Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 162357 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
You should have been on the peer review committee.

I would have recommended that the paper be published.  The authors acknowledge the limitations of the study.  Unfortunately, some readers don't.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2016, 05:02:08 PM »

I would have recommended that the paper be published.  The authors acknowledge the limitations of the study.  Unfortunately, some readers don't.

You would have recommended a study that is worthless be published?

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »

You would have recommended a study that is worthless be published?

By "worthless," I meant that the study had little hope of finding an association between dietary cholesterol and the study outcomes.  But it is important to publish null findings to avoid publication bias.  It's one thing that epidemiology gets right, unlike, say, experimental psychology.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
Everything here to make some roll their eyes in this interview.  Mainstream conventional medicine goes Bulletproof; seems Mark and Dave are great pals.  Dr Hyman seems to have made a rather large change in his dietary recommendations to his patients (and himself) with regards to fat.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/mark-hyman-meat-is-the-new-ketchup-288/

A great conversation and a good advert for Hyman's new book. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2016, 08:23:15 PM »

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #216 on: March 08, 2016, 12:05:45 AM »

How come nobody posted this story?

http://news.usc.edu/92558/processed-meat-may-increase-the-risk-of-breast-cancer-for-latinas-usc-study-finds/

It sounds very complex.  And just what constitutes a 'Latina'?

Typically, a woman of Latin-American descent. Latina is a subset of Hispanic, but Hispanic would also refer to Iberian (Portuguese, Spanish national) and some of their other colonies outside Latin America.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #217 on: March 08, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
So Latinas might be differentiated by their native American genetic influence.  Or are these Latinas only singled out because they are from the USA?  The line about the colorectal cancer increase and processed meat study makes me wonder about about bias.

Offline PB67

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #218 on: March 08, 2016, 07:04:58 PM »
So Latinas might be differentiated by their native American genetic influence.  Or are these Latinas only singled out because they are from the USA?  The line about the colorectal cancer increase and processed meat study makes me wonder about about bias.
Oh the irony.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #219 on: March 09, 2016, 12:01:22 AM »
Oh the irony.

The lead author, Mariana Stern, is a vegan.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2016, 12:50:06 AM »
Oh the irony.

It is well known that a vegan's aura interacts with the t distribution, skewing the resulting p-values.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #221 on: March 09, 2016, 04:31:05 AM »
Oh the irony.

Have you examined the dietary habits of he authors of the pro-LCHF studies in this thread?
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #222 on: March 09, 2016, 12:28:55 PM »
Oh the irony.

Have you examined the dietary habits of he authors of the pro-LCHF studies in this thread?

I have.  Mark Hyman, and others, have changed from vegetarians to omnivores.  The health benefits of a high fat diet are just too large to ignore.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
Oh the irony.

I have.  Mark Hyman, and others, have changed from vegetarians to omnivores.  The health benefits of a high fat diet are just too large to ignore.
So....their science ISNT biased because they follow the diet they are recommending? But hers is because she is making a claim about processed meat (not even close to a vegan stance)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
Oh the irony.

You do realize that there are high-fat vegetarian options, right?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

personate-rain
personate-rain