Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 137930 times)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #1560 on: May 18, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
And who eats just a burger and hotdog?  Would you like fries with that? How about a soda? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #1561 on: May 18, 2019, 11:29:23 AM »
Also, the meat in the burger would not count as highly processed. It’s just ground beef.  Processed, but not highly processed.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1562 on: May 18, 2019, 02:08:03 PM »
Fries also have nearly half their calories from fat, they just have a lot less protein and more carbs than the burger.

Of course if the burger patty doesn't count as highly processed, then neither do fries.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1563 on: May 18, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
And actually, any mass-produced reconstituted meat pruduct, such as McDonald's burger patties, is in fact ultraprocessed according to the study.

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/nova
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1564 on: May 18, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »
And who eats just a burger and hotdog?  Would you like fries with that? How about a soda? 

Actually, I am no longer the only oddball that gets a bare sausage or meat pattty at a bbq.  The white bread and what passes for tomato sauce (ketchup) add nothing to the feed but cleaner fingers, but there is always a serviette about.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #1565 on: May 18, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
And actually, any mass-produced reconstituted meat pruduct, such as McDonald's burger patties, is in fact ultraprocessed according to the study.

The hotdog would, the beef patty would not, by that definition.

Online CarbShark

LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #1566 on: May 18, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
Fries also have nearly half their calories from fat, they just have a lot less protein and more carbs than the burger.

Of course if the burger patty doesn't count as highly processed, then neither do fries.
That would be true of the fries you make at home but not McDonalds fries.
McDonald's French Fry Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt.

Offline RubyDuckman

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »
Taken as a whole, with the condiments and "cheese", it certainly would qualify.

Quarter Pound 100% Beef Patty*

Ingredients: 100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.
Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper).*Weight Before Cooking 4 oz.

Quarter Pound Bun

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Sesame Seeds, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Dextrose, Guar Gum, Vinegar, Vegetable Proteins (Pea, Potato, Rice), Sunflower and/or Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors, May Contain One or More Dough Conditioners (DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Mono and Diglycerides, Enzymes), Modified Food Starch.

Contains: WHEAT.

Pasteurized Process American Cheese

Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Citric Acid, Enzymes, Soy Lecithin, Color Added.

Contains: Milk, Soy.

Ketchup

Ingredients: Tomato Concentrate from Red Ripe Tomatoes, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Natural Flavors.

Pickle Slices

Ingredients: Cucumbers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Alum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Natural Flavors, Polysorbate 80, Extractives of Turmeric (Color).

Onions

Ingredients: Onions.

Mustard

Ingredients: Distilled Vinegar, Water, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric, Paprika, Spice Extractive.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/quarter-pounder-with-cheese.html

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »

McDonald's French Fry Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt.

[/quote]

Perfectly good potatoes poisoned by vegetable oil.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline RubyDuckman

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1569 on: May 18, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »

Perfectly good potatoes poisoned by vegetable oil.
[/quote]Not sure how virtue signaling relates to the study.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Online CarbShark

« Reply #1570 on: May 18, 2019, 05:58:10 PM »
Taken as a whole, with the condiments and "cheese", it certainly would qualify.

I'm curious if the study would have considered that 100% ultra-processed, or 80% (minus the patty).

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1571 on: May 18, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »

The article literally uses a picture of a burger to illustrate the ultraprocessed diet...

Online CarbShark

« Reply #1572 on: May 18, 2019, 06:11:51 PM »

The article literally uses a picture of a burger to illustrate the ultraprocessed diet...

Yea, I'll let you know when I read the study.

FWIW, if they call a McDonalds hamburger 100% ultra-processed that would bother me.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1573 on: May 18, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »

Yea, I'll let you know when I read the study.

FWIW, if they call a McDonalds hamburger 100% ultra-processed that would bother me.
Whether or not McDonald's burgers count, I strongly doubt the macronutrient quantities vary hugely from one brand of burger to another.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1574 on: May 18, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
Very cool and intellectually honest to assume the study in any way supports your ideas about nutrition without even reading it, though.

personate-rain