Author Topic: Truly mind expanding books you have read  (Read 5556 times)

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
Re: Truly mind expanding books you have read
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 11:22:45 PM »
Italo Calvino - Cosmicomics

Stephen Baxter - The Manifold Trilogy (Not particularly well written, but the depth of the sci-fi showed me what sci-fi could be.)

Michio Kaku - Parallel Worlds
(I know Kaku crosses over from science to speculation, but some of the information in this book blew my mind.)

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - A Hundred Years of Solitude
(Even though it's translated from Spanish, the way this story is written showed me a whole new way to look at fiction.)
evolve.

"Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid." --Johnny Slick

Offline kakaydin

• Off to a Start
  • Reality Student
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
gerbig, can you give a few examples of books you've read that fall in this category?
Skeptic: One who recognizes the prevalence of bias, misapprehension, and dubious intent.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »

QFT.  I wish this guy would write more.

Offline rreppy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins lit up for me an entirely different way of looking at living things and how Life works. And I have a degree in Biology!
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus was a revelation to me. It explained why, as a man, I cannot ever fully understand women, and am never going to; none of us ever are, but that's okay. A real epiphany, as now I can just relax and enjoy them.
A Simple Path by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Clear. Inspiring. With advice that is actually doable. The Dalai Lama has dozens of his works translated into English, and I haven't read one yet that I did not enjoy or find insightful.
All this having been said, I still maintain, after 59 years of life and thousands upon thousands of books read, the best book I ever read has been the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have reread it many times, and it always delivers more. It is a deep pool of mythology and symbolism that is always a joy to swim in.
The true strength of a people is best shown in how they treat the most defenseless among them.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »

Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus was a revelation to me. It explained why, as a man, I cannot ever fully understand women, and am never going to; none of us ever are, but that's okay. A real epiphany, as now I can just relax and enjoy them.

There's a lot of criticism of this book out there. That's going to be the case with any pop-psy book, but this one is one of the especially bad ones that takes a theory and runs with it despite there being little serious evidence to support it. It also takes the idea of gender stereotyping to a ridiculous extreme.

I wouldn't let it expand your mind too much..

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
Italo Calvino: If On a Winter's Night a Traveler

Carl Zimmer: Parasite Rex

Mary Roach: Stiff
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline rreppy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »

There's a lot of criticism of this book out there. That's going to be the case with any pop-psy book, but this one is one of the especially bad ones that takes a theory and runs with it despite there being little serious evidence to support it. It also takes the idea of gender stereotyping to a ridiculous extreme.

I wouldn't let it expand your mind too much..

Aw, man, you are putting a buzzkill on my serene equanimity. Since reading the book, whenever my wife or daughters accuse me of not understanding where they are coming from, I have been able to just smile and reply "Yep. That's right. Never going to be able to either, so don't make me try, as it is impossible". I don't want to give that up!
The true strength of a people is best shown in how they treat the most defenseless among them.

Offline Haricots

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
Steven Pinker: The Blank Slate
Pinker takes on the widely assumed idea that our personality is formed mostly by our environment with heretical effects having a very small part if any.
Great book with many thought provoking and controversial subjects. A must read!

I'm not totally blown away by Gödel Esher Bach, but I would recommend The Mind's I for a good introduction into philosophy of the mind. Its a collaboration between Hofstadter and Dennett with shorter articles from different authors with comments and reflections after.
A good introduction into functionalism and its implications.
I like Dennett's works in general as well.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:06 AM »
The Wealth of Nations and The Origin of Species are still the most important books I have ever read.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline petrolpetal

• Frequent Poster
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
Naiomi Klein : Shock doctrine, and NO LOGO  were both pretty mind-altering for me.The world did not look the same after I had read them. I had felt all that stuf..vaguely...but she was able to pin it down and articulate it !!

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins lit up for me an entirely different way of looking at living things and how Life works.

YES.  YES YES YES.  This is definitely one of the greatest nonfiction books ever written.

personate-rain