Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 119937 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1275 on: May 06, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
Well I almost got my 405lb dead lift. Pulled the bar off the ground and got it about mid thigh but could not lock out. I was pissed but happy I got it off the ground. Still some more work to do but I'm close.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1276 on: May 07, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
Ive put on almost 3kg of muscle in the past few months since I started focusing on my squats and gymnastic training.
Im sure some amount of the gain was fat but it was very little from what I can tell.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #1277 on: May 15, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »
Young friend of mine was telling me about the amount of money she just dropped on a PT for an 8 week course.

She described the diet he has her on to lose weight,which is 40bucks more than she would usually spend. Plus protein bars.
She is quite a small person so I genuinely wonder if the amount of protein she has described is going to give her problems.
Ah well. Wait and see I guess. I would bet that the diet was either sourced from bodybuildingforums or Mens Health though.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1278 on: May 15, 2017, 11:08:48 PM »
protein bars?

does she hate eggs and salmon and chicken and milk and the like?

that sorta thing seems like such a last resort to me.
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Online Harry Black

« Reply #1279 on: May 16, 2017, 04:12:06 AM »
protein bars?

Oh dont worry. She is eating all that aswell.
4 eggs+turkey bacon every morning for starters.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1280 on: May 16, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »
protein bars?

but, I guess what i'm saying is, of all the ways to supplement your diet, why not an extra egg, why not a shake with water, what is it that makes bars a good option? usually they're overpriced and the texture and taste are certainly not among the best options.
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Online Harry Black

« Reply #1281 on: May 16, 2017, 09:05:50 AM »
protein bars?

but, I guess what i'm saying is, of all the ways to supplement your diet, why not an extra egg, why not a shake with water, what is it that makes bars a good option? usually they're overpriced and the texture and taste are certainly not among the best options.
I agree 100%.
Now personally,if I have more than 2 eggs for about 5 days on the trot, I have a few gastric issues so I tend to replace with other stuff, but your point spot on imo.
What I want to know is how this guy calculated that this girl needs this much protein?
On top of her brekkie yesterday she had 2 chicken breasts, 2 turkey breasts and cottage cheese as a snack. Plus a protein bar after training.

Im whining here about it because its not for me to say it to her, I just hate people getting ripped off.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1282 on: May 17, 2017, 05:22:19 AM »
maybe he's pushing her really really hard?

even when I had a really physical job I never ate that well, but I also wasn't bulking at the time.

maybe her goal is Kardashian-ass.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #1283 on: May 17, 2017, 06:21:09 AM »
Yep. He seems to be.
She has shared with me her goal, its purely fat loss. Her amount of muscle mass is not that high so Im dubious her body can absorb all of the protein she is spending money on.
The amount of protein we need seems to get generously rounded up when sales of protein products are involved.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1284 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
maybe he thinks just quick recovery times depend upon that resource, whether or not the exercise is fibre-tearing/muscle-growing.

or, maybe he is ripping shit up with high rep weight training for fat loss (she'll mostly just get great stamina). doesn't endurance training break down muscle fibers just like higher resistance training?

Online Harry Black

« Reply #1285 on: May 17, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
Maybe.
That doesnt change the amount of protein a human body can process though. There may be more requirement for reair but after a point, more protein does not equal more muscle repair.
That threshold is lower than many people think (according to the actual data) and so Im dubious that this girl is going to be able to process everything she is eating based on her size.
Without the numbers (which are none of my business) I cant say for certain ('certain' meaning as far as my amateur interest in the subject goes) but it does set my bs detector tingling.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #1286 on: May 17, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
I have two goals now.
1) try to be able to do three sets of ten chinups (I'm at 3 sets of 6)
2) kick the diet soda habit.  I am not worried about the artificial sweetener, it's more about resetting my pallet and sensitivity to sweetness.  I think if I can do that, it will reduce cravings for junk food and unhealthy foods, and make salad more palatable. 

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1287 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
I have two goals now.
1) try to be able to do three sets of ten chinups (I'm at 3 sets of 6)
2) kick the diet soda habit.  I am not worried about the artificial sweetener, it's more about resetting my pallet and sensitivity to sweetness.  I think if I can do that, it will reduce cravings for junk food and unhealthy foods, and make salad more palatable.

Hang a weight around your waist when you do pull ups. Even if it is only 2-3 reps. Then  on your last set do it without. It helped me a lot. I was doing about 50 reps in 4 sets after awhile. Just keep at it and don't forget to rest a few days between workouts. I would add(If you don't do them already) Lat pull downs too. Oh and keep upping the weight too as you go along.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Harry Black

« Reply #1288 on: May 30, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »
Knocked 4min off my 10k in 2 weeks!
Quite pleased!
The longer, slower runs (up to 90min on my feet) seem to be what made the difference. I had been focusing too much on shorter, higher paced work.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1289 on: June 01, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
Since starting my latest blood pressure medicine (amlodipine, now along with hydrochlorothiazide which I was taking alone) my BP has been much better than it was, and as a beneficial side-effect, I'm able to exercise at a higher subjective and objective intensity. That is, on the bike I'm going a bit faster, and when jogging I'm able to go a bit longer between rest breaks. It feels like I'm working harder, which makes sense, because I am. But my pulse is not going any higher than it was before, and it takes longer for my pulse to rise to the aerobic target zone. I consider that it's a good sign when my pulse rises more slowly, and also a good sign that I can work harder than before at the same pulse rate. My pulse also falls faster when I begin my cool-down, which I believe to be another good sign.

I also feel better generally since my BP has come back down to a healthy level. No more feeling as though my brain isn't working quite right.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain