Author Topic: Article in JAMA slamming NCCAM  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Darwins Codpiece

• Brand New
Article in JAMA slamming NCCAM
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
Great article in this week's Journal of the American Medical Association reviewing the usefulness and wisdom of NCCAM (spoiler alert: there isn't any). Link below, goes to free extract (subscription needed for full article, sorry).

Basically, the author, Dr. Paul Offit (+100 karma!), points out that after several years and millions of dollars, we can now rest assured that ancient Indian therapies don't treat diabetes, magnets don't treat arthritis, prayer doesn't cure AIDS, and "that inhaling lemon and lavender scents does not promote wound healing."

If only the general public would understand what he and the rest of us are trying to say. I also wish that these type of articles were available for free; wonder if there will be any media coverage?

Link: http://jama.ama-assn.org.libux.utmb.edu/content/307/17/1803.extract

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
Re: Article in JAMA slamming NCCAM
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
When I click that link, it sends me to a log in screen.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
Same here, but I would really like to read it/facebook it/forward it to specific naturalist friends...
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Darwins Codpiece

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
Oopsie, sorry about that. Forgot I was on the med school network...    :(

Here is a link that should work, but again it is a subscription site, so the extract is all you will get unless you are a JAMA subscriber.

Try this one:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/17/1803.short

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
Ah man, the extract is such a tease. You... maybe wanna copypaste the full article here?  ;D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Darwins Codpiece

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
Well, I don't want to make the JAMA copyright gods angry, so I will merely quote the punchline (probably should have done this the first time, newbie mistake):

"Because negative studies do not appear to change behavior and because studies performed without a sound biological basis have little to no chance of success, it would make sense for NCCAM to either refrain from funding studies of therapies that border on mysticism such as distance healing, purgings, and prayer; redefine its mission to include a better understanding of the physiology of the placebo response; or shift its resources to other NIH institutes."

Preachin' to the choir, man, preachin' to the choir. Really like the last part.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
here is an interview with offit.  Not sure if this will go through either
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/17/1803/suppl/DC1
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
here is an interview with offit.  Not sure if this will go through either
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/307/17/1803/suppl/DC1

Worked for me, and it was AWESOME.

personate-rain