Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 213839 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1545 on: March 28, 2019, 01:42:02 PM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1546 on: March 28, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
I think I may have torn something in my knee a year ago and not really paid enough attention to it.
I THINK its due to my leg regimen? I guess I should go see my club physio....

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1547 on: March 28, 2019, 11:46:46 PM »
If you trust your physio, it's always a good idea to get another informed opinion.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1548 on: June 20, 2019, 07:33:40 PM »
Glad to have proper northern summer weather again. Plenty of rain, leaving some puddles here and there but also softening the gravel roads, with fresh cool air and just enough of a chill to need to keep moving to stay warm, on the bright nights where I can exercise in peace. This is shortly after midnight (DST), on a not very good camera.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:38:34 PM by 2397 »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1549 on: June 23, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
Ive had to stop calisthenic exercises due to the pressure on my pre existing tendon injury.
I have a feeling its only a matter of time before I need surgery on it again.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1550 on: June 23, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
Ive had to stop calisthenic exercises due to the pressure on my pre existing tendon injury.
I have a feeling its only a matter of time before I need surgery on it again.

You have my sympathy!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1551 on: June 23, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
This week I managed three sessions on the elliptical exerciser, two of them were 45 minutes and one was an hour. I start out with 5 minutes very gradually working up to the resistance and pace I'll settle into, then let my pulse climb slowly into the cardio zone, and aim to keep it around the middle of the cardio zone for the rest of the workout. Two days a week we have visitor days at the canoe club and launch the canoes later than on other days, so I have time and energy for an elliptical workout and still do the visitor paddle, which is easier than regular days because most of the visitors lack the strength and stamina for our regular recreational paddle. (I lack the strength and stamina for race training, or for Paddle Core, which is sort of race training light.)

I try to paddle every day if I can because I love it. I love being out on the water, and I love the paddling. But I also need a workout for my legs, and I don't think I get my pulse up into my cardio zone when I paddle because my arms are so much weaker than my legs. So I'm very pleased that I'm managing to use the elliptical, which I bought with the idea of having a workout when the weather prevents paddling. That doesn't happen often, but when it does it can be days at a time. I bought a machine near the low end, no bells or whistles, but it's solid and quiet, and has a short enough stride for my short legs. Most of them have too long a stride to be comfortable for me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1552 on: July 15, 2019, 05:22:46 AM »
Skiing was pretty good today, considering the lack of winter.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1553 on: July 15, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
Skiing was pretty good today, considering the lack of winter.

Until very recently, the younger daughter at my favorite hiking lodge (up in Canada) had a thing about skiing every month of the year. In August she would hike several hours carrying her skis and boots and poles in order to ski down a very short bit of snow, probably far less than a one-minute run. And then, of course, carry everything back. It wasn't until she was in her early 20's that she finally quit doing that, having decided that it was no longer worth it.

They do ski touring in winter, climbing on skins and then skiing down. Very long runs on virgin snow. Extremely steep terrain. I can't ski so I've never been there in winter. But it's spectacular country and would be some of the best skiing around. In summer it's the best hiking I've ever experienced.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1554 on: July 15, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »

They do ski touring in winter, climbing on skins and then skiing down. Very long runs on virgin snow. Extremely steep terrain. I can't ski so I've never been there in winter. But it's spectacular country and would be some of the best skiing around. In summer it's the best hiking I've ever experienced.

They... me and my friends do what you describe.  On a good day, there is nothing better.  Ticks all the boxes, amazingly good exercise, good friends, orgasmic powder and great views.... and of course one can be killed, adds to the programme, really. 

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #1555 on: July 16, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
Got a new recumbent exercise bike. Now we just have to pick out the coats.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1556 on: July 16, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »

They... me and my friends do what you describe.  On a good day, there is nothing better.  Ticks all the boxes, amazingly good exercise, good friends, orgasmic powder and great views.... and of course one can be killed, adds to the programme, really. 

If I could ski, this is how I'd want to do it. If I could tolerate the cold.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1557 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
Yesterday in the canoe our stroker was a racer who doesn't really get the concept that recreational paddling is a whole different thing. Or that three of the paddlers in the boat are not racers: Two of us are old men and one is fairly new at paddling and does not have the strength of the racing paddlers. She (the stroker, not the new paddler) is really powerful, and doesn't like anything much less than a full-on racing cadence.

There was a pretty decent shore break so we paddled hard to get past that, but our stroker kept up 60 strokes per minute after that. I tried to maintain the deep and long stroke I've been learning, and it was such hard work that I started to feel nauseated from the effort. I briefly thought I was having a heart attack, but there was no pain, just the exhaustion and nausea. I had to switch to half strokes and light pressure on the blade, so that I was really only putting out half as much power as I could do at 40 strokes per minute. I asked for the stroker to slow down, which she did, but after a bit she gradually speeded back up again.

At the turn-around the stroker and the steersman switched places because the stroker wanted some steering practice. She's a certified steersman but not a very good one. Our new steersman set a cadence of 45 strokes per minute and I was able to resume a normal stroke at my full power output and I felt fine, though a bit tired after the first part.

Our landing was very poorly managed, but we got to shore safely. We then had to keep the canoe in the water and walk it down the beach to get to our parking spot before we could pull it up, and by then it had a lot of water in it from waves breaking over the bow while we were moving it. (We always back the canoes in, unless it would be unsafe, because in Hawaiian tradition it's considered disrespectful to have the bow pointed away from the ocean.)

It was a bit too hard of a workout.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1558 on: July 17, 2019, 04:25:17 AM »
Another average day on skis but an excellent  massage afterwards from Holly. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1559 on: July 17, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »
Yesterday I did an hour on the elliptical instead of paddling. Paddling is a lot more fun, but if I get uncomfortable on the elliptical I can stop and I'm at home. All went well. Very slow warm-up as always (which I don't always get paddling) but once I got up to my target intensity I felt fine.

Today it was back to paddling. 18 minutes moderately hard and kind of tiring, then a long stop which gave me a chance to swim. I love swimming when the water is this warm. Actually, I love swimming even in winter but then it's more brisk and I spend less time in the water. Then I pushed myself pretty hard on the paddle home. Another wonderful day on the water.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck