Author Topic: Who's you favorite? Steve, Jay, Bob, Even or Rebecca?  (Read 5457 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • View Profile
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Who's you favorite? Steve, Jay, Bob, Even or Rebecca?
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2012, 12:15:01 am »
I never heard that, but I'm sure you could find rude and off-color comments from a lot of other-wise fine people.  The question is, is it the exception or the rule.

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2012, 12:26:17 am »
Steve > Bob > Evan > Jay > Rebecca > Perry

I just noticed, but my favorite-to-least-favorite ordering pretty much matches the polite-to-rude ordering.  Maybe that's why I don't like Penn Jillette.

with the atheists would it be something like

Dennett > Barker > Dillahunty > Harris > Dawkins > Hitchens ?

Hitchens was different.  He didn't hide his feelings but he backed everything he ever said up quite well.  It never seemed rude to me; just honest.

From my understanding, Hitchens was the only one of the argumentative atheists who became friends with many of the people he debated with, which I am sure had more to do with his sense of humour, and his overall charisma than the power of his arguments (and I don't mean that in a negative way)

As for the OP - I like all the Rogues. I miss something when any of them is away.

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2012, 12:53:12 am »
Steve > Bob > Evan > Jay > Rebecca > Perry

I just noticed, but my favorite-to-least-favorite ordering pretty much matches the polite-to-rude ordering.  Maybe that's why I don't like Penn Jillette.

with the atheists would it be something like

Dennett > Barker > Dillahunty > Harris > Dawkins > Hitchens ?

My atheist list is more like:
Sagan > Barker > Dawkins > Hirsi Ali > Harris > Hitchens > Mr Deity > Pigliucci > FactVSReligion > ZOMGitsCriss > Infidelguy > Sam Singleton > somegreybloke > Evid3nc3 > Pat Condell > Dennett > Thunderf00t > PZ > Maher > Jillette > Amazing Atheist

I don't consider Dawkins a rude guy; not compared to Harris.  Maybe it's the posh English accent, but I think of him as being rather mild.  Hitchens could be forthright, but he was an equal-opportunity name caller.  When he harshly criticized things I believed, I didn't consider it to be malicious.  Dennett is polite, but I consider him wishy-washy and boring.  I think Ayaan Hirsi Ali had a much better claim to be one of the four horsemen, except that Dennett was a personal friend of Dawkins.

There are some folks like Bertrand Russell that seem like they deserve a spot on the list more than all those YouTubers, but I haven't read or heard enough of their material to say.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2012, 12:58:34 am »
Oh, no love for AronRa? JERK
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2012, 02:07:57 am »
Oh, no love for AronRa? JERK

I've heard of AronRa (mentioned by xxxThePeachxxx or someone), but I can't follow every YouTuber; there's not enough time in the day.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2012, 02:18:10 am »
I never heard that, but I'm sure you could find rude and off-color comments from a lot of other-wise fine people.  The question is, is it the exception or the rule.

not really important when the person (i.e., you) says "everything"  ;) dinna look too deeply, laddie. we're joos havin' a laff.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2012, 02:20:07 am »
Sagan > Barker > Dawkins > Hirsi Ali > Harris > Hitchens > Mr Deity > Pigliucci > FactVSReligion > ZOMGitsCriss > Infidelguy > Sam Singleton > somegreybloke > Evid3nc3 > Pat Condell > Dennett > Thunderf00t > PZ > Maher > Jillette > Amazing Atheist
There are some folks like Bertrand Russell that seem like they deserve a spot on the list more than all those YouTubers, but I haven't read or heard enough of their material to say.

I've only read two of Sagan's books (Pale and Demon). which was his book/talk/whatever about atheism?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2012, 02:29:28 am »

I've only read two of Sagan's books (Pale and Demon). which was his book/talk/whatever about atheism?

I've read all of Sagan's books, so of them several times.  He never "promoted" atheism in his writing, atheism was for him just a given, not something that needed to be vehemently defended.  I'm not sure he belongs on a list of atheism proponents.