Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 161652 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #2025 on: December 08, 2019, 07:17:23 AM »
Administrator Comment This thread is for LCHF discussions and should be kept as such.

Well, LCHF ketogenic diets have been done to death, and it’s not worth starting a new thread on having breakfast or not.  CarbShark started this digression with his cited paper on the weight loss and weight maintenance strategies of female physicians.  Intermittent fasting is the most popular strategy, which naturally includes missing breakfast.

Whatever you do, don’t start a new thread and transfer comments.  If you do, and one of my comments is first, I’ll delete all the comment, because I don’t think it’s worth a separate thread.  I’m not trying to convince anyone they should skip breakfast.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2026 on: December 08, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »
Then how about you stop talking about IF here and there will be no need to split the thread.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2027 on: December 08, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
Administrator Comment This thread is for LCHF discussions and should be kept as such.

Well, LCHF ketogenic diets have been done to death, and it’s not worth starting a new thread on having breakfast or not.  CarbShark started this digression with his cited paper on the weight loss and weight maintenance strategies of female physicians.  Intermittent fasting is the most popular strategy, which naturally includes missing breakfast.

Whatever you do, don’t start a new thread and transfer comments.  If you do, and one of my comments is first, I’ll delete all the comment, because I don’t think it’s worth a separate thread.  I’m not trying to convince anyone they should skip breakfast.
Moderator Comment You are free to delete whatever comments you like. But you do not dictate the way in which this forum is moderated.
The reason new threads are started, split and merged is for ease of use for the user base and to prevent people interested in a topic they have clicked on from having to scroll through pages of unrelated posts. This will continue to be done in the way that is deemed most efficient by the mod team.
Boorishly hijacking threads with unrelated gripes or unrelated topics is both disrespectful to other users and flat out childish.
This forum and its moderation standards may not be to your liking and thats absolutely fine! The barrier to exit is non existent.
This post is an explanation of process, not an invitation to debate. Further off topic posts will be treated as disregarding the previous modbox.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2028 on: December 08, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »
Then how about you stop talking about IF here and there will be no need to split the thread.

Well, CarbShark started it with a cited paper showing that in a self-selected survey of the weight loss and weight maintenance strategies of female physicians that intermittent fasting was the most popular strategy overall, well ahead of ketogenic and low carbohydrate calorie restricted diets.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2029 on: December 09, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »

Online CarbShark

« Reply #2030 on: December 09, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
It’s the same one we talked about a year ago. Nothing new or peer reviewed here. Just more reliance on a small short study for “proof”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2031 on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:54 PM »
It’s the same one we talked about a year ago. Nothing new or peer reviewed here. Just more reliance on a small short study for “proof”

It’s a review of studies, so it’s (by definition) not new.  He’s discussing his and others’ research.

You’re a peer review fetishist.  Peer review doesn’t mean a paper is right.  It just means that it’s not obviously wrong to the two or three anonymous peer reviewers.

And your peer reviewed articles just demonstrate that your low carbohydrate/high fat ketogenic diet is effective for weight loss in the overweight and obese.  They don’t demonstrate that it’s safe for weight maintenance in people of all sizes and shapes including the lean, long term over years and decades.

When you find such studies, then tell me about it.  Until then, stop wasting my time with your ideological quasi-religious devotion to your diet.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #2032 on: December 10, 2019, 02:56:31 AM »

Online CarbShark

LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #2033 on: December 10, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »

So what happened was she had an undiagnosed pancreatic tumor that caused hypoglycemia due to high insulin levels.

None of the symptoms she had have ever been associated with the Keto diet in any study and women often breast feed while on keto with no issues.

This video is just a lot of hype and a lot of nonsense.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2034 on: December 10, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »

So what happened was she had an undiagnosed pancreatic tumor that caused hypoglycemia due to high insulin levels.

None of the symptoms she had have ever been associated with the Keto diet in any study and women often breast feed while on keto with no issues.

This video is just a lot of hype and a lot of nonsense.

Anecdotes again.

What I want are studies showing that low carbohydrate/high fat ketogenic diets are safe long term (over years and decades) for people of all sizes and shapes, including the lean.  Not just your short term studies showing that it’s an effective diet for losing weight in the overweight and obese, and that their blood lipid profiles improve from their baseline while they’re losing weight.

We already know that low carbohydrate and high carbohydrate diets are associated with higher mortality.  Your argument that the ‘low carbohydrate’ isn’t low carbohydrate enough, and somehow the U-shaped curve of mortality will reverse and become an N-shape, but that’s an assertion without evidence.

I want data.

Online CarbShark

LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #2035 on: December 10, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »
Does this sound familiar?

Adventists believe the Bible favors vegetarianism. Shouldn't their dietary studies tell us that?

Why should a nutrition researcher's faith tradition matter? Because an Adventist ministry of healing includes the promotion of a plant-based diet. In response to a recent Forum News Service question asking if Adventism seeks to move the public towards a plant-based diet in keeping with religious beliefs about the foods that promote health, Shin responded in the affirmative.

"Yes," he replied, "because the original diet given to man in the garden of Eden as described in the Bible was a plant-based diet, Seventh-day Adventists believe that this is the ideal diet for maintaining and restoring health." Shin added that the purpose of the AMEN organization is to inspire Christian medical professionals "to incorporate whole person care into their practices," and he disputed that its mission is to bring about dietary change.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:17:37 PM by CarbShark »

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #2036 on: December 10, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »

Adventists believe the Bible favors vegetarianism. Shouldn't their dietary studies tell us that?

I neither know nor care what you're insinuating, but the Adventist Health Study is one of the most rigorous prospective cohort studies ever undertaken.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #2037 on: December 10, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »

I neither know nor care what you're insinuating

Bias. Researcher bias. He as much as said so

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #2038 on: December 10, 2019, 10:36:05 PM »

I neither know nor care what you're insinuating

Bias. Researcher bias. He as much as said so

Well, I'll assume that whoever "he" is is full of shit, until I have some good evidence to the contrary. 
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2039 on: December 10, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »

Why should a nutrition researcher's faith tradition matter? Because an Adventist ministry of healing includes the promotion of a plant-based diet. In response to a recent Forum News Service question asking if Adventism seeks to move the public towards a plant-based diet in keeping with religious beliefs about the foods that promote health, Shin responded in the affirmative.

"Yes," he replied, "because the original diet given to man in the garden of Eden as described in the Bible was a plant-based diet, Seventh-day Adventists believe that this is the ideal diet for maintaining and restoring health." Shin added that the purpose of the AMEN organization is to inspire Christian medical professionals "to incorporate whole person care into their practices," and he disputed that its mission is to bring about dietary change.

Spillover again.

This thread is devoted to low carbohydrate/high fat ketogenic diets and your inability to demonstrate that they’re safe long term (years and decades) for people of all sizes and shapes, including the lean, not just the overweight and obese using them for weight loss in the short term.

personate-rain