Author Topic: Agents of Shield TV Show  (Read 6672 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Agents of Shield TV Show
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:10:33 AM »
Holy cow! This show has gotten great!! Just watched season 2 episode 9.
Everything is firing on all cylinders and theres not a single character Im not fully engaged with. They all seem to have their own little mysteries or conflicts.
I cant wait until the Marvel cinema project is finished and can be viewed in its entirety.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
Re: Agents of Shield TV Show
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
I'm just going to come out and say it...

(click to show/hide)

There, I feel better, however,...

(click to show/hide)
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
In case others didn't pick up on the big reveals of this episode (I didn't until I read a review):

(click to show/hide)

Needless to say, if this season's trajectory wasn't already enough reason to trust the team behind it and forget about the boring first season, these revelations clearly are.  It almost seems as if the show is going to have yet another drastic change in tone and direction.  I'm psyched!

Online Harry Black

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
Cant be bothered with spoiler brackets so all I can say about the end of the last episode is whyyyyy?
Why ya gotta be Game of Thrones/walking dead?
So good though.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:05:45 AM »
I was just thinking today: This show really sucked at the start, but people wanted it to be good and it took alot of flak. So do you think the internet whining is a part of what made the show better? Everyone is very dismissive of what fans post online, saying its pointless to try and make fanboys happy etc but I feel like fan reaction has got to factor in somewhere to their future efforts?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »
In this case, I don't think so.  I mean, maybe a little bit; who knows, but it seems pretty clear that the shake up after Winter Soldier was planned from the very start as was the aforementioned revelations.  It seems hard to fathom that everything post Winter Soldier could have possibly been as boring as the preceding episodes, and far too easy to imagine that the pre Winter Soldier episodes were more of a chore that they had to get through to reach the stuff that really excited them about this project in the first place.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Well I get that plot wise but even just stuff like the choreography, the dialogue, the tone and the fact that they just said screw it and started using guns more...tonally it feels very different.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Well I get that plot wise but even just stuff like the choreography, the dialogue, the tone and the fact that they just said screw it and started using guns more...tonally it feels very different.

I chalk it up to growing pains and the unrealistic expectations of the masses. It's an enjoyable show and I'm looking forward to Agent Carter as well.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »
Maybe some of it was that the show probably would have been better if it started later, so there would have been fewer pre-Winter Soldier episodes - but they were handcuffed with the timing and had to put it out there when they had a launch window even if it was sub-optimal.  Sort of stretched it out in to two or three times as many early episodes as it should have been.  Maybe the release date of WS got pushed out, after the schedule for the TV show was set?

Anyway, I had a huge glare on my monitor and the last scene was very darkly lit.  There were three characters in the room at the end, and I only saw what happened to two of them.  Did they not show the third, or did I just miss it in the lighting?

(click to show/hide)
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »
Maybe some of it was that the show probably would have been better if it started later, so there would have been fewer pre-Winter Soldier episodes - but they were handcuffed with the timing and had to put it out there when they had a launch window even if it was sub-optimal.  Sort of stretched it out in to two or three times as many early episodes as it should have been.  Maybe the release date of WS got pushed out, after the schedule for the TV show was set?

Anyway, I had a huge glare on my monitor and the last scene was very darkly lit.  There were three characters in the room at the end, and I only saw what happened to two of them.  Did they not show the third, or did I just miss it in the lighting?

(click to show/hide)

I did see the shell crack and Raina's eye was under it, but it didn't show the rest of her. Which means it could be a big reveal in March.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 04:29:10 AM »
Loved the last episode!

After the carbon shell fell off of...

(click to show/hide)

One problem I had -- unless it was explained and I missed it -- is how Tripp...
(click to show/hide)
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 04:36:40 AM »
Whedon shows have a tendency of starting slow and gaining momentum later on, which is why I have been reluctant to even consider giving up on them early.
And experience has taught me that the slow-starting shows are often much more worth it than the Starting-with-a-wow-and-a-bang-shows that then just tend to peter out.
It's bad luck to be superstitious. ~ Anon ~

Forget Jesus. STARS died so that you could be here today. ~ Lawrence Krauss ~

Online Harry Black

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 05:24:52 AM »
Whedon does start slow, but my point was less about the story and more about the awful production values and dialogue early on. They made really bad decisions like having terrible fist fights instead of using guns and even in the context of all the reveals, early Skye was a pain in the ass.
So how did they know it wasnt working? Did they watch each episode and decide in a vacuum to change the style (not being sarcastic,some creative processes are notorious for isolating themselves from fans) or did they factor in what people were saying and strive to make something better?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 05:53:09 PM »
IDK.  I can sorta see it both ways.  I think they were just much less inspired about the pre Winter Soldier stuff and maybe couldn't make it work as well because of it.  I also understand that they knew the show pre Winter Soldier was not well received and probably learned from it.  Who knows which was the greater influence.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »
So I have to say that this show has quickly turned into a favorite for me.  Prior to the midseason return, I decided to rewatch it from the beginning to reorient myself with all the plot twists and turns and I don't know if it was just the reduced expectations or the nature of bingeing vs watching week-to-week, but season 1 was a lot more palatable to me the second time around.  It wasn't amazing, but I wasn't anywhere near as critical of it as I was the first time and even enjoyed it. 

Anyhoo, I love the quick progression that the story has taken since the midseason premiere.  It's like the entire premise of the show is being upended every other week and yet I love it all the more as they really justify it.  It seems impossible to even imagine where the show will be by the end of the season, not to mention in a season or two.  Really, really good stuff.

personate-rain