Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 192946 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1530 on: December 29, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
But a very heavy DL is very satisfying, from addressing the bar to sitting down to a big breakfast afterwards. 

I was using a strap on my digitally challenged hand but gave it away for a reverse grip.  (Tatayana has disdained both in the distant past.)
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1531 on: December 29, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
My shoulders are sore this morning. Not a really bad kind of sore. I think we paddled around 12 miles in the kayaks. We paddled from Makena Landing, around the back of Molokini, and then since we had plenty of time, when we were around halfway back, we paddled north for a while. Then we had the good fortune to see a couple of whales, one of whom did a very nice lunge for us pretty close to us. That’s sort of a half breach. After that we turned back in toward Makena Landing. I’ll probaly take a rest day because I think it’s been over a week since I missed a day of paddling, due to strong winds. We were out for 4 hours. It was calm and beautiful, with a light swell but no chop at all except going around Molokini, where the currents swirl a bit. Almost no wind at all. These are really the only conditions in which I’m capable of doing this trip. A couple of weeks ago several boatloads of racers tried to do this trip in outrigger canoes and had to turn back halfway because of rough seas.

What species of whales were they?  Lucky you.

The Japanese have withdrawn from the IWC, and are going to resume their commercial whaling, instead of the figleaf of scientific research.  I feel a personal boycott of all Japanese goods and services coming on.

Humpbacks. They come to the Hawaiian Islands (mostly Maui due to the shallow water of the channels between Maui and its nearest neighbors, Lanii, Kaho’olawi, and Moloka’i) in winter, from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska. There’s no food for them here. They breed, give birth, and raise their calves to an age where they can make the return trip. The whale season here is generally considered to be January through March, but it seems there are always a few as early as December.

The peduncle muscle of the humpback whale is the strongest muscle in the animal kingdom, capableof propelling the entire body of an adult humpback completely out of the water; and the pectoral fin of the humpback is the longest appendage in the animal kingdom. There are numerous speculations about why they breach, but nobody really knows.  And it is really cool to see them relatively close up from a canoe or a kayak. Better yet to be in the water with them, but that’s illegal here. You have to go to French Polynesia or Tonga or (I think) Baja California for that.

The southern hemisphere humpbacks are the same species but a separate population. These are the ones I swam with in French Polynesia.

I saw humpbacks from a zodiac in the Antarctic.  They’re awesome.  I can’t understand why anyone would want to kill them.  Whaling was the reason I went vegetarian 40 years ago.

I’m still envious.  Have you read ‘Spying on Whales’ featured on SGU a few weeks ago it’s very good.

No, I have not read it. Come to Maui in January, February, or March, and I’ll take you out in a canoe or on kayaks to see humpbacks. Or if you’d like to swim with them, I can give you some information about Moorea, French Polynesia. Or you could probably find information about other places you can do that on the net. Highly recommended.

Today I got in a double-hull canoe (12-person) with a much younger crowd than normal. They generally seem to fill a canoe, but today they had some open seats available. It was very windy with a heavy chop and the other canoe stayed close to shore, but we went straight on out into it. It was a strong crew because I think most of them race in season. I don’t think you’d want to be out in those conditions unless you had a strong crew. We were getting soaked from the splashing and we shipped some water as the occasional wave broke over the gunwale. We were getting sea water in our eyes and paddling with one eye closed and the other squinting. It was a blast! I was putting all my strength into it. After about 20 minutes we took a rest and then paddled back in to calmer water, this time with the wind in our faces, to where there’s a sunken sailboat, and the captain declared the pool open, so some of us (including me, of course) went in the water. Without my fins I could not dive down, but we could see the sailboat. The water was almost bathwater warm. And it’s nearly January. This is the way to get cardio!

We didn’t see any whales today.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain