Author Topic: Death by Chiropracter  (Read 1059 times)

Offline noslenp

• Brand New
Death by Chiropracter
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Hi,
    Just another sad chiropracter story.
A friend of ours was a nurse but very much into alt medicine.
She had complained over the last while of back pain but we never paid much attention.
She had gone to one quack who had carried her upstairs and down on his back as a cure - crazy!
Anyway she told us she was attending a chiropractor for the pain and we naturally assumed this was correct although I had heard of negative publicity on the podcast in particular the Simon Singh case.

Anyway we did nothing and last April she went to hospital with worse pain and was diagnosed with bowel cancer and died on Dec 30th 2012.

My reason for writing this is to ask what can be done about these people if anything.

Another complication is that the chiro is actually an old friend of mine from 35 years ago although we have not been in contact since.

I would welcome advice and or suggestions.

I am in Ireland.

I presume the rogues read these forums - if so any help Steve and co?

Glad I got this off my chest - would welcome any feedback.

noslenp

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
Re: Death by Chiropracter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
Sorry you lost a friend.

Anyway we did nothing and last April she went to hospital with worse pain and was diagnosed with bowel cancer and died on Dec 30th 2012.

Hmm. That's either an error or a weirdly inappropriate prediction.

Tough situation, though, and I wonder how soon a doctor would have picked up on the real cause if her only symptom was back pain.

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Do these people ever think to themselves:  "Hey maybe this treatment I am giving does not work?"

Deepest condolences to you.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »
I presume the rogues read these forums - if so any help Steve and co?

They rarely visit the forum and when they do they never venture outside the Podcast Episodes subforum.

Steve will tell you education is the best way to combat woo. But you ask him yourself using the contact form: Contact - The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
For some basic information on chiropractic dangers and efficacy check out the following podcast episodes:

Quackcast 10. History and Theory of Chiropractic

Quackcast 33. Update on Acupuncture, Chiropractic and Herbal Remedies

In general, look up information on Stroke and Chiropractors. Some of those spine manipulations can damage arteries resulting in a stroke a few hours to a few days later.

personate-rain
personate-rain