Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 218626 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1530 on: December 29, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
But a very heavy DL is very satisfying, from addressing the bar to sitting down to a big breakfast afterwards. 

I was using a strap on my digitally challenged hand but gave it away for a reverse grip.  (Tatayana has disdained both in the distant past.)
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1531 on: December 29, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
My shoulders are sore this morning. Not a really bad kind of sore. I think we paddled around 12 miles in the kayaks. We paddled from Makena Landing, around the back of Molokini, and then since we had plenty of time, when we were around halfway back, we paddled north for a while. Then we had the good fortune to see a couple of whales, one of whom did a very nice lunge for us pretty close to us. That’s sort of a half breach. After that we turned back in toward Makena Landing. I’ll probaly take a rest day because I think it’s been over a week since I missed a day of paddling, due to strong winds. We were out for 4 hours. It was calm and beautiful, with a light swell but no chop at all except going around Molokini, where the currents swirl a bit. Almost no wind at all. These are really the only conditions in which I’m capable of doing this trip. A couple of weeks ago several boatloads of racers tried to do this trip in outrigger canoes and had to turn back halfway because of rough seas.

What species of whales were they?  Lucky you.

The Japanese have withdrawn from the IWC, and are going to resume their commercial whaling, instead of the figleaf of scientific research.  I feel a personal boycott of all Japanese goods and services coming on.

Humpbacks. They come to the Hawaiian Islands (mostly Maui due to the shallow water of the channels between Maui and its nearest neighbors, Lanii, Kaho’olawi, and Moloka’i) in winter, from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska. There’s no food for them here. They breed, give birth, and raise their calves to an age where they can make the return trip. The whale season here is generally considered to be January through March, but it seems there are always a few as early as December.

The peduncle muscle of the humpback whale is the strongest muscle in the animal kingdom, capableof propelling the entire body of an adult humpback completely out of the water; and the pectoral fin of the humpback is the longest appendage in the animal kingdom. There are numerous speculations about why they breach, but nobody really knows.  And it is really cool to see them relatively close up from a canoe or a kayak. Better yet to be in the water with them, but that’s illegal here. You have to go to French Polynesia or Tonga or (I think) Baja California for that.

The southern hemisphere humpbacks are the same species but a separate population. These are the ones I swam with in French Polynesia.

I saw humpbacks from a zodiac in the Antarctic.  They’re awesome.  I can’t understand why anyone would want to kill them.  Whaling was the reason I went vegetarian 40 years ago.

I’m still envious.  Have you read ‘Spying on Whales’ featured on SGU a few weeks ago it’s very good.

No, I have not read it. Come to Maui in January, February, or March, and I’ll take you out in a canoe or on kayaks to see humpbacks. Or if you’d like to swim with them, I can give you some information about Moorea, French Polynesia. Or you could probably find information about other places you can do that on the net. Highly recommended.

Today I got in a double-hull canoe (12-person) with a much younger crowd than normal. They generally seem to fill a canoe, but today they had some open seats available. It was very windy with a heavy chop and the other canoe stayed close to shore, but we went straight on out into it. It was a strong crew because I think most of them race in season. I don’t think you’d want to be out in those conditions unless you had a strong crew. We were getting soaked from the splashing and we shipped some water as the occasional wave broke over the gunwale. We were getting sea water in our eyes and paddling with one eye closed and the other squinting. It was a blast! I was putting all my strength into it. After about 20 minutes we took a rest and then paddled back in to calmer water, this time with the wind in our faces, to where there’s a sunken sailboat, and the captain declared the pool open, so some of us (including me, of course) went in the water. Without my fins I could not dive down, but we could see the sailboat. The water was almost bathwater warm. And it’s nearly January. This is the way to get cardio!

We didn’t see any whales today.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1532 on: February 02, 2019, 01:49:17 AM »
We had a little adventure.  A trip down the Woolshed creek canyon.  A few abseils and swims, the odd jump into pools and lunch.  Hard work but very cool... a good way to avoid  the 34o on the surface.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1533 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Some dickhead jumped on a treadmill beside me and sprinted for 90seconds and jumped off of it, leaving it running, while he went and used some other machine and never came back.
It annoyed me for the rest of my run.

I had to go the long way around to leave the cardio area because some noodle headed kid was running with the speed cranked up so high he was holding onto the handles for dear life and looked like he could become a projectile at any moment.

Why cant people just learn to use the gym safely and considerately??

I know this is 90% of my posts in this thread...

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1534 on: February 02, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »
I don't miss going to the gym, other than when I was able to go there when probably no one else would be there.

Incidentally, I quit when they introduced a contract that said they can ask to test for drugs. I've never done anything that would be considered drugs in that context, and I'd probably never be suspected anyway, but I don't see that it's any of their business, and I don't want to support them in doing it. And I had moved away from the town, so it didn't take that much to give it up (it's still the closest proper gym to where I live).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:39:25 PM by 2397 »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1535 on: February 02, 2019, 01:52:31 PM »
I don't miss going to the gym, other than when I was able to go there when probably no one else would be there.

