Author Topic: Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)  (Read 61506 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)
« Reply #1110 on: March 21, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
I don't feel stupid, but I am relieved though. No Fugazi! (sorry Jeremy's Sea)
lol I did think it was odd about the drummer thing though as it isn't true about the only photo being of the singer, but...
They had a cool DIY business model that was all about trying to keep show admissions at $5 to not price gouge fans. I figured maybe there was some deep dive crazy stuff I had never heard about in the band. Guess not.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #1111 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »
I TOTALLY DIDN'T FALL FOR THAT PRANK AT ALL NOPE UH UH NOT ME ME 2 SMART
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1112 on: October 02, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
Anybody follow the "Opening Arguments" podcast?
OA107:  Adnan Syed Obviously Did It (Also: You Can Learn About Patents!)   1:26:25   9/25/17   

Today's super-sized show -- at long last! --  discusses season 1 of the Serial podcast.  Even if you haven't heard Serial, we think you'll enjoy this application of the principles of reasonable doubt.

http://openargs.libsyn.com
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #1113 on: October 03, 2017, 12:09:15 AM »
OA107:  Adnan Syed Obviously Did It (Also: You Can Learn About Patents!)   1:26:25   9/25/17   

Today's super-sized show -- at long last! --  discusses season 1 of the Serial podcast.  Even if you haven't heard Serial, we think you'll enjoy this application of the principles of reasonable doubt.

With such an inflammatory title, please summarize!!!
I probably won't get to listen to it for a bit.  ;D

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1114 on: October 03, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
It's a bit hard to summarize OA's argument but mostly it amounts to "he's right to get a new trial because of bad lawyering but he's either the most unlucky human alive or all those unlucky things that make him seem like a murderer are actually because he is a murderer." Examples of "bad luck" are he just happened to loan his car and cell phone to Jay the day she was murdered. And he just happened to ask her for a ride the day she was murdered because he loaned his car.

Andrew Torrez made some valid points like Adnan had a note from his ex on which he wrote "will kill her" and of all her friends he's the only one that didn't call her when everyone thought she was missing. You don't call someone you know is actually dead because you killed her. Who is more likely to be the murder? The ex BF that has proclaimed he's going to kill his ex GF, or some random drive by serial killer?

I might not have summarized the points accurately. Give it a listen. In all things, he reminds us the podcast basically presents the defense's POV. It doesn't present a vigorous prosecution case. Remember, most documentaries have a slant and work hard to present only their slant. How many people watch something like Vaxxed and come away with going "oh yeah, a good balanced view of vaccines."

I will say, however, I don't necessarily agree with Torrez's take.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #1115 on: October 03, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
Ahhh thanks.
I was definitely in the "he did it" camp for a long time too because I also felt that he had to be the unluckiest person alive to fall into all of the coincidences that stacked up against him. I also found the idea of motive to be fairly irrelevant as well. Some guy just shot up Las Vegas and by all accounts he was a quiet person with zero history of criminal activity and he murdered 59 people, not just one.

However, the story behind Jay's testimony swayed me quite a bit. I now don't know what to think.

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1116 on: October 03, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »

Today's super-sized show -- at long last! --  discusses season 1 of the Serial podcast.  Even if you haven't heard Serial, we think you'll enjoy this application of the principles of reasonable doubt.

With such an inflammatory title, please summarize!!!
I probably won't get to listen to it for a bit.  ;D

Adnan did it.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #1117 on: October 04, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
I may be speaking with Andrew on this topic on the show sometime in the near future.  Lots of twitter hate coming their way so it may be a patron only show.  I disagree with two of his arguments.  I’m fully open to him convincing me the other way, but I think discussion on this got really messed up with all the twitter nonsense directed their way. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1118 on: October 05, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
I may be speaking with Andrew on this topic on the show sometime in the near future.  Lots of twitter hate coming their way so it may be a patron only show.  I disagree with two of his arguments.  I’m fully open to him convincing me the other way, but I think discussion on this got really messed up with all the twitter nonsense directed their way.

