Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 225346 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero twice, but not this time!
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1635 on: January 20, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »

Me and a couple regular riding buddies.  The three of us on average, are average height.

Charlie has a 210mm crank, and thin shorts!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:43:53 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 17, 2020, 09:55:42 PM »
Any tips/recommendations for someone planning to go vegetarian (focus on vegetables, giant salad once daily)?

For several reasons, I'm finally trying to make the change. 

And right out the gate, I am smitten by Wasa's crispbread.

FILEPHOTO:
Spoiler
[close]

They're light and crunchy without being crumby or crumbly. And each one's only 30 Cal - 40 Cal.  They're fantastic for quick snacks or light meals.  Load one up with harissa and diced capsicum, or hummus and diced onion.  Super good.

Makes me wonder what else I could be onto
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 18, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
Any tips/recommendations for someone planning to go vegetarian (focus on vegetables, giant salad once daily)?

For several reasons, I'm finally trying to make the change. 

And right out the gate, I am smitten by Wasa's crispbread.

FILEPHOTO:
Spoiler
[close]

They're light and crunchy without being crumby or crumbly. And each one's only 30 Cal - 40 Cal.  They're fantastic for quick snacks or light meals.  Load one up with harissa and diced capsicum, or hummus and diced onion.  Super good.

Makes me wonder what else I could be onto

Big salads, lots of veggies, some fruit but not a huge amount (because it has a lot of sugar). Avoid white-flour products like white bread, white rice, white pasta, in favor of the healthier and tastier 100% whole-grain versions. If you are going to continue eating milk and/or eggs, you don't need to worry about any sort of nutritional deficiencies. If not, make sure you're getting vitamin B12 somehow.

There are vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, and if you're in a big city there are probably vegetarian cooking classes.

I suppose my main advice would be to avoid fake meat. It's probably not very healthy, and eating it will keep you wanting that flavor and knowing it's never "the real thing." Avoiding fake meat will allow your preferences to change and eventually you won't feel you are missing out on anything. Beans in their many various forms and varieties are extremely flavorful. I used to cook beans from scratch, but I'm lazy now so I buy low-sodium vegetarian chili beans, which are delicious, though you can get much more variety if you make them from scratch.

Beware of soy sauce: It makes everything taste better, and one tablespoon has nearly half the recommended maximum daily dose of sodium. Tabasco Sauce, however, is very low in sodium and all you need are a few drops. Yeah, you didn't ask about sodium, but people eat many times more sodium than they should, and processed food is generally loaded with it, including the vegetarian processed food and the processed foods in the "health food" section and the "organic" section.

Tofu is really good, but only if prepared properly. In Asian cooking it's served almost raw, which I don't like at all. Cooked all the way through with the right seasonings (which will depend on personal preference) and then sautéed until golden brown, it's absolutely delicious.

I lived for a short time in a place where I could get fresh tempeh. It was really good. I was much less impressed with the packaged kind. If you have access to fresh tempeh you might want to try it.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: March 23, 2020, 03:58:54 AM »
The gym is closed.  My bicycle is not.  We are allowed to ride, but not in groups.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 23, 2020, 03:46:27 PM »
The gym is closed.  My bicycle is not.  We are allowed to ride, but not in groups.

Now that gyms are closed, I’m going to have to go for very long bike rides too.  My one great fear is getting a puncture when I’m a long distance from home.  I’m buying a stationary bike (I hope it will be delivered soon).  Missing my daily exercise fix is my major worry at the moment.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 23, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
...  My one great fear is getting a puncture when I’m a long distance from home. ...

During the brief time I was riding a bicycle, this was always my second-biggest fear (after being hit by a car). I was lucky: It never happened. Then I developed an inflamed IT band and had to quit cycling.

On days when I cannot paddle and don't need a rest day, I use my elliptical. It's a good machine for indoor exercise. At level 1 it's about like walking up a slight incline. At level 5 it's an all-out cardio session (for me).
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 23, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
I did my first long bike ride this morning to take the place of the daily sessions in the gym now closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  I did 48 km in mumble mumble (I don’t like to admit that a granny on a 3-speed bike managed to pass me).

It was quite enjoyable, although I can’t get my heart rate above 126 bpm and my average HR was only 102 BPM (my resting HR is around 40 BPM).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:13 PM »
Our "Bubble Gym".  Knocking on winter's door, though.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 30, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
They closed the State Park to cars, but still allow bikes and hikers.  It's actually very nice riding, but more than a little creepy.

This guy is last years Masters' National Champ - rainbow trim on his sleeves and everything.  Passed me like a bullet train.

It'll take a police action to make me ride my rollers in the garage.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:48 PM »
Lucky you.  We are only allowed "neighbourhood" rides and walks.  I have an 18km local ride to the village grocery and back. Kind of pushing the envelope with that, actually. 

The cops are arresting violators.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 30, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
They closed the State Park to cars, but still allow bikes and hikers.  It's actually very nice riding, but more than a little creepy.

This guy is last years Masters' National Champ - rainbow trim on his sleeves and everything.  Passed me like a bullet train.

It'll take a police action to make me ride my rollers in the garage.

Image does not show up for me.
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 30, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Image does not show up for me.

Freakin goooglephotos dumbass file names probably.

Friend of mine sent me this from Spain...  Army enforcers:

I am indeed lucky to be able to still ride up the local mountain.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 30, 2020, 06:43:14 PM »
Its been home workouts for me the last few weeks.
Strength sessions have been fairly easy since I have a kettlebell, dumbells and a pull up bar in my tiny flat.

Cardio has been more challenging but some circuit training, hitting my home made floor to ceiling bag and a doing an hour of lunges while watching a movie seem to have replaced running pretty well.

I also stopped having toast for breakfast and moved it to lunch to replace my baked potato so I have a sandwich now instead. That small adjustment along with having one chicken leg per meal as opposed to two has helped me lose 2kg so far.
It also means my food is lasting longer so I dont need to shop as regularly because....pandemic.