Author Topic: Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint  (Read 1134 times)

Offline editdroid

• Brand New
Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:11:01 AM »
My trainer gave me this guy's book, which I really didn't want because I find most of these people are talking out of their ass. This guy advocates a primal diet and says things like "you really can reprogram your genes." or "reducing systemic inflammation and healing digestive or metabolic damage." he also me tigons toxins and fixing immune systems. As far as my limited understanding of science goes, that's all horse puckey. Does anyone have an opinion or familiar with this guy's theories? As far as I know, science says "calories in/calories out" where weightless is concerned and it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:01:45 AM »
One disregards epigeneics or chronic inflammation at one's risk.  Medical science places great weight on the influence of chronic inflammation and disease and epigenetics... there is plenty of research to show it is real.  If you don't think your "gut" can be a problem, than don't worry about auto-immune disorders, either. 

Check out the dude's body and what it can do at 59.  Or better, Art DaVany, at 74. 

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline editdroid

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
But when he says things like "Aging is a modern myth," it puts me off. I'm pretty sure aging has been around since the beginning of time. If he simply said "diet and exercise," that would be fine. But he spends an entire book using "correlation IS causation" as his science and saying "primal" every 7th word. Is that just to grab the alternative crowd? He mentions Chopra in his book, and that's always a red flag to me.

I'm not saying his methods don't work for staying fit, but I wish he used a language that seemed less hokey to me.

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
Is the primal diet anything like the paleo diet?

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
It seems to be similar. And of course this guy is trying to sell his books, maybe a good business idea if you are a retired athlete. People will think that you are so incredibly fit because you eat some secret diet, and they are going to pay some money to find out about this secret...

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
It seems to be similar. And of course this guy is trying to sell his books, maybe a good business idea if you are a retired athlete. People will think that you are so incredibly fit because you eat some secret diet, and they are going to pay some money to find out about this secret...

I'm fat. I should write a cook book that's heavy on butter.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

Carbohydrate restriction is no secret.  He does make the mechanics of it plain.  The type and amount of exercise Sisson recommends for health isn't well known outside the community, though.  If you look at the forums, there seem to be hosts that have benefited from his programme.  It's easy and effective, IMHO.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.