Author Topic: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got  (Read 91635 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got
« Reply #885 on: May 26, 2019, 06:04:03 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #886 on: May 26, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #887 on: May 26, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »

A Solar Prominence Eruption from SDO
Image Credit & Copyright: NASA/Goddard/SDO AIA Team
Explanation: One of the most spectacular solar sights is an erupting prominence. In 2011, NASA's Sun-orbiting Solar Dynamic Observatory spacecraft imaged an impressively large prominence erupting from the surface. The dramatic explosion was captured in ultraviolet light in the featured time lapse video covering 90 minutes, where a new frame was taken every 24 seconds. The scale of the prominence is huge -- the entire Earth would easily fit under the flowing curtain of hot gas. A solar prominence is channeled and sometimes held above the Sun's surface by the Sun's magnetic field. A quiescent prominence typically lasts about a month, and may erupt in a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) expelling hot gas into the Solar System. The energy mechanism that creates a solar prominence is still a topic of research. After our Sun passes the current Solar Minimum, solar activity like eruptive prominences are expected to become more common over the next few years.

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #888 on: May 27, 2019, 12:49:02 AM »
I've been wondering is that loose rocks and boulders on the surface, or is it loose rocks and boulders all the way down?

The quoted excerpt describes it as "likely a loose conglomerate rubble pile asteroid".
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #889 on: May 27, 2019, 03:22:05 AM »
I've been wondering is that loose rocks and boulders on the surface, or is it loose rocks and boulders all the way down?

The quoted excerpt describes it as "likely a loose conglomerate rubble pile asteroid".
Cool. Having a time with my eyes these days.  >:(

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »

Maybe more of a commercial than science, but still...
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #892 on: May 31, 2019, 05:04:06 PM »
Actually, I think this guy was first...

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #893 on: June 06, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #894 on: June 06, 2019, 08:50:42 PM »
Those names should not be blocked. Those people need to be educated.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #895 on: June 08, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »

Fuck the medical industrial complex, I'LL be the one to decide how many hours my boner should last.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #896 on: June 08, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »

Absolutely fantastic! Among the best spent 10 minutes on Youtube in a long while!
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #897 on: June 08, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
I got a couple of minutes into it before I couldn’t take it any more.  It’s just a montage of space clips having nothing at all really to do with the eras they’re supposed to represent and missing out on all of the most important events at least in the early universe.  And its depiction of the Big Bang was insulting.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #898 on: June 08, 2019, 07:29:05 PM »
I got a couple of minutes into it before I couldn’t take it any more.  It’s just a montage of space clips having nothing at all really to do with the eras they’re supposed to represent and missing out on all of the most important events at least in the early universe.  And its depiction of the Big Bang was insulting.

The opening credit sequence for "The Big Bang Theory" was better.

This is not time lapse. That would have been interesting. This wasn't.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #899 on: June 08, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »
Well it wasn't really a time lapse, but I enjoyed the visuals and I appreciate the idea behind it.

personate-rain