Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 162354 times)

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
2604 posts and you still haven't figured out how quote tags work? (Not a big deal, perhaps, but it sort of amounts to you putting words in my mouth.)
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
2604 posts and you still haven't figured out how quote tags work? (Not a big deal, perhaps, but it sort of amounts to you putting words in my mouth.)

Fixed.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »
I actually just came over here to see if Lonly Moa was still getting shit about his dietary leanings.   I have no idea what the science says on any of this, any more than it's complicated, and we really just don't know.

I mostly cut all grains and sugars out of my diet, but otherwise didn't change anything.  I have had continuing gut and bowel problems over the last 15 years, and I finally just did what my dad did about the time I was born and cut all non-veggie carbs out of my diet.  Okay, occasionally I eat a square of dark chocolate or a few bites of ice cream.  My gut and butt problems went away.  I don't even fart any more.  And I lost 15 pounds without even thinking about it (I wasn't that big in the first place, and no, it's not water weight, it's actual weight).  Since then, I've been listening to and reading a lot of material and science on LCHF.  Most of it is beyond my understanding, and obviously 'the experts' can't even come to similar conclusions.  So I'm just gonna keep doing what makes me feel better.  And I'm not the only one who feels better on this type of diet.  The human digestive system is obviously extremely complex, and differs wildly from person to person.  If someone is having a hard time with (mild, chronic) health issues, or weight, I always recommend they start by adjusting their diet and see what works for them (and seeing a real doctor, of course).  HF diets work extremely well for some people, and not for others.  There are literally TENS OF THOUSANDS (sample size good enough)of people on Reddit who have been doing HFLC diets and had great success with them, in losing weight and improving overall health.  I don't think the government of our country should be pushing a specific set of dietary guidelines, but there should be better education around understanding how your diet may effect your health, and how a diet that works for others may or may not work for you.  Trying to claim one diet is good or bad for all the people seems....pointless.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
I actually just came over here to see if Lonly Moa was still getting shit about his dietary leanings.   I have no idea what the science says on any of this, any more than it's complicated, and we really just don't know.

I mostly cut all grains and sugars out of my diet, but otherwise didn't change anything.  I have had continuing gut and bowel problems over the last 15 years, and I finally just did what my dad did about the time I was born and cut all non-veggie carbs out of my diet.  Okay, occasionally I eat a square of dark chocolate or a few bites of ice cream.  My gut and butt problems went away.  I don't even fart any more.  And I lost 15 pounds without even thinking about it (I wasn't that big in the first place, and no, it's not water weight, it's actual weight).  Since then, I've been listening to and reading a lot of material and science on LCHF.  Most of it is beyond my understanding, and obviously 'the experts' can't even come to similar conclusions.  So I'm just gonna keep doing what makes me feel better.  And I'm not the only one who feels better on this type of diet.  The human digestive system is obviously extremely complex, and differs wildly from person to person.  If someone is having a hard time with (mild, chronic) health issues, or weight, I always recommend they start by adjusting their diet and see what works for them (and seeing a real doctor, of course).  HF diets work extremely well for some people, and not for others.  There are literally TENS OF THOUSANDS (sample size good enough)of people on Reddit who have been doing HFLC diets and had great success with them, in losing weight and improving overall health.  I don't think the government of our country should be pushing a specific set of dietary guidelines, but there should be better education around understanding how your diet may effect your health, and how a diet that works for others may or may not work for you.  Trying to claim one diet is good or bad for all the people seems....pointless.

Welcome to the party!

Just to emphasize one point. We do not know what the ideal diet for humans is. Nor do we know what the ideal weight loss diet for overweight and obese humans would be.

But we do know that the diet specified in the current (and previous) US dietary guidelines is not it, and, for weight loss, we also know a calorie-restricted low fat diet is not it.

The ideal human diet is probably much closer to the Paleo diet. The ideal weight loss diet is probably much closer to the LCHF/Ketogenic diet.

The problem is, that thanks to the entrenched opinions in the field, we (mainstream medical and nutritional science) have given up looking for the ideal diet for humans. In some cases there is an assumption that it's the dietary guidelines, in other cases, for various reasons, people give up before trying.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
In my humble and entirely uneducated opinion, I agree that the current dietary guidelines, and the idea of putting refined sugar (HFCs, whatever, same thing) and flour in goddamn near everything just to avoid fat is probably one of the worst things we've done to the health of our population.  But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Glad to see others fighting the good fight for me.  I'm gonna go read some books on psychology.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
Thank you Karyn and I am over the moon that you have regained your health.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
http://harvardmagazine.com/2016/05/are-all-calories-equal

More LCHF blasphemy and heresy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
One of this season's low carb lambs.  Thank you.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »
Science in Action!  Drs Ludwig and Eades confront Kevin Hall's ketogenic metabolic study.  Interesting to read the study being taken apart by experts with an opposing view, and actually show how the opposing view was not so opposing.  Hall's study has not yet been published so the periscope version is all I cound get.

https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/defense-of-the-insulin-carbohydrate-model-redux-a-response-to-kevin-hall-37ea64907257#.m9tamcceg

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/05/06/contradictions-and-cognitive-dissonance-the-kevin-hall-effect/

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
Taubes and "Why We Get Fat" nd the "Biggest Loser".  A new trial with David Ludwig.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-taubes-why-we-get-fat-20160511-story.html

The "Biggest Loser" study, published in 'Obesity', is very interesting.  The average weight regain after 6 years was enormous.  The average metabolic decrease (average of -500kcal/day) was gobsmacking.  Looks like the participants were taken for a ride.  But then again, even bariatric surgery patients have a 60% rate of weight regain to and above baseline. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/full

Best idea IMHO, eat an easy to follow a tasty and satisfying high fat diet that excludes highly processed carbs like grains and sugar (and vegetable oil).  No hunger, no visceral obesity and no treadmill time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:56:55 PM by lonely moa »

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
Jimmy Moore has compiled a great stack of lectures from the SA LCHF symposium.  Worth a look.  If you're interested you'll have the link bookmarked.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2016, 02:20:50 AM »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
And did you all get one of these in your morning paper?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/eat-fat-to-get-thin-30-years-of-flawed-dietary-advice-is-disastr/

I've been looking for a version of the report these articles are based on. As much as I agree with everything they say, I'm a little concerned about the sources.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2016, 05:02:46 PM »
And did you all get one of these in your morning paper?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/eat-fat-to-get-thin-30-years-of-flawed-dietary-advice-is-disastr/

I've been looking for a version of the report these articles are based on. As much as I agree with everything they say, I'm a little concerned about the sources.

I was looking for that same thing....  Just came back here to see if anyone had a link.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
Dr Aseem Malhotra is the lecturer in todays SA LCHF series.  He was introduced as one fo the 10 brightest young thinkers in Britain.... for what that's worth. He is a very experienced surgical cardiologist.

personate-rain