Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 138075 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1320 on: October 10, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
My hip hurts this morning. I fear that yesterday's jog was too much for it, little as it was. Back to the exercise bike today, instead of my plan to see if I could jog a bit farther. I know that jogging is said to be hard on the joints, but jogging has always left me feeling better than other forms of cardio, barring injuries.
Reading your updates has reinspired me to start really being honest with myself about what 100% effort feels like.

I wanted to jog and squat today but my running shorts were very clearly going to rip clean in half if I did a proper squat so I had to settle for lunges instead. And while I was really kickimg my own ass, I had to knock off early to give a friend a ride to the cinema.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1321 on: October 10, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
My hip hurts this morning. I fear that yesterday's jog was too much for it, little as it was. Back to the exercise bike today, instead of my plan to see if I could jog a bit farther. I know that jogging is said to be hard on the joints, but jogging has always left me feeling better than other forms of cardio, barring injuries.
Reading your updates has reinspired me to start really being honest with myself about what 100% effort feels like.

I wanted to jog and squat today but my running shorts were very clearly going to rip clean in half if I did a proper squat so I had to settle for lunges instead. And while I was really kickimg my own ass, I had to knock off early to give a friend a ride to the cinema.

I very seldom do a 100% effort, because my experience is that it leads to injury. The exceptions would be when out actually doing stuff (as opposed to cardio or lifting at home). So, kayaking in Maui in whale season, if there's a spout in the distance, and any hope we might get there in time to see it surface, I'll put in 100% effort paddling for the ten or fifteen minutes it takes to get there. (If it's farther, we're not going to get there for its next surfacing, so no point in the extra effort.) Sometimes, in order to make it somewhere before the obligatory turn-around time, kayaking or hiking, I'll put on 100% effort briefly. The pay-off can be a summit I'd not have made it to otherwise in the time available. And with a guide I really, totally, completely trust, sometimes I'll push myself right to the edge of total fear. But basically, I regard 100% effort as unwise and unproductive. I don't think that training at 100% is efficient.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #1322 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
When I say 100%, I mean the effort of making time and following through and smartly planning what you want and how to achieve it based on what you can do.

I see how hard you are working and know I havent been putting in a comparable effort.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1323 on: October 10, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
Ah, I see. Yes, well, at my age you have to either put in the effort or give up on life. Hiking and kayaking are too important to me to let myself go between trips.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1324 on: October 12, 2017, 01:23:43 AM »
A good day upon the ski hill.  Might be the last day of lift skiing... the forecast is better for mountain biking than skiing tomorrow.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1325 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
After a day off and a couple of days on the exercise bike, I got back on the treadmill today. I managed to run a little over a mile and a half with three walking breaks. My running segments were longer and my walking breaks shorter than the last time, except for the last walking break, with was longer, and mostly at a 5% grade. And my pulse rate came down more quickly during the walking breaks. I'm very happy about all this. And my hip feels fine.

I think there's a reasonable hope that, barring injuries, I might be able to get back to running three miles with walking breaks. Three miles without stopping is probably too much to hope for, but that would be my ideal. I feel better when I'm jogging regularly than when I'm just riding the exercise bike.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #1326 on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:03 AM »
Traditional superhero costumes were based on circus strongmen and wrestlers who wore long underwear as the most versatile workout gear they could find.
They wore shorts on top in case of embarrassing rips.

Amusing to me that all these years later, so many athletes (myself included) are back to modern long underwear with shorts over the top.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1327 on: November 05, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »
I have not been able to exercise since I came down with this cold. Grump!!!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1328 on: November 05, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
Traditional superhero costumes were based on circus strongmen and wrestlers who wore long underwear as the most versatile workout gear they could find.

Amusing to me that all these years later, so many athletes (myself included) are back to modern long underwear with shorts over the top.

Some of us don't bother with the shorts.  Unless one needs pockets, or embarressed about one's figure, shorts are worse than uselesss.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1329 on: November 05, 2017, 01:03:22 PM »

Some of us don't bother with the shorts.  Unless one needs pockets, or embarressed about one's figure, shorts are worse than uselesss.

If it's cold enough to require long underwear, I'll have long pants over it. If not, I'll wear shorts without the long underwear. Circus strongmen and wrestlers have uniforms to distinguish and identify them. The same with superheroes. I don't need anybody to know who I am from a distance when I'm out jogging.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1330 on: November 05, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
Played 3 hockey game last Thursday.  2 were back to back playoff games, then a 2 hour rest and played in a championship game.  I was tired Friday.  Legs were dead. So I postponed Friday leg day to Saturday leg day. I'm really burned out today. I have a game Monday. I should be good by then.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #1331 on: November 05, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

I need pockets and my bits bounce around alot.
So to me they are far better than useless.
I did try without them and it didnt suit me.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1332 on: November 05, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
I got on the exercise bike today even though I'm still sick because I could not stand being unable to exercise. I went very slow, never got over 96 bpm pulse, and only went for 20 minutes, not counting a short warm up and cool down. I was still tired during and after.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #1333 on: November 06, 2017, 05:56:51 PM »
Im still addicted to tracking my heartrate with my phone.
The graphs are cool and the week I was sick is quite obvious when I look at it!
 I notice that it goes up by about 10-15bpm when I have a beer or two but can still be right back down to my normal resting rate 6hrs after my last super strong coffee.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1334 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »
I'm getting back to my regular exercise routine after finally shaking off my cold. Some light resistance work about every third day (at my age, I think alternate days is too much) and cardio 3 or 4 days in a row followed by a day off. Mostly the cardio is the exercise bike. Sometimes it is alternately walking and jogging, sometimes an uphill walk, sometimes the NordicTrack machine. Whatever feels right on any given day. No set rotation schedule. Much of the resistance work is with an eye to increasing the strength in the broken arm. My range of motion in that arm is very close to 100% now, but it's still weaker than the other arm.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain