.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 05:46:46 AM »
I bumped up to 2/month a little while ago but may drop down to 1 soon. Currently in the stable (although not being listened to much recently): Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, who is made of aWesome.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
I bumped up to 2/month a little while ago but may drop down to 1 soon. Currently in the stable (although not being listened to much recently): Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, who is made of aWesome.

Welcome back, JS.  You were missed.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »
I've been considering going up to two. And agree about Moore. I blew through like five or six of his books last year before I ran out of steam.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
I "read" Sacre Bleu a couple months ago and it was fan-freaking-tastic. It occurs to me that I write a little bit like him. Only, like, not as well. And less jokey (in the narrative medium; as you can see, I'm sure, I gots plenty of joek in expository writing). Man... now I want to go out for a long, pointless walk just to listen to that some.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »
I finally joined Audible as I am just not reading hard copy fictional books that much.

I got through Terry Prachett's 'Snuff' in about 24 hours.

Offline dylanharris

• Off to a Start
  • a broad brit abroad
    • arts & ego
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Another happy audible listener here.

I'm on two books a month, but that's too much for me. I will cut down, once I stop seeing books I really must have there and then.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
Another happy audible listener here.

I'm on two books a month, but that's too much for me. I will cut down, once I stop seeing books I really must have there and then.
That's why I have like 50 books on my Wish List. I had to train myself to do that rather than just buying the books. :P

personate-rain