Author Topic: RPGs: Tell me about yours  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Re: RPGs: Tell me about yours
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »
That sounds badass.
Our group recently found an underground cavern with what seems to be a sun and a sky. I seem to be the only one who is really really curious about that.

Oooo, sounds interesting to me, so many possibilities!

An illusion spell?
A "shallowing" between dimensions?

I wonder.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44:03 AM »
I recall when they came out with AD&D, Gygax was very much against people using home brewed stuff. "You're either playing AD&D or something else" was the line. It's was slightly, slightly cult like. People mostly ignored Gygax and brewed up their own rules. I think the most requested character class to become official was the anti-paladin. Dragon magazine one time ran a anti-paladin character class although to stay "legal" they always had to refer to new character classes as "non player character" classes.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »
I just thought classes like fighter/rouge/paladin could use more ability to optimise. I also came up with mechanical rules that made things run smoother than the original rules.

Plus I added a bunch of homebrew classes that werent in the original, now my players can be a fantasy equivalent of a steampunk ironman if they want, a master of disease and viruses, Groot, a Summoner, alchemist etc.

If the players are happy and having fun, then I am happy and having fun. So homebrewed stuff, as long as it makes sense, is fairly welcome at my table.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:23:47 AM by Gerbig »

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »
I recall when they came out with AD&D, Gygax was very much against people using home brewed stuff. "You're either playing AD&D or something else" was the line. It's was slightly, slightly cult like.0

This sort of "rules lawyering" is a problem I have with my current group.

Well, one of my current groups, I also play with my old group from University over email, and that is going great (we are split up over 3 times zones up to 6 hours apart, so email works better than Skype). 

I my real-life group, some of the players are not only minimaxers when it comes to character creation, but they criticize the 5th edition system because it encourages DM judgement calls and home-brewing.

For example, one player wanted to find out "what acid does" in 5th edition.  When he looked up acid in the PH, all it mentioned was acid as a damage type and that some creatures might be resistant or vulnerable to it.  He interpreted this to mean the in 5th edition D&D, acid can not ever do extra damage or eat through wood or metal or anything that common sense (or fantasy sense) tells you that acid can do.  I don't even know how to respond to that sort of ridged-mindedness when it comes to rules interpretation.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
I recall when they came out with AD&D, Gygax was very much against people using home brewed stuff. "You're either playing AD&D or something else" was the line. It's was slightly, slightly cult like.0

This sort of "rules lawyering" is a problem I have with my current group.

Well, one of my current groups, I also play with my old group from University over email, and that is going great (we are split up over 3 times zones up to 6 hours apart, so email works better than Skype). 

I my real-life group, some of the players are not only minimaxers when it comes to character creation, but they criticize the 5th edition system because it encourages DM judgement calls and home-brewing.

For example, one player wanted to find out "what acid does" in 5th edition.  When he looked up acid in the PH, all it mentioned was acid as a damage type and that some creatures might be resistant or vulnerable to it.  He interpreted this to mean the in 5th edition D&D, acid can not ever do extra damage or eat through wood or metal or anything that common sense (or fantasy sense) tells you that acid can do.  I don't even know how to respond to that sort of ridged-mindedness when it comes to rules interpretation.

I find that the different ways you can play RPGs almost make up for entirely distinct games, even within the same ruleset.

It can be very fun, challenging, and rewarding to treat the D&D (for example) ruleset in terms of a mathematical optimization problem.  Many times I've played games (especially at conventions) for 30+ hours over a weekend, and barely ever put the dice down.

It can also be very fun, challenging, and rewarding to treat the D&D ruleset as a very loose framework around a collaborative storytelling exercise.  Many times I've played games (especially back in college) for 30+ hours over a weekend, and barely ever picked up the dice.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
We only have a couple of problems from my perspective in our group (we are lucky to have 3 awesome GMs who stretch the story over various arcs)
1- Because its skype, people get talked over alot. Usually by my ex flatmate who suddenly decides to cast a longwinded spell or ask a needlessly complicated question in the middle of someones turn or the GMs exposition.
2- The spells of create pit and cast grease are very popular (and over powered) but they ruin the tension of a dramatic encounter when the big bad spemds three turns trying to crawl out of a hole. I know the GMs feel very annoyed at their hard work to build a challenge amounting to a benny hill sketch.
3- One player very much likes to negate others and is never very flexible on plans he didnt come up with. Having character deaths because of that is very annoying.

But all in all its a brilliant group!

