Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 162361 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #555 on: April 02, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »

Cholesterol: False
refined carbs: True
cigarettes: True
alcohol: Not exactly

I think you know less about cholesterol than we did 10 years ago and even less than we know today.

Dietary cholesterol has minimal impact on serum cholesterol. (Eggs are fine.)

Serum cholesterol is tracked indirectly via various markers. Some cholesterol (HDL / LDL Large particles) is good for your.
Some cholesterol (LDL small dense particles) is unhealthy.
Fasting serum triglyceride levels are also linked with CVD and other health issues.

How many pounds of red meat do you eat per week?  How many eggs per week?  Max amount of alcohol in one day?

I'd rather talk about science than anecdotes. Even my own.

Are you sure or are you embarrassed?  You seem to love posting about anecdotes, how do I rate in your logical fallacy expertise?

No, actually I'm quite pleased with my diet and happily discuss it with anyone and everyone (I think people around here can confirm that) but I've learned discussions of anecdotes don't really move understanding of the issues any further.

You may have me confused with someone else.

I don't know enough about you to know anything about your employment of logical fallacies, or, your biases (which is what I believe you were responding to).

As to the direct answer to your question...

(click to show/hide)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #556 on: April 13, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
More ammo for lifespan and higher total cholesterol.  Thanks Sweden.

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/older-people-with-high-cholesterol-live-longer/
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #557 on: May 24, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5950743/

We asked participants to alter their habitual mixed Western diet to that of a very low-CHO high-fat diet for 4 weeks and examined its effect on physiological variables during a graded exercise test and a HIIT bout. While substantial changes in substrate oxidation were found, with heightened levels of fat oxidation and blood lactate concentration in the VLCHF group, we found no adverse effects of a 4-week VLCHF diet on any aspect of performance during either the GXT or the HIIT bout in these recreationally-trained participants.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:02:23 PM by CarbShark »

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #558 on: May 24, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5950743/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but my N=1 convinced me long ago.  Nice to see P. Maffetone as one of the authors.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #559 on: May 24, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
Phil Maffetone? P. D. Mangan?

Now we're posting anti-aging quacks on a skeptic forum?

"My N=1" is just a sciency-sounding way of saying "my own personal opinion."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:12:04 PM by John Albert »

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »

Maffetone is very successful coach and forged the use of heart rate training.  A long time ago but winners are still using the template.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #561 on: May 24, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »

Maffetone is very successful coach and forged the use of heart rate training.  A long time ago but winners are still using the template.

Even Nobel laureates are not immune from quackdom.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #562 on: May 24, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »

Wow, the threshold for calling someone a Quack around here seems to be that if you disagree you must be a quack.

Maffetone: 6 selected items - PubMed - NCBI

Update on Aging - Dr. Phil Maffetone

All humans do it. The months and years pass and we get less efficient with our bodies and brains. We slow down, and it happens whether we are couch potatoes or Olympians. There is no stopping it—anti-aging is a myth. We can, however, significantly control the pace at which aging occurs by being healthier and more fit. The difference is physiological versus chronological aging.  - Dr. Phil Maffetone

Such quackery </sarcasm>

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #563 on: May 26, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »
Wow, the threshold for calling someone a Quack around here seems to be that if you disagree you must be a quack.

PubMed is just a repository for research papers. Having one's name on some documents on that website is not a stamp of authenticity indicating the person isn't full of shit.

Maffetone's quack status has nothing to do with my opinions about low-carb diets. Phil Maffetone has made a lifelong career out of alt-med quackery.

Besides the fad diet stuff, Maffetone is also a licensed acupuncturist and a leading practitioner of the CAM nonsense known as applied kinesiology. His so-called "doctorate" is in the pseudoscience of chiropractic. 

http://myeastrand.co.za/the-big-book-of-health-and-fitness/

You're apparently so caught up in the bullshit that you'll believe anybody who promotes it, without even bothering to check out their backgrounds.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:08:07 PM by John Albert »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #564 on: May 26, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »

PubMed is just a repository for research papers. Having one's name on some documents on that website is not a kind of stamp of authenticity indicating the person isn't full of shit.

Maffetone's quack status has nothing to do with my opinions about low-carb diets. Phil Maffetone has made a lifelong career out of alt-med quackery.

Besides the fad diet stuff, Maffetone is also a licensed acupuncturist and a leading practitioner of the CAM nonsense known as applied kinesiology. His so-called "doctorate" is in the pseudoscience of chiropractic. 

http://myeastrand.co.za/the-big-book-of-health-and-fitness/

You're apparently so caught up in the bullshit that you'll believe anybody who promotes it, without even bothering to check out their backgrounds.

Founder of MAF - Dr. Phil Maffetone
Dr. Maffetone has also worked with other endurance athletes of all types, professional baseball and football players, adventurers, NASCAR drivers, and Olympic medalists in a variety of sports.

I looked through his entire website and found no mention of acupuncture, scant mention of chiropractic, and that wasn't promoting it.

