Author Topic: Received Warning  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • -deleted-
Received Warning
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
Dear whoever you are,

i just received this message:

"Lancezh,

You have received a warning for posting abusive language directed at another member. This is in regard to post Re: Rebecca Watson to Not Attend TAM This Year.

Please cease this behavior and abide by the forum rules; otherwise, we will take further action.

Regards,
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe Forum Moderation Team"

I have a problem with this administrative behaviour:

[deleted]
I would like to know WHO thinks that it is that way or at least give me an opportunity to reply to this, since when i press reply i get an empty recipient.

[deleted]

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:38:43 PM by Lancezh »
-deleted-

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: Received Warning
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
Dear whoever you are,

i just received this message:

"Lancezh,

You have received a warning for posting abusive language directed at another member. This is in regard to post Re: Rebecca Watson to Not Attend TAM This Year.

Please cease this behavior and abide by the forum rules; otherwise, we will take further action.

Regards,
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe Forum Moderation Team"

I have several problems with this administrative behaviour:

For one i would like to know WHY i receive a warning suddenly out of nowhere, since i read all my statements from today and i don't see anything offensive towards anyone else so dont expect me to reconsider anything until you tell me EXACTLY what you mean.

I would like to know WHO thinks that it is that way or at least give me an opportunity to reply to this, since when i press reply i get an empty recipient.

Is it common practice that you don't clarify why you warn people exactly (i think i can expect at least a quote) ? Is it common practice that you don't even bother with the accused being able to defend himself or clarify ? (With the inherent possiblity to sling an excuse to the people he might have attacked ?)

I'm not the mod who issued the warning, so I'm afraid I can't readily furnish you with a full explanation of what you were warned for and why.

However, there is one concern that I can address.

It seems you have found the place that grants you such an opportunity.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
==
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:25:38 PM by Louie »

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
[deleted]

???

I'm not gonna whine, i'm asking you politely again to quote what led you to issue a warning, i can explain every statement i made in there and i want to stand up for it.

EDIT: [deleted]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:30:31 PM by Lancezh »
-deleted-

Offline Louie

• God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
Just to be clear: I was the one who edited Karyn's post.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
Just to be clear: I was the one who edited Karyn's post.

I apologize. I will delete it in my upper quote then, its not gonna add anything to the subject.

Louie, the reason why i asked for a recipient is that i dont need to necessarly do this in public, its not my intention to fuel it even more, however if you are cool with that i'm fine with it as well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:33:24 PM by Lancezh »
-deleted-

Offline Louie

• God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
I understand that, Lancezh, and I find that laudable. However, I think the lack of a recipient in the reply function as such is in place because - in principle - a warning issued by one mod is a warning issued on behalf of the whole mod team. To promote transparency about issues that affect all members (our enforcement of the forum rules), it's beneficial to discuss problems members have with the way those rules are enforced in a public place.

Edit: If a member has problems with discussing it in public, I'm sure a solution can be found where the mod who issued the warning explains it in a PM.

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
I accept that to the full extent.

From my own Forummoderation experience i'm just abstracting that i try to supply a reason always so people can understand. Usually people start to argue and talk their way out of it, and its tedious in the end. But in my opinion as a mod / admin you owe at least a proper explanation on why you did it.
However, that the decision stands and is not discussed afterwards (For example, not saying this is the case here) is certainly a matter of taste on how you handle things and needs to be accepted either way (you can't discuss such small fuss endlessly).

My problem is, i dont understand it at all. And therefore i wont accept it. This forum and platform is important to me like no other so this IS a big fuss for me.
-deleted-

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
Lancezh -

I gave you that warning.

It contained a link to the post for which you received the warning.

If you had clicked on it, you would have seen that the entirety of your contribution in that post was:

What the fuck is your problem ?

Do you really need me to explain to you why that's not an acceptable response here?
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
Lancezh -

I gave you that warning.

It contained a link to the post for which you received the warning.

If you had clicked on it, you would have seen that the entirety of your contribution in that post was:

What the fuck is your problem ?

Do you really need me to explain to you why that's not an acceptable response here?

Oh my bad i didnt notice that this is a link it doesnt color it different for me for whatever reason, apologies.

Yes please explain how that justifies a warning, i think thats way over the top especially after what godslayer constantly implied about 3 times that justified for ten "what the fuck is your problem", because even after that he didnt answer, also read how someone else right after wrote in more elaborate terms what his problem is. I even bet that not even godslayer found that offensive although he can't stand the scent of me. I would agree if i would have said "fuck you" or something similar, but whatever.

The way you wrote your answer, i guess this is very obvious for you a violation, please note that it very obviously isnt for me and i dont get the point (honestly). If it comes down to the american standard of beeping out the word "fuck" as being offensive in general then i need to reconsider my stay here seriously since i dont agree with that at all.

I admit i was loaded at the time i wrote it, the same way i'm loaded when something goes wrong and one shouts "what the fuck man ?" yet i dont see the insult in any way.

You leave me puzzled.

EDIT: And thank you for replying, i edit my initial post to reflect my wrong assumption.

EDIT EDIT: After reading my response again i think i want to bring through that godslayer is constantly provoking without reacting after someone answers polite and just keeps throwing out more of it. I take it that that is not qualifying for being warnable ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:48:24 PM by Lancezh »
-deleted-

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
Yes please explain how that justifies a warning,

Because it's specifically in The Rules:

Please read these rules carefully. Our intent is to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion. To that end, we need the cooperation of all users.

Forum Rules and Acceptable Use Policy
[...]
Forum Disruption and Verbal Abuse
[...]
Actionable when directed at another user:
Any foul language directed at another user.

And allowing language like that doesn't lead to an intellectually-challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.

i think thats way over the top especially after what godslayer

I'm going to stop you right there.

I do not discuss warnings with third parties. I do not even acknowledge their existence. Do not assume that Godslayer did not also get a warning just because you do not know about it.

The way you wrote your answer, i guess this is very obvious for you a violation, please note that it very obviously isnt for me and i dont get the point (honestly). If it comes down to the american standard of beeping out the word "fuck" as being offensive in general then i need to reconsider my stay here seriously since i dont agree with that at all.

That is your decision to make.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »

I should address this too.

If anyone has a question about an administrative action, they can send me a PM. I'll find out what happened and resolve the situation or misunderstanding as best I can.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Lancezh

• Deleted
  • -deleted-
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »
I accept that, thank you for your clarification and sorry for the trouble i know that this is sometimes a hassle, i value your work or any forum administrators work alot since payment is shit and the trouble is lots...

Please delete my Forum Account as of now, since i do not agree with the rules this board is maintained then and this therefore invalidates my membership here. Yes i'm serious.

"And allowing language like that doesn't lead to an intellectually-challenging environment for rational, polite discussion."

I apologize for any inconvenience, i will still read on but not participate any longer actively then. No hard feelings, and thank you. Consider this as a weird form of protest will ya, it's an itchy subject to me for some reasons i wish not to disclose further.

Thread can be locked / deleted.

-deleted-

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Wow.  That's sad.

I will honor your request as best I can. I don't outright delete folks for a number of reasons, so I will move your account to the "Deleted" group.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
Why do people feel they have to go out in a hail of drama? Why not just stop posting?