Author Topic: Non-Readers (No Book Spoilers) Game of Thrones TV Show Thread  (Read 77745 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: Non-Readers (No Book Spoilers) Game of Thrones TV Show Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
Who was the curly haired guy who had his sister pledged to Joffery? I forget all his part in this.

He was stannis brothers lover and his sister was married to him.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
That's a fun hypothetical. Say you're a hedge knight wondering across Westeros listening to reports of the war of five kingdoms from drunks and town criers, with none of the knowledge of the books or show, who do you offer your services too?

Hmm....

I think Renly would have been my obvious choice: adult, sane, has a good claim to the throne and a large army. After his demise, I'd probably join the Tyrells and see where that gets me. But I wouldn't stay with them if the situation gets too iffy and I would surely sneak away if the dragon lady appeared with her air force.

If we can consider the books, I would join the wildlings in an instant.

The Tyrells would be a safe choice, but would the Tyrells (who are pledged to the Lannisters and the legitimate King) take you in after you rebelled against the true King and followed Renly Baratheon's banner?

If you showed up in Kings Landing looking for work, you might end up with your head on a spike.    Though with the battle having just finished, the Lannisters might be hurting for manpower and take you in anyway.  My only concern would be that King Joffrey might have given some sort of "death to all traitors" order or something.....he's a bit of a shit....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:20:13 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »
If we can consider the books...

oi! it says _no book spoilers_!
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
That's a fun hypothetical. Say you're a hedge knight wondering across Westeros listening to reports of the war of five kingdoms from drunks and town criers, with none of the knowledge of the books or show, who do you offer your services too?

Hmm....

I think Renly would have been my obvious choice: adult, sane, has a good claim to the throne and a large army. After his demise, I'd probably join the Tyrells and see where that gets me. But I wouldn't stay with them if the situation gets too iffy and I would surely sneak away if the dragon lady appeared with her air force.

If we can consider the books, I would join the wildlings in an instant.

The Tyrells would be a safe choice, but would the Tyrells (who are pledged to the Lannisters and the legitimate King) take you in after you rebelled against the true King and followed Renly Baratheon's banner?

If you showed up in Kings Landing looking for work, you might end up with your head on a spike.    Though with the battle having just finished, the Lannisters might be hurting for manpower and take you in anyway.  My only concern would be that King Joffrey might have given some sort of "death to all traitors" order or something.....he's a bit of a shit....

Don't forget that the Tyrells were pledged to Renly up until Stannis waltzed in and murdered him. Only afterwards did they team up with the Lannisters, so I'm certain people following them would be treated just as cordially.

If we can consider the books...

oi! it says _no book spoilers_!

There were no Spoliers here. I meant that a knight would have heard only bad things about the Wildlings, but based on the series and/or the (first two) books I personally would prefer to side with them.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
Who was the curly haired guy who had his sister pledged to Joffery? I forget all his part in this.

He was stannis brothers lover and his sister was married to him.

Oh yeah. That was a hot sex scene.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »
But the poor imp! Quite reduced in status. Wonder how he's going to claw his way back.

Korean Podcast

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »
But the poor imp! Quite reduced in status. Wonder how he's going to claw his way back.

Im not really getting this. He served his father well and saved the city for his father to ultimatly save. Why is he getting fucked over?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »

Im not really getting this. He served his father well and saved the city for his father to ultimatly save. Why is he getting fucked over?

As the bald guy notes, some people remember what he did. Why the bald guy is still being nice to him, I'm not sure. Probably because he's splitting his bet? He knows Tyrian is pretty darn resourceful and can probably claw his way to the top again and at some level has some amount of honor. He'll pay him back for sending him his babe. His dad won't easily let him be killed or anything.

Korean Podcast

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

Remember, the Queen wants revenge for him sending her daughter away.......
Well.  There it is.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »

Oh yeah.

Korean Podcast

Offline Jay_One

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Unimportant post so that this thread shows up in my new replies page.
A man reading a thesaurus saunters into a tavern.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
Unimportant post so that this thread shows up in my new replies page.

That's what :munch: is for

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »

Yeah, i remember, but i don't see how this battle has set her free for revenge.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

Yeah, i remember, but i don't see how this battle has set her free for revenge.

People die from convinient friiendly fire all the time.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
There were no Spoliers here. I meant that a knight would have heard only bad things about the Wildlings, but based on the series and/or the (first two) books I personally would prefer to side with them.

oh ok. I was under the impression things went favorably for them or something...
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

personate-rain