Author Topic: Good Christian Rock  (Read 2858 times)

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
Re: Good Christian Rock
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
If the music stands on its own, I don't care about its message (J.S. Bach, gospel music), but I don't think I've ever heard a "Christian rock" song which I thought was anything but utter shit. I was kind of hoping this thread would prove me wrong...

Abandon all Hope Ye Who Listen Here.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 05:28:14 AM »

Alice Cooper speaks about his religious faith and claims he believes that everything in the Bible is literally true. Which is impossible since it contradicts itself.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
I personally have enjoyed what little I've heard of Derek Webb's Christian rock:

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
I saw these guys live about a year ago.  They were amazing, but they are also super religious.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 01:13:22 AM »
One of the strangest Christian bands I know, and I really like their music: Soul-Junk. Started out as lo-fi experimental indie rock with bible lyrics, eventually moved to some kind of strange hip-hop. Here is one example of their early stuff:

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

He seems like a genuinely nice guy. And he's a fundamentalist without being a bigot. I suspect they are not uncommon, it's just that we only hear from the bigots.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
My brother has been telling me about this guy, Steve Taylor.  I don't remember him, but apparently he was a very counter-Christian culture Christian.  Or at least he wasn't afraid to point out internal errors and problems with the church.  This was apparently the song that put him at odds with the church at large (or at least a number of Christians):

(click to show/hide)

personate-rain
personate-rain