Author Topic: Biological Medicine - I just got invited to a woo conference focusing on Boobies  (Read 2839 times)

Offline snakeman

• Seasoned Contributor
I just had to share this a bit and get some thoughts/points ready as I can see this leading to a debate.  I just got invited to attend a weekend conference on "Biological Medicine".  At this thing they're going to cover changing paradigms on such topics as:
•Tick and mosquito borne infections
•Acid / alkaline balance
•Detoxification of heavy metals
•Sujok acupressure / acupuncture
•Medicines from bees
•Layered dried blood analysis
•Importance of the teeth
•EMF and radiation risks of wireless convenience
•Patient case study and more!

What got me the most though was this think on day one called "Contact Regulation Thermography (CRT)".  Apparently, they use a digital thermometer to take temperature measurements of the skin at a bunch of places on the torso.  Then they have the patient undress to the waist in the cool (18-20C) exam room and take the temperature readings again.  Did I mention that a lot of the readings are taken on points on the breasts as some sort of way to check for breast cancer?  Did I also mention that the conference advertises "plus lots of practice!"

So, anyone else ever heard of this scam by dirty old men to get women to disrobe in a cold room so they can poke their boobs?  Or, maybe I'm just out of the loop and surface skin temperature is really a valid method of early detection of cancer.  Anyone want to enlighten me before I laugh in someone's face over this?

Offline AdamTM

• Brand New
  • In case of emergency - use your brain
    • Portfolio
I just got invited to attend a weekend conference on "Biological Medicine".

What other medicine is there?
----
AdamTM

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
scam by dirty old men to get women to disrobe in a cold room so they can poke their boobs

What other medicine is there?
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
That's Brilliant!

All the people involved are of course total and complete boobs.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:17:09 PM by Halleyscomet/Wakefield »

Offline NekoNinja

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • The Cake is a Lie!
For anyone interested, here is their article on it. (Caution: there is nudity.)

http://www.biologicalmedicine.info/bio.jsp

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
It looks like a totally new woo.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-christiane-northrup-and-breast-thermography-the-opportunistic-promotion-of-quackery/
The article is typical Gorski length, but here is the bottom line.
Thermography is a technology that has some degree of scientific plausibility but has not been validated as a diagnostic modality to detect breast cancer. The studies from 30 years ago showed it to be markedly inferior to mammography for this purpose, the claims of naturopaths, chiropractors, and various other quacks notwithstanding. While it’s true that advances in technology and computing power might have brought thermography to a point where it might be a useful adjunct to current imaging techniques, large randomized clinical trials have not been done to define its sensitivity and specificity and determine its utility when added to routine mammographic screening. In addition, thermography doesn’t provide any information that breast MRI can’t provide—and provide better. MRI measures in essence the same thing that thermography does (blood flow, which is what the heat maps that thermography produces are surrogates for) and adds to it detailed anatomic information that can guide biopsy and excision. That’s something thermography can’t do.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline NekoNinja

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • The Cake is a Lie!
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/dr-christiane-northrup-and-breast-thermography-the-opportunistic-promotion-of-quackery/
The article is typical Gorski length, but here is the bottom line.
Thermography is a technology that has some degree of scientific plausibility but has not been validated as a diagnostic modality to detect breast cancer. The studies from 30 years ago showed it to be markedly inferior to mammography for this purpose, the claims of naturopaths, chiropractors, and various other quacks notwithstanding. While it’s true that advances in technology and computing power might have brought thermography to a point where it might be a useful adjunct to current imaging techniques, large randomized clinical trials have not been done to define its sensitivity and specificity and determine its utility when added to routine mammographic screening. In addition, thermography doesn’t provide any information that breast MRI can’t provide—and provide better. MRI measures in essence the same thing that thermography does (blood flow, which is what the heat maps that thermography produces are surrogates for) and adds to it detailed anatomic information that can guide biopsy and excision. That’s something thermography can’t do.

So are you trying to say we should all keep our shirts on then?

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog

personate-rain