Incidentally, I quit when they introduced a contract that said they can ask to test for drugs. I've never done anything that would be considered drugs in that context, and I'd probably never be suspected anyway, but I don't see that it's any of their business, and I don't want to support them in doing it. And I had moved away from the town, so it didn't take that much to give it up (it's still the closest proper gym to where I live).
Thats a very weird thing for them to introduce!!

Im guessing they were trying to keep out steroid users as they tend to be the most off putting people in most gyms and can drive the casual market away.
Still not something I want private companies to be allowed to put in a contract though. Its all well and good to say you can go elsewhere until it becomes an industry standard as it did with data and privacy.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1536 on: February 02, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
The captain of our boat today (double-hull canoe) asked me to be lead stroker. I’m feeling very flattered by the show of confidence. I think I did reasonably well, considering that I’ve only been in the stroker’s seat once before. Everyone said I did very well, but I think they were just being nice and I only did reasonably well. I’ve paddled with this captain enough times that he knows I’m a competent paddler. It will be interesting to see if he asks me to stroke again.

For those who don’t know, the stroker is the one who sits in the front seat (or one of the front seats in a double-hull) and sets the cadence for the whole boat. You have to set a good cadence and keep it steady, so the rest of the crew can follow and keep all in sync. The stroker(s) also help steer the canoe when backing it onto the beach. We always back the canoe onto the beach. I think that’s because the club members want to follow Hawaiian traditions, and apparently it’s disrespectful to the canoe, or to the ancestors whose essence has been absorbed by it, to have the bow facing away from the sea. But don’t quote me on any of that. And lastly, the stroker becomes the captain if the captain fails to make it into the canoe when it is launched. Then the stroker has to take the canoe out past the surf, and then when it’s safe, bring it back to shore to pick up the captain.

It was a fun paddle and we saw whales. We usually see whales this time of year, but not always.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1537 on: February 03, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
The hockey team I play on in the 18 and up has finally folded. The competition in the upper div has gotten so good that we were the Generals to the Harlem Globe Trotters. Two of our best players jumped off the team to form their own team and the captain of the old team couldn't get new skaters. I tried to tell him what was going to happen but he didn't want to see it. Well turns out this new team ( they are very good) asked me to play goalie. I'm very flattered. I am getting old and I don't move as well as I use to. I always have considered myself as serviceable and not to much of a liability. I can't carry the team in the upper division so it is nice when I give up a goal knowing the the team can score and get it back. The other team I was on I knew I had to have a great game to win. It is a fun team to play on.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1538 on: February 09, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »
so a mate was talking to me about Phenibut recently, gunna give it a go.

anyone tried it?
had never heard of it, but apparently SBM had talked about it before.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/phenibut-is-neither-proven-nor-safe-as-a-prosocial-wonder-drug/
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1539 on: February 10, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
so a mate was talking to me about Phenibut recently, gunna give it a go.

anyone tried it?
had never heard of it, but apparently SBM had talked about it before.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/phenibut-is-neither-proven-nor-safe-as-a-prosocial-wonder-drug/

So, SBM explains why Phenibut is unsafe and probably ineffective, and you’re still going to try it? Or maybe you’re joking. Sometimes I’m really slow at realizing when someone is joking.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1540 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:08 AM »
No paddling yesterday due to weather, and even worse today. I’m going to have to go up to the clubhouse and get on the elliptical for 45 inmutes or an hour. Two days in a row without cardio is no good.

One of the canoe clubs I belong to has moved the canoes as far from the ocean as they can, and filled them with water, and the other is making plans to move their canoes to the other side of the street if conditions get bad enough. It might be a few days before we can go out again. The storm is bringing strong west winds, which blow onshore on this part of the island, creating high surf. The prevailing winds are offshore here, which can be dangerous if they are too strong, but the beach and near ocean usually get protection from the land.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1541 on: March 08, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
Stuck on the 10/6/4, 30 seconds rest, same weight routine.  One soon finds the weight one can use with good form, only just.  I think it is a pretty good way to have a short and effective workout.  Mark Sisson recommended it for ageing athletes as it is less likely to cause injuries... and of course we can all rest on our distant past PBs.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1542 on: March 08, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »
Unusual wind here again. Normally we're sheltered from the wind in the morning on this side of the island, but for a few days the wind has had just a little bit of a northerly component to it, causing it to come down the coast after it goes through the valley, and it's been giving us strong north wind here. So for the second time in three days I've had to use the elliptical trainer. Yesterday I went out in the kayak, so we were able to launch from Makena Landing where there was a pocket of calm.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1543 on: March 08, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »
Snow. More snow. Annoying snow.

I don't ski.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1544 on: March 08, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
I had a nice leg work out today. Squats and deads. My favorite day.  :)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

personate-rain