Poll

Will the SGU still be around for a 20 year anniversary?

Yes, in its current form with the current four rogues.
0 (0%)
Yes, with the current rogues but with at least one new rogue as well.
5 (25%)
Yes, but without at least one current rogue, no new rogues..
0 (0%)
Yes, but without at least one current rogue, and at least one new rogue.
11 (55%)
No.
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Will the SGU still be around for a 20 year anniversary?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Mr Scumbag

• Off to a Start
Re: Will the SGU still be around for a 20 year anniversary?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 11:08:55 PM »
A podcast of Theseus.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
On that timescale I think it's possible but unlikely that podcasts as a thing will die off.  One scenario I could see happening, however, is that the show evolves into something bigger—a  professionally-produced radio show, perhaps, or a TV show—which is then dropped.  They might find it hard to go back to being "just a podcast" in that situation.

All in all, though, I would guess it's more likely they'll be around another ten years than not.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
As I missed the early part of the live streaming show, the latest podcast was informative.

Jay: "Let's all commit to making this podcast for five more years!"
Steve: "Jay, I'm into this indefinitely."

(Not exact quotes, but from my fallible memory.)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
On that timescale I think it's possible but unlikely that podcasts as a thing will die off.  One scenario I could see happening, however, is that the show evolves into something bigger—a  professionally-produced radio show, perhaps, or a TV show—which is then dropped.  They might find it hard to go back to being "just a podcast" in that situation.

All in all, though, I would guess it's more likely they'll be around another ten years than not.

Hmm, maybe they will evolve to a membership organization, though centered around the podcast? The seed is there!
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
I'm sure that they want to keep it around in one form or another and as the only Rogue to have left so far was the only Rogue with significant outside projects and the only one who joined after it started, I'm fairly certain that barring life-changes the 3 guys will not just leave.  I think the real question is whether or not it will still be a podcast or will it move onto another form of show.  Will podcasts even be around in 10 years even?  For all we know they may evolve into something better.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »
Will podcasts even be around in 10 years even?  For all we know they may evolve into something better.

Possibly. After all the predecessor of the SGU was a newsletter written by Steve for the NESS. SGU was originally associated with the NESS, but from what I understand it is now its own thing.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »
I think it will be like a restored car. All new parts, built on the original frame, but still running.

personate-rain