Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 209968 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1560 on: July 20, 2019, 01:03:04 AM »
Just another round in the gym. today; wet and cold outside.  The gym is going to close in November but there is another being installed basically across the street.Rumour has it it will have a boxing ring.  If it wants to break even, it needs to have a dedicated aerobics room for classes.  I just want some Olympic weights, a squat rack, chin up bar and some mats.  And a cheap rate for seniors!
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1561 on: July 20, 2019, 05:53:44 AM »
Ever consider investing in those items for yourself? You have the space, the cost isnt that much compared to multiple years of gym membership and I bet you would enjoy the scenery of your property while huffing and puffing.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1562 on: July 20, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
I did that years ago and have gotten my money's worth. I have been of late using the gym we have at work and it's just much easier.  The gym at work has some serious weight lifting equipment. That is one reason I like it there more then my basement at home.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1563 on: July 20, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
In Spokane I had an exercise bike, a treadmill, a NordicTrack, and a Bowflex. Serious lifters would scoff at the Bowflex, but for the very low level I did, it was adequate.

There were ellipticals at the condo complex where I spent last winter and I liked them, so when I bought my house here I bought an elliptical and two each of 5-pound and 10-pound padded dumbbells. I use the elliptical 2 or 3 times a week to get a leg workout. But my favorite piece of exercise equipment is my canoe paddle. I paddle most mornings. I'm noticeably stronger and have more stamina than I did when I got here. I've gotten good enough that the captains sometimes ask me to be the stroker.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1564 on: July 20, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
I did weld and build a bench with a press rack some long time ago, but I would have to invest in an O bar and weights, the stuff I have is pretty minimal.  I'd rather use a spinner than strap my carbon frame roadie to the wind trainer, and I'd have to weld some sort of chin up/dip machine and squat rack.  There is a ban on cars and utes in the garage (accent on the first syllable, btw) so there is room, but in the winter (now) it is bloody cold in there.

I just hope that the new gym is a good one and is as kind to seniors as the current one.  NZ$400/yr for 24/7 access is a good deal, IMHO. 

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1565 on: July 21, 2019, 08:08:16 AM »
I don't know how any gym can make money. The equipment is so expensive plus you have rent and utilities to pay for every month. The gym would need some many members just to break even.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1566 on: July 21, 2019, 10:51:53 AM »
I don't know how any gym can make money. The equipment is so expensive plus you have rent and utilities to pay for every month. The gym would need some many members just to break even.

There was a podcast about that. Maybe Planet Money? I'm not sure. Most people who buy a gym membership never go to the gym. Don't remember the numbers, but an enormous number of people who know they need to exercise buy a gym membership. The great majority who seldom or never go are subsidizing the ones who do. And of course the membership renews automatically unless you actually go there to cancel it, but you know you need to work out and "THIS year I'm REALLY going to get to the gym. REALLY!!!" So you let the membership renew even though you haven't been there more than half a dozen times all year.

That's why you either need to be extremely motivated or find an activity you love.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1567 on: July 22, 2019, 04:45:26 AM »

There was a podcast about that. Maybe Planet Money? I'm not sure. Most people who buy a gym membership never go to the gym. Don't remember the numbers, but an enormous number of people who know they need to exercise buy a gym membership. The great majority who seldom or never go are subsidizing the ones who do. And of course the membership renews automatically unless you actually go there to cancel it, but you know you need to work out and "THIS year I'm REALLY going to get to the gym. REALLY!!!" So you let the membership renew even though you haven't been there more than half a dozen times all year.

That's why you either need to be extremely motivated or find an activity you love.

I think it might be like farming, not much money in the farming, but money is made in real estate.

Daniel, when I go to the gym, I generally see the same faces.  Maybe we are all extremely motivated for some reason, or like me, really enjoy the work.  I am not looking forward to tagging along at the end of the line in my dotage. 

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1568 on: July 22, 2019, 05:39:44 AM »
I enjoyed working out at the gym, but more if I could be there at a quiet time of day. I'd shut off the radio when I was the only one there, so that I could listen to my own music/podcasts on my own device. I'd prefer it if that was the norm, especially since there were also ads on the channel(s) they played. I don't want to pay to be somewhere and then be exposed to ads.

Another way they might make money is to sell things like energy/recovery drinks at ridiculous prices.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1569 on: July 22, 2019, 08:13:56 AM »
Right.
The gym I go to has lots of stuff they sell, they offer personal training sessions and classes as extra, they have automated just about everything that can be automated and they likely have a huge membership that never shows up.
Kind of like if there were a run on the bank, if all members showed up, they would be fucked.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1570 on: July 22, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »
Daniel, when I go to the gym, I generally see the same faces.  Maybe we are all extremely motivated for some reason, or like me, really enjoy the work.  ...

Yep. The same few people go regularly. Like you say, the few who are either motivated to stay fit, or actually enjoy the gym workout, or both. 99% of the paying members seldom or never show up. Keeps the dues down for the people who actually use the gym. There have been times in my life when I used a gym regularly, and other times when I did my cardio at home. But I did it to stay fit, not because I enjoyed it. I've found the perfect situation for me now: my "gym" is the pacific ocean. I pay $275 per year for my two canoe club memberships, since two clubs seemed better than one. I may drop to one next year and cut that about in half, since lately I've only been using one of the clubs. I love my workouts now and usually get to take a swim during a rest break half-way.

I don't enjoy the elliptical, but use it 2 or 3 times a week, in addition to paddling, because paddling does nothing for my legs.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1571 on: July 22, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »
We have a gym at work that we all pay a nominal fee to run. I am very happy when I walk into the place and I am the only one in there. I mean extremely happy. The thing is that there are a few of us that workout and just work out. There is another group that like to socialize and talk (I don't get this, they are at work all day togeather and they still have things to talk about?) Then there is another  group that pay but I never see them in the gym. This could be because we have shift work but I think that it is the largest group.
Douglas Adams

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1572 on: August 13, 2019, 05:30:43 PM »

2-minutes of spanking the monkey... must HTFU.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1573 on: August 13, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »

2-minutes of spanking the monkey... must HTFU.

My new phone has a shit Hr tracker.

I started doing shoulder press this week. I had previously just done handstand push ups so I dont need to leave the house, but I feel my tendon issues mean that exercise is asking for another expensive surgery.

The barbell press is satisfying! I have started super light but I am conciously steering away from caring about what weight Im moving vs what kind of effort/intensity Im hitting. The weight is a tool for that rather than a goal in itself.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1574 on: August 13, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »
Trying to use the elliptical in the morning before paddling, to increase my cardio for the day. Yesterday, due to getting a late start, I just did 35 minutes, but I accelerated my warm-up and got up to what is for me a pretty intense level of effort much more quickly than normal. Then I went to the canoe club for my regular recreational paddle.

Today I had plenty of time, because Tuesdays and Thursdays are visitors day at the club, and we start later. Also we don't paddle as far and we take more rests. But I was so tired on the elliptical I had to start out slower than normal and only got a little into my cardio zone, and had to stop at 30 minutes. In the canoe I was fine because with visitors we paddle at a slower cadence.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain