Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 138520 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #1725 on: June 08, 2019, 05:12:05 PM »
I don't know, and neither does anybody else.

Another militant agnostic...

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #1726 on: June 15, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »
A study by Loren Cordain (who’s a proponent of the Palaeolithic Diet) in 2000 gives as the mean maximum tolerable protein intake for an 80 kg adult male as 250 g per day (with a range of 212 to 292 g), owing to the toxic effects of excessive amino acid consumption.

Incidentally, based on estimates of the plant based/animal based food ratios of diet in a large number of historical hunter-gatherer societies, and varying fat percentages of animal-based food sources, the proportion of carbohydrates to fat in the diet varied between 22%/58% and 40%/23%, none of which match CarbShark’s target of 10%/70% (although the higher carbohydrate diets are noted to be excessive in amino acids owing to an assumption of leaner meat, necessitating higher protein intake to replace calories from fat).

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/71/3/682/4729121
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1727 on: June 15, 2019, 08:57:31 PM »
A study by Loren Cordain (who’s a proponent of the Palaeolithic Diet) in 2000 gives as the mean maximum tolerable protein intake for an 80 kg adult male as 250 g per day (with a range of 212 to 292 g), owing to the toxic effects of excessive amino acid consumption.

Incidentally, based on estimates of the plant based/animal based food ratios of diet in a large number of historical hunter-gatherer societies, and varying fat percentages of animal-based food sources, the proportion of carbohydrates to fat in the diet varied between 22%/58% and 40%/23%, none of which match CarbShark’s target of 10%/70% (although the higher carbohydrate diets are noted to be excessive in amino acids owing to an assumption of leaner meat, necessitating higher protein intake to replace calories from fat).

The 10-20-70 ratio of carbs to protein to fat is for weight loss and weight loss maintenance. That wasn't an issue for hunter gatherer societies.

The 250g per day of protein would be 35% of calories, which is indeed high.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #1728 on: June 15, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »

The 10-20-70 ratio of carbs to protein to fat is for weight loss and weight loss maintenance. That wasn't an issue for hunter gatherer societies.

The 250g per day of protein would be 35% of calories, which is indeed high.

Lonely Moa had claimed that the ‘Palaeolithic Diet’ (I put it in apostrophes since there’s no single diet in hunter-gatherer societies) is more typical of low carbohydrate/high fat ketogenic diets, whereas the estimates of macronutrient proportions don’t come close to ketogenic levels of carbohydrate intake.

That said, for about the umteenth time - I accept that ketogenic diets are perfectly acceptable, but I don’t accept that they’re  the ‘best’ diets, because there’s no evidence that they lead to longer life expectancy and health - because the studies haven’t been done (if you have the studies, then provide links to them).

I think that the best diet for attaining and maintaining a healthy body weight is the one that works for a person.  And it varies from person to person.  You proselytise for your ketogenic diet.  I don’t proselytise for my high carbohydrate/low fat vegetarian diet (which I think is effective mainly because I also use intermittent fasting, eating only one meal a day without snacks), and I don’t suggest that it’s for everyone.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?