Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 27934 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #405 on: December 14, 2016, 11:03:15 PM »
Hey, if any of you skeptics happen to have a LCHF fanatic dieter on your holiday shopping list, might I suggest:

"The Case Against Sugar" by Gary Taubes

I can't believe this has slipped under my radar! 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2016, 04:42:48 PM »
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db267.htm

Life expectancy is indeed declining.
We can't conclude that "life expectancy is declining" from data showing a decline for a single year, and a tiny, 0.1 year, decline at that.  Additionally, the decline seems to be entirely among those under age 65, suggesting that the decline that year was not due to an increase in chronic lifestyle diseases.  Indeed, if you look at the webpage, you'll see that an increase in cardiovascular deaths was more than offset (by a factor of 2) by a decline in cancer deaths.

From statistician Andrew Gelman's blog: "Calm down. American life expectancy isn't falling.... The drop in US life expectancy last year was the smallest among six drops between 1960 and 2015...half the size of the next smallest drop." 

The change was 1.5%, but the standard deviation in year-to-year change is 4%.  In other words, the "drop" is statistical noise.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:48:15 PM by jt512 »

Offline gmalivuk

• Well Established
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #407 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »
That doesn't follow. If chronic-lifestyle diseases includes obesity, then it's not unusual that it would claim more victims under 65. Especially considering that the leading cause of death is heart disease and that is the major risk factor for obesity.
So an increase in heart disease, 80% of whose victims are over 65, is supposed to explain why life expectancy at birth went down but life expectancy at 65 didn't?
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #408 on: December 24, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
Merry Xmas All. I think I'll have to be applying the 80/20 rule after opening my presents.  There may not be any wheat in those chocolate chip biscuits.... but.  And she got me a big jar of dark chocolate peanut butter.  Oh no!  It is too good.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #409 on: January 03, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I heard a physician (on the Jimmy Moore show) say that one of the hundred controls (n=100, AHA diet) in her research obesity/T2D project(two years) called her up and wanted to be moved to the intervention arm as her friends in that arm had lost heaps of weight and stopped taking their meds. 

Warren Zevon

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2017, 01:59:50 PM »
How a Western diet leads to overeating and obesity: Peripheral endocannabinoid signaling identified as a pharmaceutical target for overeating associated with diet-induced obesity --

ScienceDaily
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170111184359.htm

More than two in three adults in the United States are considered overweight or obese, with substantial biomedical and clinical evidence suggesting that chronic overconsumption of a 'western diet' -- foods consisting high levels of sugars and fats -- is a major cause of this epidemic. New research now shows that chronic consumption of a western diet leads to overeating and obesity due to elevations in 'peripheral endocannabinoid signaling.'
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
Thanks.  I just re-listend to an older interview with Alan Cooper (director of the Australian centre for ancient DNA) and he waxed potently against the grain based agricultural revolution... worst mistake ever, he says.

www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/audio/20148635/alan-cooper-exploring-human-history

Warren Zevon

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »
How a Western diet leads to overeating and obesity: Peripheral endocannabinoid signaling identified as a pharmaceutical target for overeating associated with diet-induced obesity --

ScienceDaily

More than two in three adults in the United States are considered overweight or obese, with substantial biomedical and clinical evidence suggesting that chronic overconsumption of a 'western diet' -- foods consisting high levels of sugars and fats -- is a major cause of this epidemic. New research now shows that chronic consumption of a western diet leads to overeating and obesity due to elevations in 'peripheral endocannabinoid signaling.'

Now that was good reading.  I can't wait until they develop the medication they describe in the article.  I just don't want to stop eating my western diet because I get so much pleasure from eating.  If I could take a pill that has no other effect than making me get less pleasure from eating, I'd drop weight for sure.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »

ScienceDaily

Not sure how I have managed a BMI of 21 and bodyfat of 10% for all of my life, but judicious and mindful eating must have played a part.  Now at nearly 65, intermittent fasting does the job... just skip breakfast, keep carbs below 100gm/day and I can pig out as much as I like on really great tasting food.  Oh, an active lifestyle doesn't hurt.

Now that was good reading.  I can't wait until they develop the medication they describe in the article.  I just don't want to stop eating my western diet because I get so much pleasure from eating.  If I could take a pill that has no other effect than making me get less pleasure from eating, I'd drop weight for sure.

Warren Zevon

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
https://nyti.ms/2ir52pI

Big Sugar’s Secret Ally? Nutritionists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #415 on: January 14, 2017, 12:37:57 AM »
Hey, if any of you skeptics happen to have a LCHF fanatic dieter on your holiday shopping list, might I suggest:

"The Case Against Sugar" by Gary Taubes

I am bouncing between "TCAS" and "Sapiens".  Taubes is a brilliant writer.

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
An interesting new study on the "Paleo Diet".  I liked this line in the discussion:

The subjects on the Paleo-type diet did complain that the volume of food that they had to eat was excessive and without our encouragement would likely have lost more weight.

It wasn't a low carb diet, but the intervention group didn't eat wheat flour, but had their carbs from vegetables.  Makes me continue to think that if I was diabetic, I'd seek out professional advice that encouraged this sort of change in diet.  I mean, how many intervention studies does one need to be convinced that diet matters and that a lower carb, higher fat diet of food that was recently alive and minimally processed contributes to better health.

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v69/n8/full/ejcn201539a.html

Warren Zevon

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #417 on: January 24, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
An interesting new study on the "Paleo Diet".  I liked this line in the discussion:

The subjects on the Paleo-type diet did complain that the volume of food that they had to eat was excessive and without our encouragement would likely have lost more weight.

It wasn't a low carb diet, but the intervention group didn't eat wheat flour, but had their carbs from vegetables.  Makes me continue to think that if I was diabetic, I'd seek out professional advice that encouraged this sort of change in diet.  I mean, how many intervention studies does one need to be convinced that diet matters and that a lower carb, higher fat diet of food that was recently alive and minimally processed contributes to better health.

We adjusted caloric intake so as to minimize any weight loss.

It's no wonder those eating the "paleo diet" complained they were being overfed. One of the commonalities between LCHF and Paleo is that you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. Eating past satiety makes this study of something other than the paleo diet. What's the point of that?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »

We adjusted caloric intake so as to minimize any weight loss.

It's no wonder those eating the "paleo diet" complained they were being overfed. One of the commonalities between LCHF and Paleo is that you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. Eating past satiety makes this study of something other than the paleo diet. What's the point of that?

That's a bit rude. 

The trick is, two meals a day for me.  Plus bulletproof coffee and pudding after tea.  I sem to be able to hang onto my 65kgs that way and still have a very active lifestyle.  I made "paleo" pizza last week, cauliflower, almond flour and egg crust.  I was surprised that it was totally eatable with my fingers.  A little higher calorie (much higher fat) than a normal crust, but that was swamped by the bacon and cheese anyway.

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #419 on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
A friend of my wife (friend since Uni) visited recently.  She suffers from irritable bowel syndrome; has for years.  Some time ago, her consultant gastroenterologist told her there wasn't anything he could do for her, but knowing she was an intelligent practicing scientist, he wrote a note on a piece of paper and handed it to her and said this might help. 

She said he had written "FODMAP".  My wife's friend has treated herself and never looked back. 

Warren Zevon