Author Topic: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got  (Read 88853 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got
« Reply #870 on: May 22, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
It's a somewhat flawed argument, but it made me laugh anyway.

Not only is he a libertarian, he's a full-on Ayn Rand Objectivist...
...and an eager swallower of Cato bullshit on climate change.   He is an object lesson for all skeptics lest they get too smug about how woo-woo proof they are.

He made some fairly ignorant comments at TAM6, which people called him out on, so he made some further statements at TAM7 (I was there) which pretty much retracted all of them. I'd be pretty surprise if he still believed that climate change isn't real.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #871 on: May 22, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
It's a somewhat flawed argument, but it made me laugh anyway.

Not only is he a libertarian, he's a full-on Ayn Rand Objectivist...
...and an eager swallower of Cato bullshit on climate change.   He is an object lesson for all skeptics lest they get too smug about how woo-woo proof they are.

Yeah... If I'm not mistaken, he is or was actually a fellow at Cato. My info there might be a little out of date as I kind of gave up on that duo after reading about that while I was delving into climate science. Sacred cows, I guess.

Somehow it's never the werecows, though. }|:ó(
Mooohn!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #872 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:06 AM »
Wikipedia does say that he is still a fellow at the Cato Institute.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #873 on: May 23, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #874 on: May 23, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »

(Note, it is about the entire species and planet.)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190524.html

Boulders on Bennu
Image Credit: NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center, University of Arizona
Explanation: An abundance of boulders litters the surface asteroid 101955 Bennu in this dramatic close-up from the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft. Taken on March 28 from a distance of just 3.4 kilometers (2.1 miles) the field of view is about 50 meters across while the light colored boulder at top right is 4.8 meters tall. Likely a loose conglomerate rubble pile asteroid, Bennu itself spans less than 500 meters. That's about the height of the Empire State Building. Mapping the near Earth asteroid since the spacecraft's arrival in December of 2018, the OSIRIS-REx mission plans a TAG (Touch-and-Go) maneuver for July 2020 to sample Bennu's rugged surface, returning the sample to planet Earth in September 2023. Citizen scientists have been invited to help choose the sample collection site.

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #876 on: May 24, 2019, 07:42:13 PM »
I've been wondering is that loose rocks and boulders on the surface, or is it loose rocks and boulders all the way down?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:28:31 PM by John Albert »

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #878 on: May 24, 2019, 09:00:35 PM »
I've been wondering is that loose rocks and boulders on the surface, or is it loose rocks and boulders all the way down?
Either way or something in-between.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #879 on: May 25, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
How much gravity would it take to crush a random collection of rocks into a solid core?

And why are they rocks anyway?

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #880 on: May 25, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
How much gravity would it take to crush a random collection of rocks into a solid core?

How much of a disturbance would it take to break up a random collection of rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #881 on: May 25, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »

How much of a disturbance would it take to break up a random collection of rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #882 on: May 25, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »
Just a guess, but it might be like dust accumulation on a bigger scale. The dust on the surface is always loose, but as more dust gets piled on top, the aggregate weight from above causes the inner material to be compressed tighter and tighter into a solid mass.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #883 on: May 25, 2019, 10:46:55 PM »
What else would they be?
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time

personate-rain