Author Topic: The NFL 2012 Thread  (Read 2493 times)

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
The NFL 2012 Thread
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:10 AM »
Hey, the unofficial start of the new season was last night.

I can't believe that the Patriots traded up.. and not once but twice! Hopefully we'll have a real D line for the first time since Seymour left. This could be exciting.

I'm hoping that they pick up a developmental WR in the 2nd round because I don't think Welker is long for this team.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: The NFL 2012 Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »
For the third straight year, the Seattle Seahawks' draft philosophy appeared to be "give Mel Kiper a heart attack". It's not that they drafted *poorly*, it's that they drafted... uniquely. First there's #15 pick Bruce Irvin, who is faaaaast but who is being slammed because he was a "third round talent" who "is too small to play defensive end". The issue here is that:

a. Seattle plays a funky hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense (called the 4-3 Under Elephant if you care) which uses a guy on the weakside edge who more or less exactly requires the skillset of Irvin. Right now it's being manned by Chris Clemons, who has been excellent the past couple years and who is all of 10 pounds heavier than the new draft pick.

b. It doesn't matter where a guy is "supposed" to go in your own mock, if one other team has him ranked at, let's say, 16th, then if you want him he has to be #15 on your list. There really isn't any such thing as a "third round talent". We know for an almost-fact that San Francisco was going to draft him at the end of the round if Irvin was available (from what I gather they actually called him and told him as much) so at best Seattle grabbed him 14 picks too early. If they weren't able or willing to trade down again - and given all the edge rusher types who went from 16-21 I don't blame them for not moving again - then, really, their only choice at that point would have been to forgo the guy that they were looking to pick up all draft long or bite the bullet and get him when they got him.

This was, I guess, exacerbated by them choosing Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, a guy who I have seen some scouts compare favorably with Robert Griffin (as in, "this guy is better than Robert Griffin") but who moved back as far as he did because he is short. I know the old maxim that you have to be above 6'2" to play QB in the NFL but if there's anyone who can break that mold, it's Russell Wilson. Jon Gruden about punched Mel Kiper Jr. in the face on Friday night when Kiper insinuated that Wilson doesn't have the tools to be a pro quarterback.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
If you want an example of how big an incompetent tool Mel Kiper is, look no further than his grading of the Patriots' 2005 draft class with a "C".

Logan Mankins, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur, Matt Cassell, James Sanders. Five starters, at least two of whom have been pro bowl by my recollection.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
http://norton.patch.com/articles/norton-youth-welcomes-nate-ebner-to-the-patriots

Norton youth Brandon Morabito got the chance of a lifetime this weekend, as he was able to select Ohio State defensive back Nate Ebner with the 197th pick in the sixth round of the NFL draft.

Some New York faithful in attendance booed Brandon and the pick, but it did not dishearten him. 

“Brandon responded with a smile and yelled the pick even louder,” said his father, Mark. “We were so proud.”

Despite the booing, Brandon enjoyed every minute of it.  His mother, Jennifer, was a little shaken after seeing thousands boo, but Brandon quickly calmed her when she saw his huge smile.

They seriously need to stop having the draft in NYC, Jets fans are fucking horrible human beings. And I'm not being facetious when I say that if I had to choose between being in a room filled with neo-Nazis and a room full of Jets fans I'm going Nazi all the way.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
Outside of the fact that ESPN is based out of NYC (well, Stamford, CT but whatevs) I don't see why they don't host the draft in Los Angeles. If I were the NFL I'd be doing everything I could to try to drum up some small amount of interest in the league in the 2nd largest city in the country.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »
Outside of the fact that ESPN is based out of NYC (well, Stamford, CT but whatevs) I don't see why they don't host the draft in Los Angeles. If I were the NFL I'd be doing everything I could to try to drum up some small amount of interest in the league in the 2nd largest city in the country.

Or have the draft in the same city as the Super Bowl every year.

But yeah, LA makes sense. As do Philly, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc.. etc.. etc..

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
I would not want to see the draft based out of Philadelphia. If you're worried about the fans in NYC... for that matter, no offense, but that applies to Boston as well. Boston sports fans may not be as obnoxious as New York fans or as murderous as Philly fans, but they're pretty much 3rd in the "dickest fans in American sports" tournament.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
I would not want to see the draft based out of Philadelphia. If you're worried about the fans in NYC... for that matter, no offense, but that applies to Boston as well. Boston sports fans may not be as obnoxious as New York fans or as murderous as Philly fans, but they're pretty much 3rd in the "dickest fans in American sports" tournament.

I dunno.. Obviously I can't be a objective party here, but the number of times that I've seen Boston sports fans being dickish in my life time can be counted on one hand. That's personal observation, not historical research. If you want to go back to the time when Jackie Robinson was called a "nigger" during a closed tryout when the only people in the stands were Red Sox management and city officials, then I'll grant you that. Historically Boston fans have been pretty racist. We don't stand alone there, but yeah. Racism follows us like a bad habit.

I'm just saying, have the Draft be in the same city as the Super Bowl. There will probably never be a Super Bowl in Philly, but it's a major American city with the infrastructure and media presence necessary to host a huge event like this. Don't have it in Indianapolis or Jacksonville, please sweet baby Jesus, but definitely have it in major cities.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
My issue, at least lately, with Boston fans is the issue that fans of sports franchises who win a lot have: everyone seems to have an opinion but they aren't terribly knowledgeable about the game they have an opinion about. In some ways they're like the opposite of Seattle sports fans, who right now anyway are really, really lukewarm about any of their teams (Boston, to its credit or detriment depending on how you feel about this, isn't terribly "fair-weather"; even in bad years, the Red Sox for instance draw a good number of fans) but those who are are really nerdy and analytical. When I think of Boston fans, I think of Bill Simmons, who is funny, don't get me wrong. When I think of Seattle, I think of USSMariner and Fangraphs and the SBNation sites. When the Sonics were in town there was a pretty good-sized stathead community for that as well; for instance the single issue of Basketball Prospectus that was produced was done by a Seattle-area guy (Dean Oliver).

The other thing which used to drive me crazy about Sawx fans in particular was the whole Curse thing. There never was a curse, only Bostonian racism. Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for a club which went out of its way to find a bad review of Willie Mays so they could get away with not signing him. To his credit, I don't think Ted Williams was party to that crap at all, but then again Ted Williams was reviled by the Boston media during his time there.

I guess this is the same kind of bad that lots of other cities have. It just seems to be worse in Boston than elsewhere. West Coast fans can be annoying in our own way too, but that is generally the fair-weather-ness and the showing up late and leaving early to avoid traffic things, which are maddening but at least they don't make you get into fights with people.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
My issue, at least lately, with Boston fans is the issue that fans of sports franchises who win a lot have: everyone seems to have an opinion but they aren't terribly knowledgeable about the game they have an opinion about.

Yes, the fan base can be annoyingly entitled, which is why the "Ask a Pink Hat" segment on the local morning sports show I listen to is pure comedy gold.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
Self-inflicted gunshot wound... to the chest. Same way Dave Duerson killed himself a couple years ago and in all probability with the same intention (so that he could donate his brain to science). This is not, I don't think, a storm the NFL can weather without pushing through some major changes to the way the game is played. Eliminating a lot of kickoff returns was nice and all but that would have done absolutely nothing to guys who don't play on special teams in the first place such as Seau/Duerson.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 06:11:53 AM »