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
My wife is the RPG fan in our family. She's been an RPG cartographer for many years. http://ghmaps.net/
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
So who's played 5e D&D? I got my DMG yesterday - now I have all the core books. I've already taken a group through Lost Mine of Phandelver and I've started them on the Tyranny of Dragons.

I'm a fan. I'll be playing this edition for a long time.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »
So who's played 5e D&D? I got my DMG yesterday - now I have all the core books. I've already taken a group through Lost Mine of Phandelver and I've started them on the Tyranny of Dragons.

So, I haven't read a bit about the new edition.

How is it? What has improved from previous editions?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »

I am trying to get my old 4e group back in the saddle.  And some of my 2e buds are gonna give it a whirl.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
So, I haven't read a bit about the new edition.

How is it? What has improved from previous editions?

There are a number of changes to previous editions - whether you would call them improvements depends on your outlook. :)

It's much more similar to 3.x than it is to 4e. For a start, grid and miniatures are optional again (yay!).

There's this concept called "bounded accuracy". The intent is to rein in the massively escalating die roll bonuses that were a problem in 3.x. In the old systems I could easily have had a high-level character rolling a d20+412 for something, which makes the actual die result rather pointless. That doesn't happen in the new edition. The highest roll you can make for a skill check is +11, and that is if you are 20th level and have a score of 20 in your stat.

Speaking of stats, all checks are now stat checks. There are no skill ranks - instead you have Proficiency in certain skills or tools, given by your class and background. This gives you a bonus which goes up slowly as you level up - +2 at low levels up to +6 at 17th level and above. You add your proficiency bonus and your stat bonus to any roll that uses a skill or tool that you are proficient with. All saving throws are stat checks. Yes, there are circumstances where you need to roll a Cha save. Each class gives you proficiency in two saves - a major save (Dex, Con, Wis) and a minor save (Str, Int, Cha). You add your proficiency bonus to those saves.

There are no prestige classes - every class has certain archetypes which you generally pick at 2nd or 3rd level. Cleric Domains and Wizard Schools are the exception and are picked at creation. Each archetype gives you certain abilities, spells or characteristics that improve as you go up levels. Class archetypes replace the old prestige classes - Arcane Trickster is one archetype for the Rogue class, for example. When your Rogue reaches 3rd level, they get to choose between Thief, Assassin or Arcane Trickster.

Another thing that was a problem for earlier editions was bonuses or penalties to your rolls. Make a roll - you have a +3 divine bonus and a +2 circumstance bonus, -4 for cover, -1 for lighting, and he's prone so you get a +5... what were we rolling again? In 5e, you can have Advantage or Disadvantage on a roll. When you have Advantage, you roll twice and take the higher roll. With Disadvantage you roll twice and take the lower roll. That's it.

Alignment is back to the two-axis version - Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic versus Good/Neutral/Evil, which brings the nine-point system back. However, there are absolutely no game mechanics at all that depend on alignment. There are no alignment restrictions on class (Paladins are no longer required to be Lawful Stupid), and no spells based on alignment (The spell Detect Good and Evil detects celestials, fae, aberrations, undead and fiends rather than detecting specific alignments). Alignment is merely a roleplaying trait, as it should be.

There are quite a few more differences that I'll probably think of later. In terms of playability, this is the easiest complex RPG system I've played. There is very little interrupting the game to play hunt the rule. It's easy to run and easy to adjudicate. My players have done some really epic things that the ruleset supported rather than hindered. The rules don't get in the way of anything. It's amazingly fun.

tl;dr

It's good. The rules are streamlined and easy to learn. Playing is swift and simple, and the rules function as a prop for the players' imaginations rather than hindering them, which is the way it should be.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
Im new to these games and Im trying to play as characters who dont use overt magic (Charms to raise stats and healing spells are as far as I like to go)
But it seems like the Pathfinder rules at least skew heavily in favour of magic users and alchemists in terms of bonuses they can get. Like all I really want is a dex boost but it was a nightmare! All the weapon special abilities are like "+2 against red orks every second tuesday" while my mate gets to roll once a day to see if his character happened to bring an item that would solve the current problem.
Its a bit depressing.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »
Discovering how the rules can be best utilized is simultaneously the best and the worst.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
I've kind of been wanting to get some kind of remote RPG group going but as of now, I gots nothing... cool to hear about all your guys' stories though.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
I've kind of been wanting to get some kind of remote RPG group going but as of now, I gots nothing... cool to hear about all your guys' stories though.
You should join mine!

personate-rain
personate-rain