Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 162355 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »

She said that the trick is to realize that it is the serotonin release I get from eating crap that makes me want more food, not actually being hungry. 

Not scientific and not supported by evidence. But then nutritionists aren't scientists and the field is not evidence based.
She says to find something else that will meet the serotonin craving instead of food, because just ignoring it probably won't work.

Again, not scientific and not supported by evidence.

I don't know what that's supposed to be, but I guess I'll try it. 

Yoga? Astrology? Heroin?

Today is Day One, but it started out like crap at 2:30am went my sugar went low and I crammed my face with Fruity Pebbles, a popsicle, and some grape juice.  So Day One officially started at 8am when I woke up.  So say we all.

Seems like complex carbs at night (starchy veggies) which take longer to raise glucose, but keep raising glucose for a longer period, might help avoid LBG during the night.

Well, her point about me not actually being hungry but wanting food anyway is accurate, though her reason may not be confirmed.  I know that I want to eat all the time, but I sure shouldn't be hungry based on what I eat.

Your recommendation about complex carbs at night is good, but the issue wasn't what I ate the night before, it was how much insulin I gave myself to correct for a high blood glucose.  Too much, apparently.

The LCHF theory suggests that the reason our bodies are hungry when we have so much stored energy is because we're eating so much sugar and other simple carbs.

Yes, your management of blood sugar with insulin is what led to the drop in blood sugar. The LCHF theory suggests that if you keep glucose intake moderate you can avoid the kinds of large swings in blood glucose that require larger doses of insulin.

With help from an expert with experience working with T1 diabetics on LCHF diets you could learn to keep blood sugar levels moderate, and steady and use much less insulin.  (What's scary for many diabetics and professionals, is once you have experience on the LCHF diet you'll realize that blood sugar below 80 is perfectly fine. (For you now that would probably be a signal to have a couple snickers bars?)

Had you eaten a complex carb before bedtime, your blood sugar would not have dropped as far, as more would have gradually entered your bloodstream. Had you learned to manage your blood sugar on a LCHF diet you wouldn't have used as much insulin to lower your blood sugar.

Before there was insulin injections LCHF diet was the only treatment that would keep T1 diabetics alive. And LCHF diets were integrated in treatment long after insulin injections were introduced.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2016, 10:11:56 AM »
All of that may be true, but here's how I understand the situation with Type 1 diabetics.  Diabetic Ketoacidosis can put me in a coma and is Bad with a capital B.  It happens when a person goes a little beyond ketosis.  Ketosis is when the body produces ketones, which the brain can use for energy, but if the body produces too many ketones, a person can go into ketoacidosis because of <insert science talk here>.

For a type 1 diabetic who doesn't make any insulin, this is a real risk even without being in ketosis.  It doesn't take long going without any insulin for the body to ramp up its ketone production because it is being starved for glucose.  If I'm already in ketosis and my pump runs out of insulin while I'm at the beach or something, it is a very short trip to ketoacidosis for me.  That's a bit more risk than I'm willing to take on.  There are a hundred ways I could accidentally go without insulin for too long, and I need that extra layer of protection that not being in ketosis all the time gives me.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
Also, you are right about the Snickers bar.  If my glucose dips down to 79, I can feel it.  If it goes all the way to 70, I'm grabbing a Snickers.  If it goes past 70, I'm grabbing a box of Snickers and to hell with the high glucose I will get afterwards.
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
I just saw this on fox news:  http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/09/25/why-outdated-information-is-to-blame-for-weight-gain.html

Basically, it says no to worry about calories.  Rather, eat less simple carbs and sugars, and eat in meals instead of multiple snacks.  That's what my nutritionist said, too.  I am realizing yesterday and today that it is very hard for me to stop eating multiple small portions and group them into fewer big portions.  I will work on that harder this weekend, but that's when it is the most difficult because I'm home near all the food.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »
Since you're interested, here's some food for thought.

LCHF TID

Type 1 Diabetes – Low Carb RN (CDE)
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes/

LCHF for type 1 diabetes
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/lchf-for-type-1-diabetes/

Type 1 diabetes Archives - Diet Doctor
https://www.dietdoctor.com/category/health-problems/diabetes/type-1-diabetes

Type 1 Diabetes and LCHF – A Great Combination - Diet Doctor
https://www.dietdoctor.com/type-1-diabetes-and-lchf-a-great-combination

One Year on an LCHF Diet with Type 1 Diabetes - Diet Doctor
https://www.dietdoctor.com/one-year-lchf-diet-type-1-diabetes

LCHF success stories from type 1's | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lchf-success-stories-from-type-1s.64155/

