Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 218825 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1575 on: September 01, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
Yesterday, with only five people in a six-person outrigger canoe, we paddled from Maui Canoe Club to Maalaea harbor and back. We paddled all the way there without a break, stopped to rest in the harbor, and stopped to rest once on the way back. It was a great workout and I expected to be tired today. Instead of being tired this morning, I paddled the kayak from Makena Landing to Molokini in just one hour. I don't think I've ever made it that fast before. We snorkeled and freedived in the crater for an hour and a half, and then paddled back almost as fast, just a few minutes over an hour. I think I'm increasing my stamina. I wasn't paddling faster than I used to do, but I took far fewer rests. Only two stops on the way back, with 45 minutes between. With the time it takes to fasten the kayaks to a buoy, get my freedive gear on, and get my gear off after getting out of the water, we were out for four hours.

A great morning and an excellent workout.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1576 on: September 15, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
My resting heart rate is down to 45 bpm for the first time since Ive been tracking it.
I may not be able to train for a week or so though so hopefully I dont lose my progress.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1577 on: September 15, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »
Regular bike ride yesterday with my regular buddy and he said- "I am envious, because I know how good it feels to be in the kind of condition you're in right now."

Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1578 on: September 16, 2019, 02:18:23 AM »
I just had a gym assessment.  12.5% body fat, I guessed it to be between 10 and 15. 

The VO2 max was 45.... rates excellent for a 45 year old and not bad for a 67 year old either.

I am shrinking in height, though.  Too be expected.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1579 on: September 23, 2019, 02:43:00 AM »
Went ski touring with a couple of young bucks (50).  Wx was perfect, snow was good, views were forever and the company as good as it gets.  But I am shattered.  But happy.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1580 on: September 23, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
A week ago today I went out for a hard workout paddle in a double (12-person) canoe. I knew what I was getting into and I wanted the hard workout. But it turned out to be so hard that I started to feel nauseated and had to call myself out for a while and rest. I can't remember ever having to do that before. The next day, being visitor paddle, which is always shorter, I used the elliptical before paddling, but had to stop at 35 minutes instead of my planned 45 minutes, and was very tired during the (easy) visitor paddle. Was still tired on Wednesday's paddle.

After paddling on Wednesday I drove to Wailuku where I got the second in the two-shot series of the Shringrix vaccine. That vaccine leaves you with a very sore arm for several days, and can make you feel tired as well as several other minor side-effects. On Thursday (visitor day at the canoe club again) I again used the elliptical, but had to stop after 20 minutes because I was so tired. I took a complete rest day on Friday, and paddled (but was very tired) on Saturday. Yesterday, Sunday, was my day to go kayaking for 4 hours, and my guide thought the conditions were ideal to go out to Molokini, but I didn't have the energy. We paddled slowly with lots of rest stops and spent an hour snorkeling and freediving close to our starting point, and ended up coming in after only 3 1/2 hours on the water because I just didn't feel up to more paddling.

I always want to spend more time on the water.

I'm afraid old age is kicking me in the head again, and that my fitness level is taking a hit, just as it did about a dozen years ago when I abruptly went from jogging 9 1/2 minute miles to jogging 12 1/2 minute miles. The paddle last Monday, before the shot, was hard, but not race-training hard, or even paddle-core hard. I've done longer, harder paddles than that. I have not decided yet, but I might take another rest day today.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1581 on: September 23, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
So, SBM explains why Phenibut is unsafe and probably ineffective, and you’re still going to try it? Or maybe you’re joking. Sometimes I’m really slow at realizing when someone is joking.

if they said chocolate was ineffective that would mean nothing to me, since I don't need to have faith in their words, I know chocolate in effective for me, and maybe others.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1582 on: September 23, 2019, 03:41:51 PM »
So, SBM explains why Phenibut is unsafe and probably ineffective, and you’re still going to try it? Or maybe you’re joking. Sometimes I’m really slow at realizing when someone is joking.

if they said chocolate was ineffective that would mean nothing to me, since I don't need to have faith in their words, I know chocolate in effective for me, and maybe others.

It's a silly comparison because nobody is making claims about the effects of chocolate. Chocolate is just something some people eat because they like the taste. People are taking Phenibut because of specific claims, which the SBM article casts doubt on.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1583 on: September 24, 2019, 04:58:54 AM »

It's a silly comparison because nobody is making claims about the effects of chocolate. Chocolate is just something some people eat because they like the taste. People are taking Phenibut because of specific claims, which the SBM article casts doubt on.

Sorry, but there are plenty of people eating cocoa for the nutritional benefits rather than just the taste.  Cocoa is probably the most nutrient dense plant food, although it pales in the light of organ meats, shellfish and fish roe.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #1584 on: September 24, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »

Sorry, but there are plenty of people eating cocoa for the nutritional benefits rather than just the taste.  Cocoa is probably the most nutrient dense plant food, although it pales in the light of organ meats, shellfish and fish roe.

For anything you can put in your mouth that won't kill you immediately, there are folks who will claim it's the healthiest thing you can eat and essential to good health, and others who will claim you should never, ever, touch it. I was not referring to these fringe folks. Normal people eat chocolate because it tastes good.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #1585 on: October 09, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »
My daughter signed up at Planet Fitness, but she doesn't have a car.  So, I have to take her and pick her up an hour later every time she goes.  For the first week, I would sit in my car playing games on my phone until she was done even though she asked me to come in as a free guest.  The second week, I went inside after never having stepped foot inside a commercial gym before.  I was scared, but they took me on a tour and explained things to me.  They have a ton of machines that are very easy to use.  I almost signed up, but then I remembered by daughter could have a free guest.

For the last 3 weeks, I've been working out with her for free.  I never in a million years thought I would enjoy working out, but now I miss it when I don't get to go.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1586 on: October 13, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
Our ski field is now closed.  Lovely spring snow and basically windless.  Mr Sun could have made a more positive appearance but even though the visuals were challenging at times, it was a great day out with my beautiful wife and her lovely girlfriend. 

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1587 on: October 27, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
I had to stop doing handstand push ups due to my tendon injury and have been working my shoulders at the gym instead. I really begrudge the time I have to spend there but the progress from starting a new exercise 2 months ago is very satisfying!
It hasnt been all bad spending more time there, I have learned some things from watching other gym users (mostly the female bodybuilders/power lifters. The guys seem to all be on roids and doing dumb and dangerous shit).
I have gotten friendly with an old guy who is a powerlifting champion and a couple of other regular faces.
Weirdly, the nicest guys in my gym are the ones training for illegal bare knuckle prize fights which are quite big in the area.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1588 on: November 04, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »
Google has bought FitBit.
I suppose they might be able to add interesting features and functions.
But I'm starting to fear that Google will be a Bigger Brother than Orwell even imagined.
Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain