Author Topic: flu vaccines and side effects  (Read 2274 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: flu vaccines and side effects
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
If it wasn't for ITU beds now, we would probably still have a lot more deaths of this nature.

ITU=ICU?

Anecdotally, I used to feel really sick when I first started getting flu jabs, super sore arm as well. Now that I have had so many flu jabs, I have to push on the injection site to even notice that I have even had a jab.

'really sick' meaning what?

so, you reckon if someone cares enough to get the vaccine, but has a bad reaction, that they should actually be more, not less, willing to get the vaccine again in subsequent years, in order to make their immune system as competent against flu viruses as someone who feels ok afterwards?

...kinda makes me curious to get one :P
I've only had crazy chills/fever/etc. once in my life. it sucked, but it was also only like a day or two.

googling before making this thread I found the CDC page about a 'nose spray' vaccine, and it said something about colder conditions and your nose making it easier to get an infection. ...with winter approaching, here, and being a cyclist, would I be more at risk than other people of getting a cold or the flu?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 05:07:56 AM »
You are more at risk ifd you are potentially encountering other humans with the virus.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 05:46:25 AM »
You are more at risk ifd you are potentially encountering other humans with the virus.

#unhelpfulpost
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

#unhelpfulpost

That's how i avoid the side effects of the flu vaccine.  It's about 50% effective, no more than taking a few precautions.  It isn't like like not immunising yourself against polio, measles or whatever.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
That's how i avoid the side effects of the flu vaccine.
Are you saying that the side effects are solely caused by pathogens caught off other people subsequent to vaccination?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
That's how i avoid the side effects of the flu vaccine.
Are you saying that the side effects are solely caused by pathogens caught off other people subsequent to vaccination?

No.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »

#unhelpfulpost

That's how i avoid the side effects of the flu vaccine.  It's about 50% effective, no more than taking a few precautions.  It isn't like like not immunising yourself against polio, measles or whatever.

Not really.

Each year the flu vaccine is typically about three different variants of the influenza virus based on which H (hemagglutinin) and N (neuraminidase) spikes.

There are 16 H and 9 N subtypes known, but only H 1, 2 and 3, and N 1 and 2 are commonly found in humans.

If some novel mix of H and N spikes occurs, most people will not have a previous experience of the virus and have to go through the whole two week cycle of innate to acquired immune response.

If you have had previous exposure to at least ONE of the spikes, then you by-pass the innate immune response and move towards the more specific and deadly acquired immune response EVEN IF IT IS NOT EXACTLY MATCHED TO THE SEASONAL STRAIN.

The flu vaccine may not stop you from getting the flu, however, it does give your immune system a running head start that is going to reduce morbidity and mortality, especially in the elderly.

Offline vociferous

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Pacific Skeptics
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
I think most people get swollen lymph nodes, at least if the vaccine is effectively provoking an immune response.  General feelings of discomfort or tiredness for a day or two are not uncommon either. 

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
I think most people get swollen lymph nodes, at least if the vaccine is effectively provoking an immune response.  General feelings of discomfort or tiredness for a day or two are not uncommon either. 

if someone has kids or works long hours or eats poorly, or something else like that, would they also feel more sickly/exhausted/etc. than someone who gets the same response but is also well nourished and well rested? (I guess I'm wondering how much of it is physical illness and how much is just in your head/how you feel)

personate-rain