Low-carbohydrate diet proven to be very effective in type 1 diabetics (just as you’d expect) | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health
http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/06/22/low-carbohydrate-diet-proven-to-be-very-effective-in-type-1-diabetics-just-as-youd-expect/

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #380 on: September 30, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
Wow, I'm not THAT interested.  Can you pick one that best addresses the risk of ketoacidosis and I'll read that.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
The first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
The first

First of all, I appreciate all this info.  I am learning tons.  I read the entire first article you linked.  I don't have a problem with anything it says.  It just fails to mention what happens if you are not a perfect diabetic and accidentally miss a dose of insulin.  Nutritional Ketosis is great and all, but it is definitely closer to Ketoacidosis than a traditional diet.  I really don't want to fall asleep one night not realizing that my pump is out of insulin and wake up in the hospital.  Those anecdotes in the articles are almost certainly from people who are very careful about that sort of thing.  It would be great to see a study that shows the safety of an LCHF diet across a bunch of people, and that explains why my fear is unjustified.  Until some studies like that are published, I have to go with what my doctor says rather than with the anecdotes, even if they are from doctors.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »
Wow, I'm not THAT interested.  Can you pick one that best addresses the risk of ketoacidosis and I'll read that.

Hmm... I don't have Diabetes (I or II) and I read all of those and a few others that weren't as good or repetitive. Why am I THAT interested?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #384 on: September 30, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
The first

First of all, I appreciate all this info.  I am learning tons.  I read the entire first article you linked.  I don't have a problem with anything it says.  It just fails to mention what happens if you are not a perfect diabetic and accidentally miss a dose of insulin.  Nutritional Ketosis is great and all, but it is definitely closer to Ketoacidosis than a traditional diet.  I really don't want to fall asleep one night not realizing that my pump is out of insulin and wake up in the hospital.  Those anecdotes in the articles are almost certainly from people who are very careful about that sort of thing.  It would be great to see a study that shows the safety of an LCHF diet across a bunch of people, and that explains why my fear is unjustified.  Until some studies like that are published, I have to go with what my doctor says rather than with the anecdotes, even if they are from doctors.

That's actually a complex question. The difference between nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis is the amount of ketone bodies in the blood. The range for typical Nutritional Ketosis is from 0 to Below 0.6 mmol/L. I have never tested about 0.3.

The level for ketoacidosis is above 1.5 mmol/L (although others say anything above 1 is risky and 1.3 is the threshold). 

But, there isn't a straight line between the two. It would be impossible for a non-diabetic to LC his way from nutritional ketosis to ketoacidosis. A T1-D could go to nutritional ketosis; but they would have to make medication and dietary changes to go from there to ketoacidosis, as I understand it. Although it's portrayed as a linear process, it's not. The only thing "linear" is the measurement of the ketone concentrations in blood.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:57:19 AM by estockly »

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #385 on: October 01, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »

Hmm... I don't have Diabetes (I or II) and I read all of those and a few others that weren't as good or repetitive. Why am I THAT interested?
Reading a bunch of articles that you found on your own and found interesting is very different from being directed to a bunch all at one with no indication of precisely what sort of information each might have. It's the same reason people who read a lot for pleasure might skip or procrastinate assigned reading in school.

At minimum, you could have indicated which articles are explicitly based on large-scale studies with accessible findings.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #386 on: October 01, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »

Reading a bunch of articles that you found on your own and found interesting is very different from being directed to a bunch all at one with no indication of precisely what sort of information each might have. It's the same reason people who read a lot for pleasure might skip or procrastinate assigned reading in school.

At minimum, you could have indicated which articles are explicitly based on large-scale studies with accessible findings.

Those were all very general articles that describe who LCHF doctors and medical professionals and patients handle TID with low carb diets. We weren't discussing a specific claim, I was providing background information since you seemed interested. (Earlier in the thread I linked to a peer reviewed article that made the case for LCHF in treatment in TI and TII diabetes).

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #387 on: October 03, 2016, 09:37:02 AM »

I don't know.  Different people find different things interesting.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2016, 01:33:52 AM »
Chris Kresser postd a look at some new research on mice and humans regarding NAS and intestinal biota.  The results showed increased impaired glucose intolerance in both mice and humans.  Good if one wants to become a type two diabetic.

Plenty of links to the studies in the article.

https://chriskresser.com/how-artificial-sweeteners-wreak-havoc-on-your-gut/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=share&utm_term=sweetners-wreck-havoc&utm_content=&utm_campaign=blog
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #389 on: November 16, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
Cancer and diet

http://m.carcin.oxfordjournals.org/content/35/3/515.long

(Oh, and fuck cancer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

personate-rain