Author Topic: Skeptic seal of approval self help books?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Skeptitron

• Brand New
Skeptic seal of approval self help books?
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »
I understand this is a category generally frowned upon, and for good reason, in our community but that being said I'd like to see some of your favorites in this category, particularly pertaining to sales, negotiating, self confidence.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Re: Skeptic seal of approval self help books?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
In on this, Ive always wondered if there is a nugget of gold in the pile of crap that is self-help books

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:43:47 AM »
Possibly useful if you are the last human on the planet, otherwise get what you want from a trained psychologist if you want to change an aspect of your personality.
The one-on-one contact is simply a better way to do things and humans learn better from other humans, it's what we evolved to do.
None are favourites, even though I know most (some) authors are well meaning, I'm yet to come across any empirical evidence that they work at all, let alone approaching what a trained professional can do.
IMHO trying to change an aspect of ones own personality without an independent judge (or judges) to give objective feedback is going to be ....challenging...to put it politely.
...and I'm sure there will be anecdotes of blah blah who did so well after reading blah. However I'd suggest blah blah might have done even better with a different approach involving independent experts in the field.
Although it might seem so empowering to be in control of changes in your life, the real subconscious you is always in control to a large extent and is given you the fake illusion of being in control. You (and me and everyone) is not overtly aware of this which is why you need that not-you objective opinion which can only come from others.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »
http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/books/59-seconds-think-a-little-change-a-lot/
59 Seconds exposes self-help myths, and presents scientifically proven techniques that help you achieve your aims and ambitions in less than a minute. From mood to memory, persuasion to procrastination, and resilience to relationships, 59 Seconds presents the new science of rapid change.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »
I have never been able to get through a self help book. I find them interesting at the beginning, and then I get really bored reading them. It's like they tend to tell me things that I already know, or stuff that I don't care about, or am not interesting to follow.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »
http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/books/59-seconds-think-a-little-change-a-lot/
59 Seconds exposes self-help myths, and presents scientifically proven techniques that help you achieve your aims and ambitions in less than a minute. From mood to memory, persuasion to procrastination, and resilience to relationships, 59 Seconds presents the new science of rapid change.

So this one Amazon comment on "59 Seconds" really lays it out and exposes what is wrong with "self-help"... http://www.amazon.com/review/R31YKFWGZAB04N/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0307273407&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=
The "Self Help Myth" is another disruptive attempt to have people allow government to run their lives, but you really have to read it to understand the "Myth of the Big Government Benefits".

It is another form of "Occupy Your Brain" so that you no longer haven the capacity to think for yourself.

It promotes raising taxes on the "Middle Class" so as to give a "Free Pass" to those that feel entitled. They can not raise taxes on the upper 5% since they have sent their monies out of the country.

General Electric (GE), one of the wealthiest companies in the world "Pays Little or No Taxes in the United States" since they service the rest of the world (95% of world population) from foreign based entities which are tax exempt from US Corporate Taxes.

Try taxing a "Chinese Company" and see what happens. By the way GE has a foreign presence in China and elsewhere that pays zero U.S. Corporate Taxes.

Anyway, the book promotes "The Myth of How Government Running Your Life Will Benefit You".

Read it once, twice, or even three times and look around if you have any doubts.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »
Someone I know put out a short book titled "Thinking Reasonably" that covers the basics of logical thinking.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

personate-rain