Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 162377 times)

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #345 on: September 06, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
I'm a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump, so I'm going to have a chat with my endocrinologist about this.  I'm kind of tired of being overweight,  sleepy, and hungry all the time.  Here's an interesting article about the subject that contains opposing points of view for whether a type 1 diabetic should attempt a LCHF diet.  The primary drawback pointed out by the opposition is that it is hard to predict blood sugar levels on a LCHF diet.  Well, it is hard for me to predict them on a HCHF diet, too, so I see no harm in trying it.  I'll see what the doc says at my next appointment.

https://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/attachments/DV58-2_Debate.pdf

Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #346 on: September 06, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »
I'm a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump, so I'm going to have a chat with my endocrinologist about this.  I'm kind of tired of being overweight,  sleepy, and hungry all the time.  Here's an interesting article about the subject that contains opposing points of view for whether a type 1 diabetic should attempt a LCHF diet.  The primary drawback pointed out by the opposition is that it is hard to predict blood sugar levels on a LCHF diet.  Well, it is hard for me to predict them on a HCHF diet, too, so I see no harm in trying it.  I'll see what the doc says at my next appointment.

Intetesting article.  You might look up Dr Richard Bernstein.  He is an engineer turned physician (at the age of 50).  He has been T1D since youth and is the guy that pushed hard enough to get diabetics to be allowed to do home testing.  Surprising to think when glucose monitors are ubiquitous.  He still runs a clinic, I think and is very much into low carb diets for the condition.  Seems to be a bunch of you tube stuff as well.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #347 on: September 06, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »

You may want to discuss this paper with your Dr.

Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base - Nutrition

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext

TID is a challenge. The key is to avoid overmedicating when on a LCHF diet as it is the medication that can lower BG to dangerous levels. One thing is that once your body is fat adapted, you'll be able to do quite well on lower BG levels, and your pump may need adjustment. You should definitely work with a physician. If your GP or Endocrinologist won't work with you on trying this, I'd suggest finding ones who will.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #348 on: September 06, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
The latest Joe Rogan interview (with Chris Kresser) is just great.  Not LCHF, really, but a great conversation.  As usual, one needs to fast forward about 6 minutes of ads at the beginning.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #349 on: September 10, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »
Stephan Guyenet's talk at the 2016 AHS is very interesting.  Calories in=calories out.  Boring but true.  He made no attempt at explaining how one keeps to such a weight loss programme, though.  Hunger suppression via a LCHF diet just isn't in his repertoire... or any other plan for that matter.

It's the After the Bell segment in the last issue of Latest in Paleo.  Easier to listen to than to watch, IMO.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
I have an appointment next Friday with my endocrinologist and a nutritionist to get advice on how to try a LCHF diet as a type 1 diabetic.  I'm slowly eating all the carbs in the house, and I will replace them with meat, fish, cheese, lettuce, etc when I go shopping again.  I'll see how long I can go before I just have to have that Twinkie.

One of the challenges I'll face is if I give myself a little too much insulin, I'll have to eat carbs to raise my blood sugar.  I'm going to have to be very careful about this.  If I keep having lows every 4 days or so, then I'll never stay in ketosis.
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
I have an appointment next Friday with my endocrinologist and a nutritionist to get advice on how to try a LCHF diet as a type 1 diabetic.  I'm slowly eating all the carbs in the house, and I will replace them with meat, fish, cheese, lettuce, etc when I go shopping again.  I'll see how long I can go before I just have to have that Twinkie.

One of the challenges I'll face is if I give myself a little too much insulin, I'll have to eat carbs to raise my blood sugar.  I'm going to have to be very careful about this.  If I keep having lows every 4 days or so, then I'll never stay in ketosis.

At first, artificial sweeteners can be a crutch to help get over your sugar addiction/habit/cravings/sweettooth. Don't use too much sweeteners (some can be yucky in more than small amounts).

There's sugar free jellos and sugar free chocolates from Trader Joes and Russel Stover and other brands.

But, once you have gone into ketosis, and are comfortable with the diet, I recommend going 30 days without anything sweet. No sugar or honey, of course, but also no fruits at all; no sweet tasting veggies and no artificial sweeteners. It's 30 days, not a life sentence. After the 30 days is up you can add a little sweet back, and you may find you don't need or want as much and that all of your food tastes better. You'll be able to enjoy foods you used to find too bitter or sour.

If you're on Facebook, Dr. Westman (an author on that article I posted) has a Low Carb Support group for patients at his clinic at Duke University. A good number of his patients are TI and TII diabetics, and you can get good answers to diet and food questions there. (Not medical advice, but good diet advice).

HTH

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2016, 03:16:49 PM »
I've found that trying to eat low carb sweets with artificial sugars just makes me more likely to cheat with things full of refined wheat and sugar.  I don't even have that much of a sweet tooth to begin with. For some, it helps with cravings, for most it does not.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »
I plan to limit my artificial sweetener to 2 diet sodas a day.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #354 on: September 13, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »
If you're on Facebook, Dr. Westman (an author on that article I posted) has a Low Carb Support group for patients at his clinic at Duke University. A good number of his patients are TI and TII diabetics, and you can get good answers to diet and food questions there. (Not medical advice, but good diet advice).

I'll look that up.  Luckily, I don't know enough about the argument you and jt512 are having, so I won't care about all the truths or lies on that page.  I'll just ask the T1 diabetics questions about how they deal with issues if I have any.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »
I've found that trying to eat low carb sweets with artificial sugars just makes me more likely to cheat with things full of refined wheat and sugar.  I don't even have that much of a sweet tooth to begin with. For some, it helps with cravings, for most it does not.

I totally agree with that. (We had a whole long, bitter thread devoted to artificial sweeteners not long ago)

But, when shifting from a high carb high sugar diet to a LCHF diet, the transition can be difficult and AS can help. But once you're fat adapted and in Ketosis, I, personally, recommend going 30 days with no sweet flavors at all, to break the habit/addiction or whatever you want to call it. You'll find you don't need any sweets at all and you won't want more than a tiny fraction of what you had been eating.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #356 on: September 14, 2016, 02:39:31 AM »
There's articles in blogs and the NY  Times and then there's this:

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2548255#.V9gVu7DcurE.twitter

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »
For a VLCHF diet, if something has 14g of carbs but 6g of dietary fiber, does it only count as 8g of carbs?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #358 on: September 15, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
For a VLCHF diet, if something has 14g of carbs but 6g of dietary fiber, does it only count as 8g of carbs?

On Atkins, yes. You deduct the grams from fiber and sugar alcohols (which are artificial sweeteners) from total carbs to calculate net carbs.

On Dr. Westman's LCHF Ketogenic diet you don't, just us total carbs. The stricter plan is what Westman uses at his clinic, and is probably better for diabetics. Fiber and sugar alcohol can increase BG in some people more than in others or faster. Probably depends on gut biome. With total carbs your blood glucose will be more stable.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #359 on: September 15, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »
Let's say I figure out that my BG does go up in that scenario.  I have an insulin pump and can easily deal with that.  Is it really the amount of carbs that make this diet work, or is it the amount of insulin?  Being able to exactly track the amount of insulin I use could be very helpful here.  I've had several tests over the years that show that my body produces exactly zero insulin.

personate-rain