His expertise seems to be in physical fitness and endurance training and as the fourth author on a peer-reviewed study directly related to that subject I don't see an issue.

How do you feel about the other four authors of the peer reviewed study?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #565 on: May 26, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
Remember, the "fad diet" is probably what you are eating.  Humans have ben fasting and incorporating as much fat and organ meat in our diet as possible for as long as we have been human.  Some humans have been been eating wheat, barley and rice for the only the last few thousand years, just a few percent of our time as a species.  Humans are well adapted to what you call a "fad diet", not what you think is normal. 

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #566 on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »
I looked through his entire website and found no mention of acupuncture, scant mention of chiropractic, and that wasn't promoting it.

The depth of your denial is really astounding. Maffetone's credentials are touted by booksellers that carry his books and podcasters who interview him. Yet for some reason his own website inexplicably fails to mention where he got his "doctorate." It's funny that his website doesn't mention that, and equally funny that you deigned to cite any other source than his own website. Googling the search terms "maffetone" and "chiropractic" and "kinesiology" returned two pages of results that list his credentials.

Dr. Maffetone has a bachelor’s degree in human biology and a doctorate in chiropractic, with certifications in physiotherapy, Chinese medicine, and kinesiology.
http://www.nourishbalancethrive.com/podcasts/nourish-balance-thrive/phil-maffetone-doctor-coach-author-teacher/

Dr. Philip Maffetone is an applied kinesiologist who has been in private practice since 1977. He's an authority on alternative medicine, has a background in biochemistry and exercise physiology, and is certified in meridian therapy (acupuncture) and physiotherapy. He also holds a bachelor's degree in human biology and a Ph.D. in chiropractic.
https://www.outsideonline.com/1831311/guests-phil-maffetone-endurance-sports-doctor

Maffetone also writes for a Chiropractic and Applied Kinesiology website called Spinewise, which identifies him as an Applied Kinesiologist and Chiropractor: http://www.spinewise.com.au/fit-but-unhealthy.aspx

You didn't look very closely at his own website either. On the "about" page, it says:

Schooled in the fields of human biology, kinesiology, physiotherapy and Chinese medicine
https://philmaffetone.com/about/

Here on his own website he enthusiastically promotes chiropractic along with several other types of CAM woo. He even makes the bullshit claim that chiropractic can actually make a patient taller:

A successful intervention also produces other easily measured changes such as greater spinal length, which increases your height — sometimes enough so that you may need to adjust your car mirror on the way out.

The benefits of improved muscle balance occur through slightly different pathways depending on the technique. For example, a Swedish massage can reduce the stress hormone cortisol. Cranial therapists work through the skull and temporomandibular joints, while those performing manipulation adjust spinal, foot and other joints. Most therapies that use muscle-testing are biofeedback-based, improving communication between the brain and muscles to re-establish proper balance.

There are hundreds of other types of remedies across the world provided by a multiplicity of professionals with an equal variation of educational degrees: physical therapists, osteopaths, acupuncturists, massage therapists, chiropractors, and many others.

Some approaches even incorporate several assessment and treatment tools into one organized approach, influencing neuromuscular balance through diet and nutrition, exercise, and mental-emotional factors. Chinese medicine, for example, uses acupuncture, color and music therapy, skeletal and muscular manipulation, diet and herbs, mental-emotional interventions, and exercise.

In general, it’s not so much that different therapies provide different benefits, or that one approach is better than another. The most important factor is the expertise and experience of the practitioner, especially in their ability to first assess the body and differentiate primary causes from secondary symptoms. Important assessment tools include obtaining a detailed health and fitness history (such as the MAF app), along with a physical examination that includes posture, gait and muscle testing.

While there are hundreds of named therapies, with many different theories and philosophies, their remedies primarily come down to improving brain and neuromuscular balance. When this happens successfully, we literally get taller — and the old rearview mirror position has to change.
https://philmaffetone.com/tag/chiropractor/

In the SEC registration for Maffetone's company Vital Living, Inc., Maffetone's credentials are listed as follows:

Dr. Maffetone attended the Rochester Institute of Technology where he received a B.S. in Human Biology and a Doctor of Chiropractic Degree from the National College of Chiropractic, Lombard, IL. He has also received post-doctoral certifications in meridian therapy (acupuncture), physiotherapy and applied kinesiology. He has been a member of the International College of Applied Kinesiology since 1980

From 1989 until 1994, he was chairman and chief executive officer of the International College of Applied Kinesiology.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1145700/000104746904000871/a2126463zsb-2.htm
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:38:56 PM by John Albert »

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #567 on: May 26, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
How do you feel about the other four authors of the peer reviewed study?

I think that posting these "peer reviewed studies" as if they're conclusive evidence betrays a lack of understanding of how science works.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #568 on: May 27, 2018, 02:25:24 AM »
Maffetone's list of champions he has coached speaks volumes. 

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #569 on: May 27, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
Yeah because as we all know, professional athletes never fall for pseudoscientific bullshit.

The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

personate-rain