Author Topic: Music of your generation  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Music of your generation
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:27:13 AM »
Almost considered asking this in the General Forum
What I am curious is how much do you gravitate towards music from when you were a kid / teenagers?
I try to stay at least kind of current but there is something about music from the 80's (when I was a teenager)
I don't consider it "special" but  just seemed to ingrain itself.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
Re: Music of your generation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
I grew up on 80's metal, everything from Poison to Metalica, then to more Progressive Rock.  The only bands from that era I still listen to regularly are Iron Maiden, and Alice Cooper.  That influenced me most in the fact that most of the music I listen to, new or old is guitar oriented and usually very layered and complex.  I like very wall of sound sort of music: probably why I listen to a lot of Peter Gabriel and Devin Townsend.

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:54 AM »
In my teenage years (late 90's) I used to listen to mostly techno and house music.  Nowadays I'm not so much into the house stuff, but I do still listen to trance (psy/goa) and ambient/electronica stuff. I have a wide variety of musical tastes though, so I can't really say there's any one genre I prefer. It depends what mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll want to hear some Tool or Dream theater, sometimes it will be Breton Gwerz folk tunes.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:44 AM »
My anecdotal experience (mine along with that of other people I've asked) is that interest in new music seems to wane in mid to late 20s. That doesn't mean interest in specifically modern music, but in discovering new music (which could be old).

From the time I was 18 until the time I was about 26 I couldn't stop listening to anything new I could get my hands on. Since that time (I'm 28 now) I may pick up a new album at a rate of about once a month if I hear it recommended from a number of sources I trust.

Most of what I listen to now is stuff I discovered when I was 19 and 20, a lot of which is stuff that first came out when I was 15 and 16.

When I was 15 and 16 I had absolutely horrid taste in music.

Offline David E.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
My anecdotal experience (mine along with that of other people I've asked) is that interest in new music seems to wane in mid to late 20s. That doesn't mean interest in specifically modern music, but in discovering new music (which could be old).

From the time I was 18 until the time I was about 26 I couldn't stop listening to anything new I could get my hands on. Since that time (I'm 28 now) I may pick up a new album at a rate of about once a month if I hear it recommended from a number of sources I trust.

Most of what I listen to now is stuff I discovered when I was 19 and 20, a lot of which is stuff that first came out when I was 15 and 16.

Like in most things you don't really develope your own taste until you hit your 20's
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's so I listened to the rock of that era (Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, etc.)
I eventually migrated to more of a new alt/grunge type flavor.
Looks like I am attending this ->  ROCK ALLEGIANCE to give you an idea of my current taste.
I am still known to listen to literally just about anything from Tin Pan Alley to Marilynn Manson to Chopin.
Oh, except for rap and country which I do not consider music at all.

:P
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »
Great question.

I love the music from all eras of my life. I also strive to find excellent new music. Couple things that strike me about this. One, there's nothing sadder than someone bleating on about how there's no good music these days, and that the music from their teen years is the best ever made. And two, there's plenty of fantastic music being made these days, but you normally have to wade through a plethora of abject shit to find it. It's not too hard if you look in the right places, though.

Admittedly, most modern pop music is pretty harrowing.

Offline David E.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »
I just want auto-tune to die. 

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »
Hmm, when I first really got into music it was thrash metal and punk. Slayer, megadeath, anthrax, metallica, suicidal tendencies, DRI, agnostic front, gorilla biscuits, Sepultura,  nuclear assault, overkill, the misfits… But soon after getting out on my own mellowed out and got into all different types of music from jam bands to indie. These day I’m all over the place. I can enjoy music of the 80s I hated when I was younger but now get nostalgic for.

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:56 AM »

That was very similar to my experience. My interest in new music tailed off significantly in my late 20s and I'm more likely to listen to music from my teens and early 20s.  Y'know.  Back when music was good.  ;D
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
When I was in high School in the mid 1980s, there was very little contemporary music that I really liked.
I suppose Stevie Ray Vaughan and Rush were the only acts around then that I really cared for.

I liked certain metal--but was NOT a metal head. I liked *some* punk, but mostly listened to the classic rock of '67-77.

My taste for "new" music didn't wane in my 20s--stuff I had never heard was "new" to me.
I got VERY into old blues, old folk music of the British Isles and Appalachia, world music, and then for a while got very into Classical and Jazz. Also managed to get a Bob Dylan fixation for a while.

It wasn't until my late 30s that I started buying the old "classic rock" albums on CD that I had originally had on LP.

There's no such thing as denial.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
The "music of my generation" basically boils down to 1994. That seems like the time when all the best stuff came out. But then again, I don't listen to as many of the bands from that era as I used to.

The thing about discovering new music constantly is that it is a very time-intensive process. You can spend hours everyday downloading, cataloging, and listening to new stuff. After a while, you stop spreading yourself out all over the place. You develop an idea of what's worth paying attention to. What styles of music, which performers whose career you follow, which local bands you go see in dives or which giant bands you buy overpriced arena tickets for.

I'd say my tastes are pretty settled, but I find I don't have a specific style I like better, or that I hate. What I value in musicians is hard to define. They need to make me believe they are artists and not a product, I guess. Probably explains why I am so biased against mainstream and so into CBC Radio 3.

Right now I am enjoying the hell outta Jack White. He'd better come out here on this tour.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

Right now I am enjoying the hell outta Jack White. He'd better come out here on this tour.

When I mention stuff from when I was 15 and 16 that I got into in my early 20s White Stripes is definitely one of the things I had in mind. How's his solo stuff? Worth listening to?

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »

When I mention stuff from when I was 15 and 16 that I got into in my early 20s White Stripes is definitely one of the things I had in mind. How's his solo stuff? Worth listening to?

Fuck yes. I liked the White Stripes a lot, and as much as I enjoyed his man-vs-guitar sound, when you hear this new album, you realize how much of a handicap he was imposing on himself by having a bad drummer. This new record is just... unleashed genius.

If it doesn't win album of the year in ALL music news outlets, it will be a grave injustice.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
when you hear this new album, you realize how much of a handicap he was imposing on himself by having a bad drummer.

Haha, yeah, her ineptitude always bothered me.