Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 186713 times)

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3030 on: June 29, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »
So the tour of France is starting soon. Any ideas how this year will go?
We'll be bored to death by Ineos?

The loss of a couple of key players (Froome, Dumoulin) makes it a little more open I guess. I find the TdF one of the less interesting races in general. At least the opening week parcours looks a bit more interesting than the usual fare.

I heard that Frome was out. I'm a little more excited that there might be a more wide open race. I love watching the country side in France.  Really beautiful.  I am concerned  about the heat wave out there and how that will effect the racers.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3031 on: June 30, 2019, 05:18:06 AM »
I did my own favourite "tour" today, Staveley Store return, 58km; the lamb burrito and flat white did not disappoint. 

I did have to rug up for the ride, brrr.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3032 on: July 10, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
While LeTour is still in the boring stages... the Women's Giro has been very fun to watch.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3033 on: August 30, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »
As a belated birthday gift, Karen treated me to some new cycling shoes:

Pearl Izumi MTB shoes. Normally $95 at REI, luckily went on sale for 25% off the day before we went in.

Though virtually all my riding is on pavement, I decided to stay with MTB pedals and shoes, in my case base model SPD pedals and cleats. I’m accustomed to them, and they’re much easier to walk in than the Look road pedals/cleats I’ve used in the past.

Anyway, done one ride in them so far, and like them.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3034 on: August 30, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
in my case base model SPD pedals and cleats

SPDs are probably the best for all around do everything cleats - just about everything except serious road riding - they let go just a little too easy for my fearsome attacks.  I have them on my winter road bike, but I have road pedals for my summer road bike.

Last Friday, a guy was almost killed (still in a coma) at an intersection I go through all the time.  Wasn't his fault (car ran the red) but an experienced safety-forward rider could probably have avoided it.

And Saturday, I witnessed a guy crashing into the ditch right next to me - I didn't know him but stopped to offer help, he was in bad shape, ambulance came to get him.

And Wednesday I broke my chain!  It was my own install about a month ago, and I probably buggered it up, leading to breakage.  I had the LBS put a new one on this morning - they did in 10 minutes what would've taken me 90, so I saved time and frustration, and I have more confidence in it now.

I'm probably about due for new rims too.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3035 on: September 03, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
I took my first ride in over a year? I think. I rode my MTB for about an hour. I've been having an ongoing issue with my spine (or what's left of it) but, I am happy to report no difficulties.     :D
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3036 on: September 03, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
I took my first ride in over a year? I think. I rode my MTB for about an hour. I've been having an ongoing issue with my spine (or what's left of it) but, I am happy to report no difficulties.     :D

Cool!

I was going OK with my "comeback", got myself up to 2.5 hour rides until a bit over a month ago when I got a bit of a head cold virus, which eventually went away but then so did I on travels, during which I then developed a chest cold, cough, phlegm etc etc. Still on the back end of that and it's giving me the shits. Feel fatigued.

I did a light rehab gym session yesterday, and even with very light work I'd sweat. Debating whether to try 15-min on the bike trainer today and see how I feel. Still have a cough :(

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #3037 on: September 03, 2019, 06:53:00 PM »
I need to get back into riding. It's been 2 years
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3038 on: September 06, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »

SPDs are probably the best for all around do everything cleats - just about everything except serious road riding - they let go just a little too easy for my fearsome attacks. 

I’m a bit paranoid about my feet getting trapped, so I keep my SPD’s set quite loose.

Road riding up a hill a couple years ago I missed a shift into granny gear at very low speed, could not unclip my right foot in time, and toppled at very low speed head first into a guardrail and scraped up my right forearm. Even with the helmet I saw stars and was slightly befuddled for the rest of the ride home. Without a helmet I have no doubt a more serious concussion would have been likely.

On that point, having just turned 70, I cannot deny my balance and coordination are not what they were a decade or more ago. My endurance is coming back nicely, however. It appears my maximum attainable heart rate is down about 10 bpm, from 180 to 170, but I think that’s to be expected with age. Anyway, it’s like Dirty Harry said, “Sometimes a man’s got to know his limitations!”

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3039 on: September 07, 2019, 02:46:15 PM »

I’m a bit paranoid about my feet getting trapped, so I keep my SPD’s set quite loose.

I have never found myself embarrassingly off my mountain bike still attached to me.  Those spd's seem to magically detach sometime between the mistake and the ground.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:44:57 AM by lonely moa »

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3040 on: September 07, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
I was a bit underdressed for my 60km coffee loop yesterday, but the midway stop was well worth it.  A new issue at the Staveley Store, a pork belly pie, and of course a table in the sun out of the cold winter breeze, made for a lovely refreshment break. 

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3041 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »
It was sunny today!

I ate oatmeal and ClifBars.
Amend and resubmit.