Author Topic: Good Christian Rock  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Good Christian Rock
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

The grandfather of horror rock shows the young 'uns how it should be done.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
Re: Good Christian Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Can't actually tell if the title is ironic or not because I don't Alice's religious views.

Mmm, reminds me of something else—gonna make another thread.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
He's a fundamentalist Mormon who goes to Church every Sunday and leads Bible studies on Wednesdays.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
He's a fundamentalist Mormon who goes to Church every Sunday and leads Bible studies on Wednesdays.

Haha, Wiki says he's a born-again Christian. Oh, Alice.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »
I don't think Alice is the Fundie kind.  Brutal Planet is a great song. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »
I heard an interview where he says the world was created in six days.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »

Ugh, that's always fun. Nothing like hearing words like those coming out of the mouth of someone you want to/previously did respect.

Offline David E.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
It does not make me like his music any less.  If we only liked art that came from people who shared our belief systems...yadda yadda.

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
It does not make me like his music any less.  If we only liked art that came from people who shared our belief systems...yadda yadda.

I agree mostly. However, if the Christian message seeps into the lyrics, it's a deal breaker. I can't do Christian "metal".

Offline David E.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

I agree mostly. However, if the Christian message seeps into the lyrics, it's a deal breaker. I can't do Christian "metal".

Oh I agree.  I can't either.  I do love Gospel though.  Even if I hate the message, the delivery can be so beautiful and awesome.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:19 AM »

Oh I agree.  I can't either.  I do love Gospel though.  Even if I hate the message, the delivery can be so beautiful and awesome.

To me context is a huge part. Funny thing, if I'm listening to Loretta Lynn sing the praises of Jesus, I dig it. I can just accept it as tradition, and even see some type of beauty in it. But Christian "death metal" makes me fucking retch.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
If the music stands on its own, I don't care about its message (J.S. Bach, gospel music), but I don't think I've ever heard a "Christian rock" song which I thought was anything but utter shit. I was kind of hoping this thread would prove me wrong...
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »

Ugh, that's always fun. Nothing like hearing words like those coming out of the mouth of someone you want to/previously did respect.

However, he also said that no one should listen to him about politics since he's a musician and musicians don't know shit about the government. I think he'd say the same about science. It's refreshing to hear that, really.

Offline AgnosticBuddha

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
I reject western theism, but I love the hymn Amazing Grace. It's beautiful and the story of John Newton is interesting as well.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
I actually listen to a TON of "sacred" music. I'll listen to old hymns, chorales, African American gospel, Appalachian gospel, hindu sacred music, old recordings of Jewish cantors and other Jewish music, Islamic and Indian music, Gregorian Chants, classical religious music and other religiously based folk music.

I cannot stand however, Christian Rock or any other attempts at religious pop music. There is something too insincere  and mannered about it. I'll tune into the TBC channel occasionally and just be stunned at how bad the music is. The lyrics are even worse.
I think they are waaayyy too concerned with the message in the lyrics than the actual craft of lyric writing--and the music always seems like an afterthought. It all seems a part and parcel to the political/religious posture. Being a reactionary "culture warrior" always seems to be the motivation.

The sacred music I love has the message & music and performance working seamlessly together. The messages don't worry me.
There's no such thing as denial.