Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 225393 times)

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1590 on: December 16, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
Ugh I have battled tendonitis my whole life. It is a pain in the ass. Usually when I lift heavy.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: December 16, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
Ugh I have battled tendonitis my whole life. It is a pain in the ass. Usually when I lift heavy.

Which tendons?  I seem to irritate ones in my wrist with too much shovelling or chainsawing.  But vitamin I seems to solve the problem.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: December 17, 2019, 04:49:37 AM »
Mine is due to having three tendons severed and reattached about 9 years ago. It affects my thumb mostly so anything involving prolonged grips can leave my hand shaking and difficult to use for a day or two. Even using my thumb to text can cause sharp pain.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »

Which tendons?  I seem to irritate ones in my wrist with too much shovelling or chainsawing.  But vitamin I seems to solve the problem.

Mostly Elbow and knees. It flairs up now and again. My left elbow is arthritic and I have a bit on my knee cap too. Sucks but I deal with it.

Vitamins never seem to help me.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: December 18, 2019, 04:32:04 AM »

Vitamin I is special, some callout ibuprofen.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #1595 on: December 18, 2019, 05:38:01 AM »

Vitamin I is special, some callout ibuprofen.

I have noticed that the RDA for Vitamin I increases with age.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: December 18, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
Since Ive had to take a long break from MMA and bodyweight exercises due to tendon injury I have been following more traditional workouts. I had to give up swimming for now because my pool membership lapsed and Im poor.
So I had been doing a run/lift cycle. My runs per week were 10k-5k-10k
And then lifting sessions were -Shoulders+arms
Back and core.
Legs and chest.
1hr per session.

That was a bit time consuming so I have cut back to:
10k-7k (sprint circuit)-5k-2.5k (best effort after lifting)
Lifts are 30minute sessions.

My resting heart rate is pretty much the same. Run times are roughly the same or slightly better. Lifts are down slightly on 1RM max but sessions are the same.
Body fat has gone from 9% to 8% but I mostly put that down to the beyond burgers replacing lots of snacks and eggs and using saturday as a low calorie day.
Still drinking beer 3 times a week (a bit more carefully) and eating takeaway once per week.
I turn 38 this month so Im pretty happy with that?

Really want to get back to grappling in the new year and maybe some striking training but rushing it is a bad idea.

I wonder how you measure body fat?  Are you using one of these impedance scales, which from experience aren’t particularly accurate or precise.  The manufacturers claim accuracy of around 3%, which sounds good until you look into it.  It’s probably not accuracy, but precision, and when the scales ‘tell’ me that my body fat percentage is 12.5% it could be anything from 9.5% to 15.5%, and day to day my body fat mass could be measured as anything between 7.7 kg to 8.3 kg (such wide variations shouldn’t be occurring from day to day since my exercise and diet are very consistent day to day).

I’ve had a recent problem with a very sore knee due to (as a working hypothesis chondromalacia patellae) from running on a treadmill, so I’ve had to drop the treadmill, and increase the stationary bike.  And the cross trainer (my workouts are cardio instead of weights).

I find paracetamol and/or ibuprofen adequate pain relief.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: December 18, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
I use calipers.
They arent super accurate I know but I take multiple readings and go with the average and realistically I only care about consistent tracking. The actual numbers dont matter to me.
But  I do match the general visual guides of what 8-10% looks like and it tracks with the weight I have lost.
I do take paracetamol if I feel pain coming on, but my injury more affects my dexterity than actually causing pain and the pills dont seem to help that.  There just seems to be nerve damage from the reattachment and Im concerned about the tendon snapping if I push too hard.

Hopefully I will have health insurance in the next year and can get checked out.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: December 18, 2019, 07:05:35 PM »
I wonder how you measure body fat?  Are you using one of these impedance scales, which from experience aren’t particularly accurate or precise.  The manufacturers claim accuracy of around 3%, which sounds good until you look into it.  It’s probably not accuracy, but precision, and when the scales ‘tell’ me that my body fat percentage is 12.5% it could be anything from 9.5% to 15.5%, and day to day my body fat mass could be measured as anything between 7.7 kg to 8.3 kg (such wide variations shouldn’t be occurring from day to day since my exercise and diet are very consistent day to day).

I had one of those scales. If I checked my body fat percentage before and after exercise, it consistently gave me a lower number after exercise. One exercise session will not burn a measurable amount of fat, but I sweat a lot. With less water, the percentage of my mass that is far will be higher.

So the scale was unreliable, probably very much so. And since it measures the impedance between the two feet, it cannot "see" anything above the waist.

