Author Topic: NHS set to ban homeopathy for patients  (Read 131 times)

Offline richiegusto

• Brand New
Re: NHS set to ban homeopathy for patients
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
90,000 GBP per annum doesn't sound like much in the NHS scheme of things. But I'm relieved NHS weren't paying much. Hopefully this will also filter to other patients who cam stop giving money away to pseudoscience.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »
Indeed, the significance alone is a win. 

Also, the critic they quoted, is she talking about poor migrants?
imposing blanket policies on GPs, that don’t take into account demographic differences across the country, or that don’t allow for flexibility for a patient’s individual circumstances, risks alienating the most vulnerable in society.

It sounds like she's talking about poor migrants with pre-modern sensibilities about medicine.  A little cultural friction between modernity and pre-modernity on something as cut and dry as modern medicine seems worth it. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Physicity

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
I didn't see anything about migrants in the article.  I've known people who swear by homeopathy, and they were middle class white British folk who could certainly afford it.  One was a band 7 radiographer in the NHS.

Something that doesn't seem to be addressed in the article is that the NHS is a political pawn as much as a health service.  Health is emotive.  It wins and loses votes for politicians. Taking free healthcare options away from people - even homeopathy - is politically dangerous.  I don't know how much the general public understands that the NHS resources are limited and must be targeted to proven options, but this move to get rid of money drains is welcome.  Realistically, it could only happen when budgets are under intense pressure, as they are are at the moment.