Author Topic: Readers (Lots of Book Spoilers) Game of Thrones TV Show Thread  (Read 27599 times)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Readers (Lots of Book Spoilers) Game of Thrones TV Show Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
Agreed.

Armour looked alright too. Had a melted look to it as you'd expect of glass armour, or were you picturing something more crystalline and sparkly? :D

As I recall, they are described as wearing armor that looks like it's made of ice.

I liked his/her/its ice weapons.

I'm not sure why it was necessary to kill Xaro, except to keep viewers from later wondering "I wonder what happened to Xaro?" 

The Dragon thing struck me as weird too. In the books, the (much larger) dragons smash their way through the House of the Undying and actively free on their own accord.  In the show, they are acting out of self preservation to free themselves from the prison.  The book makes it much clearer that the dragons make the specific effort to free her.

The fall of Winterfell is so vastly different that I wonder how/if the Roose & Ramsay Bolton storyline will ever even occur.

I understand most of the differences, I just wish Podrick Payne got more camera time to be the unsung badass he really is.....I am quite glad that the next book will be broken up over a couple seasons. 

I sort of wish Clash Of Kings had been too.  I do agree, the ultimate essence of the story is still intact.  Just not as richly detailed.

Well.  There it is.

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
Well at least they got the sword right this time.

With Xaro and the Warlock dead, who's going to send the faceless man to try and kill Danaerys? It's the perfect intro for Barristan Selmy so I hope they keep it.

As for Ramsay I can't recall if Roose ever refers to him by name during the scenes with Rob, only that he's sending his son to reclaim Winterfell. It must be him though, why would a loyal northerner liberate the city only to sack it.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
I have a suspicion they may be skipping the whole Ramsey subplot.  It might be a little much.....
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 10:14:22 AM »
I don't think there's any way the Ironborn could have trashed Winterfell. Had to be the Northern force. They have two seasons to flesh out book three, and Bolton's bastard has been mentioned. This story at least is keeping in line with the books I think.

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
I liked how the Other's body was wisping, like it was so much colder than the cold temperature of the air. My question is why exactly did it ignore Sam? Did it see that he had dragonglass? If so, why didn't it pause in any way to re-evaluate the assault? Did it think him clearly cowed and not worth the effort? Did it know taking him out would throw the wights off in some way? Did it not actually see him somehow?

I was SO disappointed at the House of the Undying! No Rhaegar, no Aerys, no freaky-ass dwarves, no wolfy corpse dinner, no creepy withered wizards? They could have worked in at least one.

One more thing - We lost out on a great aspect of Brienne's character development. She doesn't make her first kill until book 4, and wonders a lot if she was capable of doing it. Nice to see her being bad-ass, but I can't imagine her having an opportunity to have killed someone before...

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
That being said, I really enjoyed Brienne in the last episode.  Gwen Christie is great.

They really need an couple episodes of the next season devoted solely to the Brienne/Jaime "road movie" arc in Storm of Swords. 

For me, it's one of the highlights of the entire saga.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 10:56:55 AM »
I don't think there's any way the Ironborn could have trashed Winterfell. Had to be the Northern force. They have two seasons to flesh out book three, and Bolton's bastard has been mentioned. This story at least is keeping in line with the books I think.

It was alluded to that Robb Stark sent an offer to the Ironborn urging them to betray Theon, at least this is what I remember from maybe the last episode. So probably they just left, handed Theon over and then the Boltons trashed the whole place.

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
Well in the books the flayed men simply murder the Ironborn, but Theon's own man turning on him like that still captured the sense of betrayal he felt when Ramsay/Reek knocks him unconscious.
As has been said, while most characters and stories are different, the result is always the same as the books. Especially their emotional state.

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »

One more thing - We lost out on a great aspect of Brienne's character development. She doesn't make her first kill until book 4

What about the guards she cut down in Renly's tent after going berserk?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
Loras was the one who lost his shit.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Jeez, the show's rewriting my memories.

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
Waitaminute... she did kill some dudes in Renly's tent in the show. Don't recall if there was a reaction on her part or not.

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
Well they call it blind rage for a reason, not that it matters. It's hard to imagine anyone who can sodomise a man with a long sword has an aversion to killing.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »
Waitaminute... she did kill some dudes in Renly's tent in the show. Don't recall if there was a reaction on her part or not.

That may be true - I don't recall.  I am much more familiar with the books, and there she was at first WTFing, the Cat said lets get the hell out of here.  She may have fought with guards on their way out, but Loras was the one went batshit.  Brienne kinda shut down.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
Just re-watched it. She killed a few guards who were trying to kill her, looked pretty fierce and not reticent during the fighting. Then broke down over Renly, then Catelyn convinced her to flee. So... meh, I guess she's over killing people, in the show.