True but weird: When I was booked into federal prison the P.A. did a sort of physical exam unlike any I've ever gotten from a real doctor, and one of the things he did was have us lie on a mat and attached electrodes to both hands and both feet to measure our body fat. At least that should "see" the whole body. There was never any followup exam to look for changes. We got a very high-fat diet in prison. The B.O.P. apparently has learned that well-fed, fat prisoners are less likely to cause trouble than hungry, skinny ones. The result was that I gained weight there.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: December 18, 2019, 07:49:53 PM »
I use calipers.
They arent super accurate I know but I take multiple readings and go with the average and realistically I only care about consistent tracking. The actual numbers dont matter to me.
But  I do match the general visual guides of what 8-10% looks like and it tracks with the weight I have lost.
I do take paracetamol if I feel pain coming on, but my injury more affects my dexterity than actually causing pain and the pills dont seem to help that.  There just seems to be nerve damage from the reattachment and Im concerned about the tendon snapping if I push too hard.

Hopefully I will have health insurance in the next year and can get checked out.

Being consistent in the method you use, and the time of day you use it (in relation to meals, exercise, and other...activities) is important:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ways-to-measure-body-fat

As an aside, I’ve noticed on the forums there’s been an increasing trend to omitting apostrophes.  Is this laziness, or is it the start of a trend in changing language?  15 years ago, after the reforms of the German language (mainly spelling), a linguist was asked what reform she’d make in the English language, and she replied that she’d get rid of the apostrophe, because the apostrophe doesn’t change the pronunciation of words (and apostrophes are often misused, as in the greengocer’s plural - ‘apple’s’).  And my last sentence disproves that statement, because ‘shed’ is pronounced differently to ‘she’d.’

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: December 18, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »
Tanita said 6%, the trainer and I rolled our eyes; her callipers, tapes, and formula said 12%.  We both thought I looked more like 12%.  I think those impedance scales have a long way to go to be accurate.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: December 18, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
As an aside, I’ve noticed on the forums there’s been an increasing trend to omitting apostrophes.  Is this laziness, or is it the start of a trend in changing language? 
There is a third option - error.
(or on the episode 753 thread a fourth - trolling excessively egregious pedantry)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: December 18, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »
Tanita said 6%, the trainer and I rolled our eyes; her callipers, tapes, and formula said 12%.  We both thought I looked more like 12%.  I think those impedance scales have a long way to go to be accurate.

One major problem with the impedance scales is that they have an ‘athlete’ mode and an ordinary mode.  The ‘athlete’ mode is supposed to be used if you exercise to exhaustion (more or less) for more than 10 hours a week. 

They give markedly different results if set to ‘athlete’ mode compared to the ordinary mode.  In my case around 3-5% instead of the more reasonable 12.5% (or thereabouts).

Why the impedance should differ in athletes compared to ordinary mortals is a mystery to me.  And why should there be such a binary division of people - athletes and ordinary people?  I can appreciate to some extent why gender needs to be set into the scales (although I still think that the impedance of males and females should be more or less the same).

The only use of impedance scales is to give an estimate of the trend in body fat percentage and body weight.  If your body weight and estimate of body fat percentage are increasing over weeks or months, then you need to do something.  Day to day variations don’t mean much.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 18, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »
We have a new gym in the village as the old one closed.  It is light and cheery and new gear; I rather like the weights and Olympic bar (all new).  A bit of getting used to, though.  There is no proper dip machine so I have offered to weld one together and the gym mistress will see if we are allowed to bolt it to the earthquake strengthening uprights.  Today she is trying to get a pair of 1.25kg weights as she can't make the 5kg jump with bench press.  I think they have to match the new gear.

It is in a reconditioned old garage in the centre of town and is the "Garage Gym".  The old "Mountain Gym" was an old Pyne's seed and fertiliser depot, and now the local welding/sculpture artist is moving in (cheaper and larger than her old studio).

NZ$10/wk (senior rate) and 24/7 access.

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 18, 2019, 08:34:31 PM »
As an aside, I’ve noticed on the forums there’s been an increasing trend to omitting apostrophes.  Is this laziness, or is it the start of a trend in changing language? 
There is a third option - error.
(or on the episode 753 thread a fourth - trolling excessively egregious pedantry)

It’s not pedantry.  I find it very off putting to be reading a very reasonable comment, and then to read a word that doesn’t have an apostrophe when it needs it or has one when it doesn’t.

Fluent readers don’t see every letter in a printed word.  They recognize the ‘shape’ of a word, and ascribe meaning to it in the context of the sentence.  ‘Apples’ has a different shape to ‘Apple’s.’  In the first I’ll automatically think of more than one piece of fruit, and in the second I’ll automatically think of some property of apples in general, such as colour.

Commenters should make an effort to ensure that their comments are grammatical with at least some attention to spelling (such as is possible with American and British practice) and coherence for the benefit of their readers.