Author Topic: I understand that I can't 'post' without approval  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: I understand that I can't 'post' without approval
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
GodSlayer, in my opinion you crossed the line with "stupid cheap POS". Mainly with "stupid", to be honest.

For the clarification of those of us following along at home, I think Panda was actually the one who used the phrase "stupid cheap POS", not GS, about her mouse?

To which GS responded with the wordplay "aww, don't be so hard on yourself. you may have been cheap and stupid to buy a low quality mouse, but you're not piece of shit!"

Okay.
Calling a mouse a "stupid cheap POS" = okay.
Calling a member in good standing a "stupid cheap POS" = not okay.

Did that help?
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

first!

I knew Drewish reminded me of someone!
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
Okay.

Did that help?

Actually thats made me a lot more confused.

I was just pointing out for clarification that "stupid cheap POS" wasnt a direct quote from GS it was just a reference to the discussion, and I was checking that the posts in question were actually the ones that warranted the warning. But your responses now seems like you actually think GS said that?

Unless youve read something I havent, my reading of it is just that he said that buying a low quality mouse "may have been cheap and stupid", and he specifically said she wasnt a PoS.

Your original post made sense to me that it could be interpreted that he was saying she was stupid, which I didnt think was the intended message but thought it was reasonable that you might decide to take action over the ambiguity and the way people might interpret it... but he definitely didnt call anybody a PoS.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »
I know precisely what he said, how he said it, and the inference he was making.
I have been using "stupid cheap POS" as shorthand for "you may have been cheap and stupid to buy a low quality mouse, but you're not piece of shit!". I assumed that was obvious. I'm sorry that it wasn't.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »
GodSlayer, in my opinion you crossed the line with "stupid cheap POS". Mainly with "stupid", to be honest. Someone as close to being banned as you are should not be anywhere near the line.

sadly, I needed to use 'stupid' to fulfill the format that conveys the joke I was making. I think to leave it out would have only cast further doubt on whether or not I meant it (since it would seem like I was choosing to use only the words I agreed with).

I sadly do not believe that you are learning what you need to learn from these warnings, and it not part of my job description here to coach you.

was I at least reported by Panda for that post?
I mean...I get the impression that I can't afford to have fun here/make jokes/being social. but I had hoped I could at least do so with the people who I've interacted with for thousands of posts. so it would come as such a surprise that I would apologize for any offense caused since it wasn't my intention if it turned out that Panda herself had an issue with the post I made.
I didn't think even that was too risky.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
Okay.

the joke was the ambiguity of her perhaps calling herself these things, and me saying 'aww, there there, you aren't [punchline:] right about ONE of those three insults'. ...very hacky sitcom writing, amazing that anyone would take it as seriously as though I had said 'you're a stupid person for doing that'.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:43:30 PM by GodSlayer »
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
GodSlayer, in my opinion you crossed the line with "stupid cheap POS". Mainly with "stupid", to be honest. Someone as close to being banned as you are should not be anywhere near the line.

sadly, I needed to use 'stupid' to fulfill the format that conveys the joke I was making. I think to leave it out would have only cast further doubt on whether or not I meant it (since it would seem like I was choosing to use only the words I agreed with).
Maybe just dial it down a little and don't make these jokes at all?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »

social interaction without jokes is more like group therapy. 'omg congrats on your progress', 'aww, I'm sorry for your setback'. ...if it's not fun, why bother?

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »

social interaction without jokes is more like group therapy. 'omg congrats on your progress', 'aww, I'm sorry for your setback'. ...if it's not fun, why bother?
Apparently many people here, including some of the mods, consider some of your jokes/banter offensive. I was just trying to give some advice to help you survive here more easily. Also, I didn't mean to make no jokes at all, just not ones that might be considered offensive to other forum members. And if your "offensive radar" doesn't agree with that of the mods, better err on the safe side. But ultimately it is your decision how much risk you want to take and how far you want to push the boundaries around here.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »
Apparently many people here, including some of the mods, consider some of your jokes/banter offensive.

but if they're wrong... isn't a skeptic forum the kind of place that should doubt their gut-instinct and consider whether or not something is offensive?

why should potentially misguided sensibilities be treated like papal pronouncements rather than looked at critically? I know we should be talking about bigfoot or something else more relevant, but...in the spirit of skeptical values, it seems odd to be so hostile to the very thing skeptics are best known for.

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »
I've had Godslayer on ignore for quite some time.  The posting style is really annoying and the constant 'I'm going to argue no matter what' tone is just frankly annoying.  I decided to read some of his/her posts in this thread and it's obvious nothing has changed.

#non-belief denialist

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »
I've had Godslayer on ignore for quite some time.  The posting style is really annoying and the constant 'I'm going to argue no matter what' tone is just frankly annoying.  I decided to read some of his/her posts in this thread and it's obvious nothing has changed.

by contrast, I find 'here's my ideology, and that's the end of that' posts annoying.
sadly for people like me, there's no easy way to tell which those uninteresting people are before trying to learn anything by arguing with them.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:20 PM »
but if they're wrong... isn't a skeptic forum the kind of place that should doubt their gut-instinct and consider whether or not something is offensive?

Who decides whether a particular statement is offensive? I submit that it is the person who is being called a cunt who decides whether it is offensive or not. You can call someone a cunt, but you don't get to decide whether or not they are offended by it.

I hear this from people all the time - the ones who dispute Plait's Rule ("Don't be a dick") and feel they should be able to be as dickish as they want. They always want to decide that what they say is not offensive. Sorry, no. You can say whatever you want - I'm not disputing that. But you do not get to decide whether others get offended by what you say or not.

When I suggest that it's better and more effective to be polite, I get called a tone troll and accused of trying to censor peoples' free speech. Some people seem to demand the right to be as offensive as they please, and they then justify that by trying to claim that people should be offended by what they say. Who's censoring now? The one who says "please be polite" or the one who says "don't get offended when I call you a cunt"?

You're not the worst at this, by the way. The only forum I've done a drama-queen departure from is because one poster there was gratuitously offensive and defended his gratuitous offensiveness in a gratuitously offensive way. You're mild by comparison.

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
Apparently many people here, including some of the mods, consider some of your jokes/banter offensive.

why should potentially misguided sensibilities be treated like papal pronouncements rather than looked at critically? I know we should be talking about bigfoot or something else more relevant, but...in the spirit of skeptical values, it seems odd to be so hostile to the very thing skeptics are best known for.
Sorry, but I am not here to be skeptic about the societal rules of polite behavior and intelligent discussion. If you feel you are being censored for something substantial, for expressing certain opinions, I am all for starting a revolt against the mods, but if it is about the form of discussion, just accept that they are setting the tone. Personally, I feel that they are striking a pretty good balance between freedom of speech and enforcing somewhat civilized tone on this forum. If you want a free-for-all without any rules, there are enough other forums and YouTube threads to choose from.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
You're mild by comparison.

I'm extremely offended by this belittling of my malevolence.

await your official mod warning, good sir!!