Author Topic: Baldur's Gate you guys  (Read 3672 times)

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Baldur's Gate you guys
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »
So the port of Baldur's Gate to smart phones is pretty great.  Like X-COM I wouldn't want to do it on a screen smaller than mine (5.5") and it's really handy to have a phone with a stylus, but it is every bit as immersive for me now as it was 16 years ago.

(I have some connections to it - the D&D group I joined in college was once the D&D group of the lead designer for Baldur's Gate, and several of their PCs have cameo roles in the game.  And one of the guys ended up working at Bioware for years and years and fed me cheat codes on the side lol.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Baldur's Gate you guys
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Nice!  I'd be over the moon if this somehow resulted in new isometric D&D CRPGs for android, haha. 

The Enhanced Edition ports run natively on Linux, too. 

FYI: There's a new isometric CRPG coming out called Pillars of Eternity which is from a lot of the same people as were behind the D&D CRPGs of yore.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
I was gonna grab it (note 2) but the price is too steep, imo. $5 sure, but $10 is too much. Also looking at the xcom game. Maybe all of them will be in some super humble mobile bundle soon.

Also.. icewind dale (liked it more than BG) and planescape torment

Offline 0grae0

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • face-palm for the win!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »
Im playing BGT enhanced edition on my pc, never even finished BG1 "back in the day".  Im loving it!

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
Ive got BG:EE on steam and on my tablet, and BG2:EE waiting on steam as well. I just need to force myself through the Candlekeep stuff until I get to the good bits. So much nostalgia.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
I had a phase, one summer, of playing baldur's gate pretty much all night every night. It was a pretty great game. Don't know if I'd go back to it now, seeing how Dragon Age is pretty much the same game with a huge technical upgrade, set in a slightly different universe.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:54 AM »
I had a phase, one summer, of playing baldur's gate pretty much all night every night. It was a pretty great game. Don't know if I'd go back to it now, seeing how Dragon Age is pretty much the same game with a huge technical upgrade, set in a slightly different universe.

You should go back, and then you'll realise that Dragon Age is significantly inferior. It doesn't even have Minsc, and that is the least of the problems.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
I am using dropbox to play the same game at home and on my phone (or on any platform with access to dropbox and the install, really).  I am effing loving it!  Added plus is the addition of the wild mage, which I also love to play.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:51:03 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
I finished off the first one and jumped straight into the second one.  About to assault the vampire lair in the Athkatla graveyard...

(My favourite thing about Minsc is that Jim Cummings completely re-used that voice for two other characters - the bounty hunter Hondo in Star Wars Clone Wars and Chef Pasghetti in Curious George, both of which play in my house with some frequency.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Argh, I want to replay it all now. But I have misgivings about getting the enhanced edition and don't have a CD drive in my laptop and can't just reinstall and mod.

Online amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »
It is the enhanced editions (of both BG and BG2) that have been ported (perfectly) to smartphones.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
It is the enhanced editions (of both BG and BG2) that have been ported (perfectly) to smartphones.

Yeah. I just have problems with outside developers meddling with the original game, and re-releasing it for quite a hefty price for a game that is, in the case of BG 1, 17 years old. Especially since I have the original, which can be modded to a state that is superior to the enhanced edition.

Online amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:28 AM »
It's about the format for me.  I'm not at a place in my life where I could play BG (I have both on CD still myself) on a proper computer, but on my phone is no problem.  I don't begrudge the 20 bucks (10 each), even if it's to an outside developer - especially since my buddy who worked at BioWare at the time gave me BG2 for free so I never paid for it the first time.  :)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »
Argh, I want to replay it all now. But I have misgivings about getting the enhanced edition and don't have a CD drive in my laptop and can't just reinstall and mod.
It's available for like $6 on GOG.com and I am told a certain forumite even created a long-winded and boring YouTube video about what features to check when selecting mods.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Which reminds me.  What do you use to do your Let's Play vidyas?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

personate-rain