Author Topic: Must-read Sci-fi?  (Read 11055 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Must-read Sci-fi?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
Stanislaw Lem - great, funny, imaginative, smart, and totally unique.  More Borges than Heinlein. 
And he coined the term Robot
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline bozothedeathmachine

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
Stanislaw Lem - great, funny, imaginative, smart, and totally unique.  More Borges than Heinlein. 

No he didn't. That was Karel Čapek in "R.U.R" ("Rossum's Universal Robot"). "Roboti" is a not-so-nice Czech word for "worker". Not quite a strong as slave, but in that direction.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:42:56 AM by bozothedeathmachine »

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »

No he didn't. That was Karel Čapek in "R.U.R" ("Rossum's Universal Robot"). "Roboti" is a not-so-nice Czech word for "worker". Not quite a strong as slave, but in that direction.
:fry: PANTS just got told. ;D
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Demosthenes

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »
I’m a huge fan of the Ender series (hence my handle).
Speaker for the dead is a very different story to Enders Game and arguably a better book.

Also The Dispossessed, A Canticle for Leibowitz, Ringworld, The Handmaid's Tale

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:08 AM »
I have the first Ender's Game book but I have a lot of difficulty trying to finish it not because it's bad or anything but because knowing I gave money to Card makes me feel so uncomfortable reading it.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »
Riverworld is fun.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
The conclusion of Ender's Game got to me the first time I read it.

I sat down with this the other day for a while at Barnes and Noble, Future Lovecraft: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/future-lovecraft-silvia-moreno-garcia/1107839347

I enjoyed it. It made me have a weird dream where I was watching Conan The Barbarian only it was H.P Lovecraft sitting on a table when they asked "what is best in life?". He said "to show your enemies the madness of the cosmos, see them driven insane before you, and hear the ululations of their women".

Yea I need to lay off whatever it is I'm taking too much of.

Offline Demosthenes

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 07:09:43 AM »
I have the first Ender's Game book but I have a lot of difficulty trying to finish it not because it's bad or anything but because knowing I gave money to Card makes me feel so uncomfortable reading it.
It really is one of those ignorance is bliss situations.
Knowing about his rampant homophobia did taint my view of his writing a touch.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
Riverworld is fun.

It is fun, if you stop early enough.  Eventually it runs into the problem of a lot of free-wheeling series, it can't quite land the premise.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »

It really is one of those ignorance is bliss situations.
Knowing about his rampant homophobia did taint my view of his writing a touch.
Didn't Ender's Game take place in a future where Christianity was illegal too?

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »
I'm glad I read "Ender's Game" before knowing anything about the author. Otherwise, I might not have bothered.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
Harlan Ellison is one of my favorites. I recommend starting with the collection I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Besides his short story collections, he's well know for writing many classic episodes of Sci-Fi television episodes.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »
I enjoyed it. It made me have a weird dream where I was watching Conan The Barbarian only it was H.P Lovecraft sitting on a table when they asked "what is best in life?". He said "to show your enemies the madness of the cosmos, see them driven insane before you, and hear the ululations of their women".
:D No, no I think you need more of whatever you're on.

I'm glad I read "Ender's Game" before knowing anything about the author. Otherwise, I might not have bothered.
Same here. His various -isms aren't as prevalent in the two Ender's series books I read, but they're super obvious in his Alvin Maker series. I could even get half-way through the first Maker book. Seriously, the lead female's driving motivation is to marry a teenager she hardly knows. Because she's psychic or something and can see it in the future.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
The Ships of Earth series are even worse in that regard, being essentially a retelling of the book of Mormon.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »
I just finished all the available books in 'The Expanse' by James S.A. Corey (made up name for two guys who write the series).

Leviathan Wakes was absolutely amazing, an atmospheric, futuristic, creepy thrilling, detective story. Seriously, I had to stop reading it a few times, especially at night as it gave me the creeps, a truly visceral reaction.

The second book, Calaban's War, was almost as good.

Then the books sort of fades a bit, and the last one, Cibola Burns, is mediocre at best. They do have a few more books planned, I hope they manage to come up with something a wee bit better.

I think the popularity of the first two books may have forced them to write a bit too quickly for the publishers.

personate-rain
personate-rain