Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 131407 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1320 on: October 10, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
My hip hurts this morning. I fear that yesterday's jog was too much for it, little as it was. Back to the exercise bike today, instead of my plan to see if I could jog a bit farther. I know that jogging is said to be hard on the joints, but jogging has always left me feeling better than other forms of cardio, barring injuries.
Reading your updates has reinspired me to start really being honest with myself about what 100% effort feels like.

I wanted to jog and squat today but my running shorts were very clearly going to rip clean in half if I did a proper squat so I had to settle for lunges instead. And while I was really kickimg my own ass, I had to knock off early to give a friend a ride to the cinema.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1321 on: October 10, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
My hip hurts this morning. I fear that yesterday's jog was too much for it, little as it was. Back to the exercise bike today, instead of my plan to see if I could jog a bit farther. I know that jogging is said to be hard on the joints, but jogging has always left me feeling better than other forms of cardio, barring injuries.
Reading your updates has reinspired me to start really being honest with myself about what 100% effort feels like.

I wanted to jog and squat today but my running shorts were very clearly going to rip clean in half if I did a proper squat so I had to settle for lunges instead. And while I was really kickimg my own ass, I had to knock off early to give a friend a ride to the cinema.

I very seldom do a 100% effort, because my experience is that it leads to injury. The exceptions would be when out actually doing stuff (as opposed to cardio or lifting at home). So, kayaking in Maui in whale season, if there's a spout in the distance, and any hope we might get there in time to see it surface, I'll put in 100% effort paddling for the ten or fifteen minutes it takes to get there. (If it's farther, we're not going to get there for its next surfacing, so no point in the extra effort.) Sometimes, in order to make it somewhere before the obligatory turn-around time, kayaking or hiking, I'll put on 100% effort briefly. The pay-off can be a summit I'd not have made it to otherwise in the time available. And with a guide I really, totally, completely trust, sometimes I'll push myself right to the edge of total fear. But basically, I regard 100% effort as unwise and unproductive. I don't think that training at 100% is efficient.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1322 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
When I say 100%, I mean the effort of making time and following through and smartly planning what you want and how to achieve it based on what you can do.

I see how hard you are working and know I havent been putting in a comparable effort.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1323 on: October 10, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
Ah, I see. Yes, well, at my age you have to either put in the effort or give up on life. Hiking and kayaking are too important to me to let myself go between trips.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1324 on: October 12, 2017, 01:23:43 AM »
A good day upon the ski hill.  Might be the last day of lift skiing... the forecast is better for mountain biking than skiing tomorrow.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1325 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
After a day off and a couple of days on the exercise bike, I got back on the treadmill today. I managed to run a little over a mile and a half with three walking breaks. My running segments were longer and my walking breaks shorter than the last time, except for the last walking break, with was longer, and mostly at a 5% grade. And my pulse rate came down more quickly during the walking breaks. I'm very happy about all this. And my hip feels fine.

I think there's a reasonable hope that, barring injuries, I might be able to get back to running three miles with walking breaks. Three miles without stopping is probably too much to hope for, but that would be my ideal. I feel better when I'm jogging regularly than when I'm just riding the exercise bike.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain