Author Topic: Agents of Shield TV Show  (Read 6490 times)

Offline lofgren

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Agents of Shield TV Show
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
I noticed that just after Sky
(click to show/hide)
she held a folder named

(click to show/hide)

Isn't it likely that "Caterpillars" are people with the potential to be transformed into Inhumans? Y'know, like caterpillars do.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »
They are.  It's been confirmed.  I'm guessing this will be a big part of the set up for Civil War given that the numbers of super-people are pretty small in the MCU at the moment to make for much of a "war."

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 04:27:56 AM »
So, when it first came out I got maybe two minutes into the pilot before writing it off as aggressively paint-by-numbers, but hearing it turned.around, amd seeing it on Netflix, I just marathoned S2 and got sold on livewatching S3. 

And the end montage of 'bioaccumulation out of nowhere!' was absolutely hilarious.  I don't think I've ever seen that used as a menacing.plot device before, either.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 01:29:13 AM »
This show is abject, bubblegummy fluff... and it's fucking fantastic. Just goes to show, entertainment doesn't have to be high quality literary-style to be thoroughly enjoyable (that might seem obvious, but I was beginning to think I couldn't enjoy TV unless it fell into that category).

Have to say, though, season one was very touch and go, and we almost dropped it. Glad we persisted, and having steamed through both seasons, looking forward to the next.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 01:18:13 AM »
I love this show but I laughed out loud in last weeks episode (Ep.2) when they "Carbon Dated" some sand as being 1 billion years older than the earth. (it was alien sand)

So that would make it 5.5 Billion years old. That's "only" About 100,000 times older than real science can carbon date (reliable to 50,000, useless over 100,000 years), not to mention you need organic material present.

I guess the writer's science adviser was out to lunch when that bit got written  ;)

Of course a scientist would have told them to say they radiometrically dated it to 5.5 Billion years.

It is a science fiction TV show, but you would hope they would get basic science right.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 05:18:01 AM »
I rolled my eyes at that one, swallowed my brain, and carried on.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline lofgren

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »
I'm one of those guys who says to just let the science pass on the majority of sci Fi. I see good science as a definite bonus for good science fiction, but not strictly necessary.

But even I choked on my eggs when I heard that one.

Like Steve says when they do movie reviews, you have to at least get the stuff right enough that it's wrongness isn't distracting to the average viewer. I suppose I know a little bit more than the average person about how carbon dating works, but probably not more than the average Shield viewer (on the possibly unfounded assumption that Shield viewers skew nerdy).

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »
After considerable thought I believe that it wasn't a mistake in the writing. Bobbi's error was intentionally written that way. Bobbi is not a lab rat by any stretch and wrongly called the dating method carbon dating because she didn't understand what Fitz told her off camera. He angrily cut her off not just out of impatience, but because he felt that same rush of "Oh FFS" we felt.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline lofgren

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
If that's the case I would say the actors missed their mark a bit.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
I suppose it could be explained by action girl not understanding the intricacies of something outside her fields of expertise.

I wish Fitz had got uber nerdy, "well actually, ...."

I picture Fitz and Simmons on some future date, after Simmons gets her mojo back, having a good laugh about that story.  ;)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
I bet if they had a science adviser who said something like, actually carbon dating.... The writers and or producers said, sure but nobody has heard of anything but carbon dating, go with carbon dating. 

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 12:25:18 AM »
If that's the case I would say the actors missed their mark a bit.

Or the editors. Agreed that it didn't land the way I think it was intended, regardless.

I bet if they had a science adviser who said something like, actually carbon dating.... The writers and or producers said, sure but nobody has heard of anything but carbon dating, go with carbon dating. 

I thought the same at first. I like the other headcanon better, is all.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:06 AM »
Why not just say "we've dated the sand to...?"  I mean, with all the other unbelievable tech they have on this show, why not have some unexplained magical dating tech that can tell the age of alien sand?  Just call them Heisenberg Compensators and move on.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
I'm stll just gonna go with headcanon on this. I watched the scene again, but the way. The moment does fall completely flat the way it's cut together. It's either a stupid mistake or an attempt at character building, but it's botched either way.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 02:02:38 PM »
Caught up on the Season 3 finale last night. Wow....that was really good TV.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

personate-rain