Author Topic: The personal / explicit forum split  (Read 3708 times)

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
The personal / explicit forum split
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
I noticed there really aren't many active threads in either section.  I am not sure if this is good or bad.  Are people happy, upset, indifferent to the changes?
Though I do have a question for Beleth.  Isn't the Explicit Classic section sort of a violation of the whole auto-deletion concept?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: The personal / explicit forum split
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »
I reckon we're doing just fine, at least in Personal.  Can't speak for the other one as I opted out as quickly as I opted in.  :P
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
I reckon we're doing just fine, at least in Personal.  Can't speak for the other one as I opted out as quickly as I opted in.  :P

Same.

Except I never opted in :)

Offline Shadow Of A Doubt

• Well Established
  • Talk to the whiskers
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »

Same.
"What, are you also proposing some magical colour midway between black and white?  Shall we call it "whack", maybe, or "blite"?  Nice imagination there, buddy."
amysrevenge

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »
It's all good in the 'hood, superdave.  It seems to me that the "delete after five days of inactivity" rule is being followed more stringently than before the split, so it might seem like less of a hoppin' joint.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
The Explicit section has it's good points.  Karyn and Louie being the two best; and it's bad points: FX.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
I've kinda just given up on it. not enough activity now that basically no one goes there.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
Honestly, I find that 98% of the posts in the new bootyghetto are by people I have on ignore, so there isn't much of a point for me to go there.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
Honestly, I find that 98% of the posts in the new bootyghetto are by people I have on ignore, so there isn't much of a point for me to go there.
", and, well, I kind of wanted Explicit separate from Personal in large part exactly because I (and, hopefully, female skeptics who might otherwise be annoyed or threatened by the boob pix) could ignore the former.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline David E.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
Funny, I have not seen a in rush of female skeptics yet.  Just one crazy woman who left.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
HEY.  I'm still opted in.  And I'm not that crazy.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »
Funny, I have not seen a in rush of female skeptics yet.  Just one crazy woman who left.
I don't think that was ever a realistic expectation. I think that anyone who in the past said to themselves that they wanted to enjoy the community but couldn't stomach the bewbs isn't going to come back due to the new policy. However, the idea is that now that that particular roadblock is gone maybe we won't see people leaving so much anymore. Or maybe it'll do nothing; either way IMO it was the right thing to do.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline David E.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
HEY.  I'm still opted in.  And I'm not that crazy.

My dear, you (in this case) do not count.  You were already here.  You also can differentiate intellectual discussion and adult oriented fun. 

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
I'm completely fine with the split and I think it's working out great. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
I noticed there really aren't many active threads in either section.  I am not sure if this is good or bad.  Are people happy, upset, indifferent to the changes?
Though I do have a question for Beleth.  Isn't the Explicit Classic section sort of a violation of the whole auto-deletion concept?

There have never been that many active threads in them. It was rare to have more than one menu page's worth of active threads in the old setup, and we're still pretty much on track for that.
Explicit Classic is kind of a violation, but there were certain threads that, for whatever reason, deserved a fate better than deletion, or were in Explicit before the expiration rule was enacted, so they were posted with the expectation that they'd be as permanent as the non-Explicit posts.

Funny, I have not seen a in rush of female skeptics yet.

I wasn't really expecting an inrush of female skeptics. Damage to a reputation takes time to heal, even if the damage is unjustified.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain