Author Topic: Regarding Current Events  (Read 14279 times)

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
Regarding Current Events
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
Is there anyway to dissociate this forum with Rebecca entirely or would we have to create a new forum?  I am sickened, angered, and hurt by her Twitter remarks. 
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
Re: Regarding Current Events
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
Is there anyway to dissociate this forum with Rebecca entirely or would we have to create a new forum?  I am sickened, angered, and hurt by her Twitter remarks.

Haha, sure there's a way. Is it happening? Hell no.

I suggest going to the archive and listening to the shows before the oh-so-painfully-cool sourpuss arrived on the scene and polluted it up. We can do our best to delude ourselves into believing she never happened.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
We'd probably have to dissociate with sgu as a whole and rename the boards. It is tempting though.

Offline Shadow Of A Doubt

• Well Established
  • Talk to the whiskers
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
How associated are we with her non-SGU activities? I have always been under the impression that this is not really a fan board for the rogues but a way for people with at least a passing interest in skepticism to interact.
"What, are you also proposing some magical colour midway between black and white?  Shall we call it "whack", maybe, or "blite"?  Nice imagination there, buddy."
amysrevenge

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
We'd probably have to dissociate with sgu as a whole and rename the boards. It is tempting though.

Who funds/owns this forum?

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
Belg funds it, but things may be changing on that front. Jay has control over the domain. All of the mods and rogues have administrative control.

Part of the problem here is that I still greatly love and respect the rest of the rogues, and that is the majority. I do this for them, and will continue to volunteer in whatever small way I can because I think they are doing a world of good for the skeptical movement. As much as this crap frustrates me, I've been putting up with Rebecca's shitty treatment of us for years, and have come to ignore it. There is nothing she can do or say to make me lose the respect I have for the majority of the sgu and what it stands for.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »
Belg funds it, but things may be changing on that front. Jay has control over the domain. All of the mods and rogues have administrative control.

Part of the problem here is that I still greatly love and respect the rest of the rogues, and that is the majority. I do this for them, and will continue to volunteer in whatever small way I can because I think they are doing a world of good for the skeptical movement. As much as this crap frustrates me, I've been putting up with Rebecca's shitty treatment of us for years, and have come to ignore it. There is nothing she can do or say to make me lose the respect I have for the majority of the sgu and what it stands for.

Hmm, weird setup. By Belg I guess you mean Belgorath? Is he friends with Steve or someone?

I hear you, though. In the last few years I've come to think that skepticism is an important thing for humanity.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
How things have ended up the way they are is a long and complex, and mostly irrelevant discussion. I'm not going to bother with it here, especially considering that my biases would make for an unfortunately one sided story, and not one I care to make public. These forums are not going to separate themselves from the sgu. We could always move the rabecca 'detractors' to an other forum, but that stinks way too much of the ils drama I've already been through. I'm not interested in going through that again.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
I'm not friends with Steve or any of the Rogues.

I've been funding the  forums just over a year now.  Previously they were on a different server and the owner of that server essentially hosted for free.  There was some sort of a dust up between that guy and someone.  Karyn stepped in for a month or so to fund and because I felt bad about the whole situation and because I know I can financially afford it, I felt I should do SOMETHING to give back to the community, so I began funding the forums and have ever since.

Heck, I don't even know if the rogues know that I do it (haven't heard a peep from any of them about it).  I will continue to do so as long as needed.

While I'm not happy with Rebecca's disparaging us, I don't think disassociating the forums from SGU is a good idea.  Karyn's thoughts are right on point.

I haven't really talked about it much, because I'm just a 'normal' poster here, just like everyone else.  Don't have moderator privileges, don't really need them or want them, all I do is send paypal money every month.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »

I've been funding the  forums just over a year now.  Previously they were on a different server and the owner of that server essentially hosted for free.  There was some sort of a dust up between that guy and someone.  Karyn stepped in for a month or so to fund and because I felt bad about the whole situation and because I know I can financially afford it, I felt I should do SOMETHING to give back to the community, so I began funding the forums and have ever since.

Heck, I don't even know if the rogues know that I do it (haven't heard a peep from any of them about it).  I will continue to do so as long as needed.

While I'm not happy with Rebecca's disparaging us, I don't think disassociating the forums from SGU is a good idea.  Karyn's thoughts are right on point.

I haven't really talked about it much, because I'm just a 'normal' poster here, just like everyone else.  Don't have moderator privileges, don't really need them or want them, all I do is send paypal money every month.

Sorry for misspelling your name! :)

Shit, dude, pretty lame that you get no credit for funding this whole thing.

I agree and don't see the point in creating a whole new forum. There's no need or point, and it just means more division, factions, and resentments.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Shit, dude, pretty lame that you get no credit for funding this whole thing.
Indeed.  Please accept my thanks and a virtual smooch.

I agree and don't see the point in creating a whole new forum. There's no need or point, and it just means more division, factions, and resentments.
Totes +1 with bacon.  Sigh.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

I had no idea. Thank you very much. 

And thanks to the mods here. Ya'll are a great bunch.

Offline Shadow Of A Doubt

• Well Established
  • Talk to the whiskers
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »

Wow, thanks dude. :tiphat: I assumed the money came from the SGU. I feel like you deserve to be credited somewhere on here for that.
"What, are you also proposing some magical colour midway between black and white?  Shall we call it "whack", maybe, or "blite"?  Nice imagination there, buddy."
amysrevenge

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
Haha, who put, "A pocket of dumb in a sea of awesome" at the top of the forum list?

By the way, thanks for keeping the forums up Belgarath :)
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »
Belgarath, thanks so much! 

I do not want to dissociate from the SGU.  I'm just sick of the drama that surrounds Rebecca.  I know she hasn't had much to do here in years but if she still considers this "her forum" then I'd like to have that change somehow. 
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

personate-rain
personate-rain