Author Topic: Non-Readers (No Book Spoilers) Game of Thrones TV Show Thread  (Read 68875 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Non-Readers (No Book Spoilers) Game of Thrones TV Show Thread
« Reply #1200 on: October 13, 2017, 03:01:15 AM »
Twitter is canceling Jason Momoa for bragging about 'raping beautiful women' on 'GoT'

Rape isn't a punchline.

"rape is not a punchline"

the only refutation needed is the audience's laughter.

anything's a joke if you can make it funny.

Reportedly, Twitter is now banning his account over it.

brag about actual sexual assault -- welcome to the white house, mr president. enjoy tweeting to the public.
brag about consensual acting out of rape fantasies -- naughty boy!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:07:19 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1201 on: October 13, 2017, 08:04:38 AM »
Depends on the audience too. Attend enough sci-fi/fantasy/comic/anime conventions and you'll understand how obsequious fanboys will laugh at any lame joke told by one of their idols.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1202 on: October 13, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Depends on the audience too. Attend enough sci-fi/fantasy/comic/anime conventions and you'll understand how obsequious fanboys will laugh at any lame joke told by one of their idols.

yeh. you get that at award shows, too. but they sounded pretty sincere. perhaps it was a case of 'knowing your audience' -- made them laugh, wouldn't make Jezebel blog conference laugh
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #1203 on: October 13, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
I feel this is one part legitimate, one part callout culture, and one part witch hunt on the heels of Weinstein.

It lay dormant for 6 years and then becomes an issue only after Harvey? I guess the only salient difference is we can comb back as far as social media and smartphones become ubiquitous, and everyone else, no matter how much actual rape has been perpetrated, are safe from call out. I'm not suggesting we ignore these things, but it feels awfully arbitrary at this point.

I suppose this is a good lesson though to the "boys" about what rape culture is and what it leads to. If Jason can joke about it for the lulz, then people can look the other way while Harvey is actually doing it. It's a fucking mess for sure.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1204 on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
He made an apology and I have heard but cant verify that he did actually apologise back in 2011 also, so I think he is fine and many of the dreaded commentors on Jezebel seem to think so too.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #1205 on: October 13, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
I also think the word "bragging" here is a little loaded. It certainly sounds, and is, worse than "joking," which is bad enough, but I don't think his comments rose to the level of bragging without a hefty load of projection on the author's part. This inability to distinguish the difference is what makes people sick of "PC" culture, which I believe is a conflation of callout culture. They tend to sound the same where one seeks social justice and the other is all about righteous indignation. YMMV
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #1206 on: October 13, 2017, 02:32:35 PM »
I agree that the word "bragging" seems pretty odd.  Are we saying that this man bragged about a sexual assault that he pretended to do with a consenting woman...and that's the same as bragging about raping someone?

While I find the joke crass, I don't see how it's a bannable offense.  I mean, from his perspective (as well as Emilia Clarke I assume) this was acting to fulfill a role.  Not only did no rape take place, it didn't even rise to the level of couples who act out rape fantasies in their bedrooms...because there was no sex either.

It was poorly worded, and probably a bad idea of a joke that shouldn't be told in that way.  But for fuck's sake, Donald Trump can't get kicked off of Twitter.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #1207 on: October 13, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
I feel this is one part legitimate, one part callout culture, and one part witch hunt on the heels of Weinstein.

It lay dormant for 6 years and then becomes an issue only after Harvey? I guess the only salient difference is we can comb back as far as social media and smartphones become ubiquitous, and everyone else, no matter how much actual rape has been perpetrated, are safe from call out. I'm not suggesting we ignore these things, but it feels awfully arbitrary at this point.

I suppose this is a good lesson though to the "boys" about what rape culture is and what it leads to. If Jason can joke about it for the lulz, then people can look the other way while Harvey is actually doing it. It's a fucking mess for sure.

I think he's a victim of this scandal's feeding frenzy. The media smell blood in the water so they start for looking for anything anywhere that might seem similar enough to feed the scandal and attract ratings/readers/eyeballs.

He's also a victim of making light of something one should not make light of. He was an actor, portraying a rapist, he's not being criticized for that, or even talking about that, but more for making light about the subject, and by extension, rape. Not very sensitive, tone deaf to say the least. But he did apologize back then and again now, so what's the big deal?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1208 on: October 14, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »
I also think that calling Game of Thrones out as a perpetrator of rape culture is a bit of a stretch.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1209 on: January 03, 2019, 05:39:39 AM »
We started re-watching from season one and forgot so much about the show. There is so much foreshadowing. I know not every season is great, but am really appreciating it more the second time around. Everyone looks so young!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1210 on: January 03, 2019, 08:57:05 AM »
We started re-watching from season one and forgot so much about the show. There is so much foreshadowing. I know not every season is great, but am really appreciating it more the second time around. Everyone looks so young!

I found too it's interesting to watch a season's eps in backwards order. You also see the foreshadowing.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #1211 on: January 03, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »

Going to start on my third rewatch soon, I'm quite excited.

personate-rain