I was surprised at how much hate they got. Or at least reported. They offer very balanced, well thought out opinions. I may not agree but I don't subscribe malice or racism to their conclusions.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1119 on: October 07, 2017, 03:42:48 AM »

I haven't listened to that ep. yet, but I said "AHHHHH I KNOW THAT GUY" when I heard your name in the patrons listed in a recent episode.

I would love to hear y'all debate your points, and I'm happy that lawyer guy apparently also agrees with some of the ideas I put forth many pages back.  ;)
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #1120 on: October 07, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »
The thing that he said which has me worried and wanting to know more about his thinking was when he said something to the effect that I needed to come up with an alternative theory to explain the facts OTHER than that Adnan did it.

I don't understand this reasoning.  Lets say that X is accused of killing Y and we have strong and indisputable evidence that Y was killed at 12:00pm on October 27th.  There are numerous pieces of evidence pointing to X doing it. Multiple eyewitnesses, fingerprints, etc.

If the defense shows video and testimonial evidence that X was in jail at 12:00pm on October 27th, I really don't need to explain all the rest.  It would be impossible for X to have committed the crime and I would be forced to vote not guilty WITHOUT explaining all the other evidence. 

That's the piece that I want to talk to him about.  Also, I'm not certain he has all of the additional information and facts that Undisclosed talked about.

Either way, I have a TON of respect for him and Thomas for doing a great legal show.  Either way, Thomas has gotten a ton of shit over the last couple of weeks because he confronted Carl Benjamin at Mythicist Milwaukee.  That was a shit show.
#non-belief denialist

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1121 on: October 07, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
The thing that he said which has me worried and wanting to know more about his thinking was when he said something to the effect that I needed to come up with an alternative theory to explain the facts OTHER than that Adnan did it.

I don't understand this reasoning.  Lets say that X is accused of killing Y and we have strong and indisputable evidence that Y was killed at 12:00pm on October 27th.  There are numerous pieces of evidence pointing to X doing it. Multiple eyewitnesses, fingerprints, etc.

If the defense shows video and testimonial evidence that X was in jail at 12:00pm on October 27th, I really don't need to explain all the rest.  It would be impossible for X to have committed the crime and I would be forced to vote not guilty WITHOUT explaining all the other evidence. 

That's the piece that I want to talk to him about.  Also, I'm not certain he has all of the additional information and facts that Undisclosed talked about.

Either way, I have a TON of respect for him and Thomas for doing a great legal show.  Either way, Thomas has gotten a ton of shit over the last couple of weeks because he confronted Carl Benjamin at Mythicist Milwaukee.  That was a shit show.

But I don't think that there is any such slam-dunk dispositive evidence.  The state's case consists of dozens of pieces of circumstantial evidence and the testimony of a man to whom Adnan confessed and who helped bury the body.  It's a strong case, and poking at the edges of it isn't going to cut it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #1122 on: October 08, 2017, 08:40:26 AM »
Lat, that's not what I was saying.  As I said I was attacking his assertion that one needed to come up with an alternative explanation in general to the prosecution's theory which explains all the evidence.  I disagree.  I do not need to explain away all the facts provided I'm just not convinced by the evidence or there is one key piece that has a compelling alternative explanation.

We're talking in general here, not specifics.  If we want to talk specifics for the Adnan Syed case, I think there is sufficient question about the police interpretation of the facts that make the interpretation questionable.

ETA:  He later clarified that we're talking specifically about the meaning of 'reasonable doubt' and that in the law this term isn't well defined.  He said that since it's not well defined, he and I could definitely have different standards for what 'reasonable doubt' meant.  I agreed with that.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:48:04 AM by Belgarath »
#non-belief denialist

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1123 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »
But I don't think that there is any such slam-dunk dispositive evidence.  The state's case consists of dozens of pieces of circumstantial evidence and the testimony of a man to whom Adnan confessed and who helped bury the body.  It's a strong case, and poking at the edges of it isn't going to cut it.

The story by Jay on how the body was buried is specifically contradicted by the evidence as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain