Author Topic: Jim Gaffigan on Vitamins and Supplements  (Read 5392 times)

Offline omegahelix

• Brand New
Jim Gaffigan on Vitamins and Supplements
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
From his latest special "Mr. Universe" (which you can get for $5 on his website DRM free if you want):

"Vitamins....they may be expensive but at least there's no proof they work.  There's vitamins and then there's herbal supplements which are not FDA approved and to put that in perspective...the Twinkie is.  I don't even know who herbal supplements are for...it's like 'Hey...if you're not wasting enough money on vitamins that don't work you should check out this stuff that's kind of the horoscope of vitamins.'"

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
Re: Jim Gaffigan on Vitamins and Supplements
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Weird, I thought he was really religious so I sort of didn't expect him to have skeptical tendencies.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
Oh, thank God. I saw this title and was afraid I was going to have to disown Jim Gaffigan. HOOOOT POOOOOOCKET
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
Heh that Twinkie line is very good.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline omegahelix

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
Weird, I thought he was really religious so I sort of didn't expect him to have skeptical tendencies.

Not sure how religious he is.  He has made many jokes about religion including a great one about people who try to witness their faith to you.  Zealot: "How bout we talk about Jesus?".  Gaffigan: "How about we not.  Even the pope would say 'whoa, I keep work at work buddy.'"  I think that stuff was from "Beyond the Pale" special.  Good stuff.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

Not sure how religious he is.  He has made many jokes about religion including a great one about people who try to witness their faith to you.  Zealot: "How bout we talk about Jesus?".  Gaffigan: "How about we not.  Even the pope would say 'whoa, I keep work at work buddy.'"  I think that stuff was from "Beyond the Pale" special.  Good stuff.

Yeah, after thinking about it some more I think the reason I thought he was religious was due to his describing his wife as "Shiite Catholic" in "Beyond the Pale". That doesn't necessarily make him religious at all.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:54 PM »
From his latest special "Mr. Universe" (which you can get for $5 on his website DRM free if you want):

Um.... link?

Online D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27:02 AM »
He's the best kind of religious person:  one with a sense of humor.

"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »
I seem to remember at least one survey that indicated that religious people are less likely to fall for alt med and new age woo.  Probably because they already have their own woo.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
I gotta pick that up!
I like this whole 5 bucks a pop thing people are doing.  I bought Louis CK's special and really enjoyed it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
I gotta pick that up!
I like this whole 5 bucks a pop thing people are doing.  I bought Louis CK's special and really enjoyed it.

You mean you don't think you should have to pay $10-$15 a month on top of your basic cable package to order a premium cable channel package so that you can watch comedy specials? What are you, some kind of communist?

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
I gotta pick that up!

You mean you don't think you should have to pay $10-$15 a month on top of your basic cable package to order a premium cable channel package so that you can watch comedy specials? What are you, some kind of communist?
Niyet!
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »
I gotta pick that up!
That dude's TV show is fucking excellent.

personate-rain